Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffakamax

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
USA
www.ThagBuilt.com
I agree with the previous assessment of the mini lathe's. Good for cutting your teeth with but it is what it is. If I had to replace my entire lathe/mill setup and all the goodies that go with it I'd be well over 12K.
I was taught 80% of what I know about machining by an old german man who was absolutely awe inspiring to watch work. I was 15 and had the luxury to learn on an industrial Bridgeport & Rockwell setup that was probably worth half a million even back then.

Cisco is dead on, it's all about rigidity and unfortunately rigidity means size and weight. Size and weight means $. You could probably build some pretty decent mods with a mini, but atty. connectors and tight tolerances will be problem. Not the end of the world and it is only $500.

I have to force myself to walk away from the garage. I have more ideas than time and find myself continually looking for a way to build a better mousetrap.

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement, as soon as the clear-coat dries I'll put up finished pics of "CHUCK".

Then I'll build a "LITTLE CHUCK".

...and then...

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
That'd be YOU, ya goober!!! :p:p:p

L O L mnealtx.

Then I'll build a "LITTLE CHUCK".

...and then...

Thank you Jeff for your insight , very interesting info and I see your point about spending only $500 to get started on something that seems so rewarding.

That also takes me to another question since you mention how much $$$ it could cost...

If you decided to part with it, would you be able to get a decent part of your investment back?

I can't wait to see the little Chuck. :cool:

---

jeffakamax

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
USA
www.ThagBuilt.com
CHUCK AND LITTLE CHUCK
100_1962.jpg

100_1961.jpg

and some others laying around the garage

100_1965.jpg

sio2

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Brooklyn
www.flintweisser.com
Jeff, nice job, absolutely beautiful.

warp1900:

Take a look at used South Bend lathes. They can often be found for affordable prices, and as long as the ways are good, you should be fine. That said, I purchased a 9 x 20 grizzly about a year ago, and there are certainly problems with it, but it does work. For me it wasn't the price that was the issue, but size. I couldn't fit a large lathe in my Brooklyn apartment. Everything that has been said about the small guys is true, it does take a bit longer, there aren't near as many bells and whistles, but tolerances aren't bad. Resale value on large American lathes is pretty decent.

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
Jeff, nice job, absolutely beautiful.

warp1900:

Take a look at used South Bend lathes. They can often be found for affordable prices, and as long as the ways are good, you should be fine. That said, I purchased a 9 x 20 grizzly about a year ago, and there are certainly problems with it, but it does work. For me it wasn't the price that was the issue, but size. I couldn't fit a large lathe in my Brooklyn apartment. Everything that has been said about the small guys is true, it does take a bit longer, there aren't near as many bells and whistles, but tolerances aren't bad. Resale value on large American lathes is pretty decent.

Great info sio2, and yes my only concern right now is learning how to use one. I am already looking at used South Bend lathes and tomorrow I will start searching for a shop that can teach me the basics (for some money I guess).

Thank you

C'mon Jeff , those look really nice to me on the pics. :p

---

JerriB

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Amarillo, TX
Am I to understand that you would like one? lol
Yes, yes! Very much so! Whats it run on? And what kinda attys? Do you have any bat life ideas yet? OMG, could you make it purple? Even if not, man that is the sweetest thing ever! I would totally rock it out! If you will sell it, PAH_LEEZE give me price and other info so I can start trying to find cash! I want it so bad its not even funny. It looks awesome man!

tfbncc

Jul 13, 2009
Dang, pictures like that always make me drool. I had to sell my lathe and mill when money got tight. Now that I've started vaping, I really wish I still had them, so many ideas and nothing to work with. Oh well, one day soon, I will happily be turning perfectly good metal into a pile of useless chips again. Until then, I'll have to live vicariously through your pics.

Ray

jeffakamax

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
USA
www.ThagBuilt.com
Warp,
I found myself wandering around Harbor Freight the other night and had the opportunity to check out the lathe you were wondering about.

However small you think it is in your mind - it's ¼ that size!

It's friggin tiny! You couldn't turn down a turkey leg in it. Hell, I bet with a little encouragement I chould chuck that thing up IN my lathe!

So in closing, if you are determined to buy it I offer this. Let me know and I will drive out and you can give me $450 (because I want to save you a few bucks) and I will kick you right square in Big Jim & the twins.

You will wind up with the same end result and save $50!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread