How would you find out how many wraps/size of kanthal you would need to get a specific resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewxW_

Oct 15, 2016
Hey,

probably a dumb question

I'm just learning the basics of coil building resistance in dual coil builds and how to get a specific resistance.

How would you find out how many wraps/size of kanthal you would need to get a specific resistance? like if you wanted to build a dual coil 0.5ohm build, how would you know how much kanthal is needed and how many coil wraps are needed? I tried using the Coil Wrapping calculator by Steam Engine but I some parts confuse me.

(I have learnt everything in mechanical mods, sub-ohming, coil building, battery safety.etc but I just don't get this
I ask of you kindly to not criticise me, as I'm just learning.

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I (and I know many others here as well) use this online tool - Steam Engine main page - The 'coil-wrapping' and 'wire wizard' tools are what you're looking for, but there are several tools there that you might find useful.

Reactions: Mowgli

AndrewxW_

Oct 15, 2016
    wait I think I know how to use the coil wrapping calculator now, correct me if I'm wrong.

So if I am building a 0.5ohm dual coil with 26 gauge kanthal, I write the infomation down and get the results on the right-hand side of the page.

-"Resistance wire length" means how long the kanthal has to be
    -"Number of wraps" are the number of times I have to coil it around the rod, but why does it say 12.62? How do I wrap it 12.62 times if I wanted the exact target resistance?

Also, why is the heat flux blue? it means the vape coming out will be cool right? but why? I thought sub-ohm builds were supposed to be hotter vape?

(Sorry if I sound really stupid and pointing out obvious facts)

I think I get it now.PNG

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    I (and I know many others here as well) use this online tool - Steam Engine main page - The 'coil-wrapping' and 'wire wizard' tools are what you're looking for, but there are several tools there that you might find useful.
    Click "How it works" in the lower left corner of Steam Engine's pages for more info

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    You can also hover the mouse pointer over many of the numbers in the results (the color icon too) to get more info. 'half wrap' and 'full wrap' will give you full numbers, the 'number of wraps' decimated number is an accurate but unobtainable 'number of wraps'. As for the 'wire length', while that is an accurate number, I use a bit more than that to give myself some 'elbow room'..

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hey,

probably a dumb question

I'm just learning the basics of coil building resistance in dual coil builds and how to get a specific resistance.

How would you find out how many wraps/size of kanthal you would need to get a specific resistance? like if you wanted to build a dual coil 0.5ohm build, how would you know how much kanthal is needed and how many coil wraps are needed? I tried using the Coil Wrapping calculator by Steam Engine but I some parts confuse me.

(I have learnt everything in mechanical mods, sub-ohming, coil building, battery safety.etc but I just don't get this
    I ask of you kindly to not criticise me, as I'm just learning.
    Uh huh....

A set length of resistance wire has a certain "SET" resistance.
    " Kanthal A1"
    AWG 20: Low Resistance (0.07 ohms/inch)
    AWG 22: Low Resistance (0.11 ohms/inch)
    AWG 24: Low Resistance (0.175 ohms/inch)
    AWG 26: Low Resistance (0.28 ohms/inch)
    AWG 28: Low - Standard Resistance (0.44 ohms/inch)
    AWG 30: Low - Standard Resistance (0.70 ohms/ inch)
    AWG 32: Low - Standard Resistance (1.1 ohms/ inch)
    AWG 33: Low - Standard - High Resistance (1.39 ohms/inch)
    AWG 34: Standard - High Resistance (1.76 ohms/inch)

Number of wraps, size of mandrel, shape of coil are all IRRELEVANT.

26AWG(kanA1) will be .28Ω per inch PERIOD. To make a .5Ω coil you will need two inches of wire...make as many or as few wraps as you like...

Cheers
    I

Last edited:

AndrewxW_

Oct 15, 2016
    Uh huh....

A set length of resistance wire has a certain "SET" resistance.
    " Kanthal A1"
    AWG 20: Low Resistance (0.07 ohms/inch)
    AWG 22: Low Resistance (0.11 ohms/inch)
    AWG 24: Low Resistance (0.175 ohms/inch)
    AWG 26: Low Resistance (0.28 ohms/inch)
    AWG 28: Low - Standard Resistance (0.44 ohms/inch)
    AWG 30: Low - Standard Resistance (0.70 ohms/ inch)
    AWG 32: Low - Standard Resistance (1.1 ohms/ inch)
    AWG 33: Low - Standard - High Resistance (1.39 ohms/inch)
    AWG 34: Standard - High Resistance (1.76 ohms/inch)

Number of wraps, size of mandrel, shape of coil are all IRRELEVANT.

26AWG will be .28Ω per inch PERIOD. To make a .5Ω coil you will need two inches of wire...make as many or as few wraps as you like...

Cheers
    I

cheers for the summary, appreciate it.

Reactions: Izan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread