I don't want it to explode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doughboy67

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2013
Durham, NC, USA
NO - there are NO 18350's designed to carry High Drain loads.

You can get some excellent 1.2ohm+ builds going.

Also understand - Sigelei #20 in any version is NOT a good Sub Ohm Mod. I own a few and the switch design in not happy with High current draws.

I use 18350 batteries in my pipes. What's the lowest ohm dual coil or single coil that is safe to use. Currently I have some cartos that are 1.5 ohm dual coil.

If using a Silencer VV does this negate the concern?

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
NO - there are NO 18350's designed to carry High Drain loads.

You can get some excellent 1.2ohm+ builds going.

Also understand - Sigelei #20 in any version is NOT a good Sub Ohm Mod. I own a few and the switch design in not happy with High current draws.

Efest purple 18350's are 10.5A.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Don't sub-ohm with that AW 18350.

Technically you can vape it down to .7Ω and be fine, but it'd be a warm ... battery with the worlds crappiest run-time EVER. You'd also be killing the batteries overall life-span by pushing it to it's spec limit like that.

It's just plain ol' mis-use of the product.

Hey, at least you asked though! :D

Doughboy67

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2013
Durham, NC, USA

Technically you can vape it down to .7Ω and be fine, but it'd be a warm ... battery with the worlds crappiest run-time EVER. You'd also be killing the batteries overall life-span by pushing it to it's spec limit like that.

It's just plain ol' mis-use of the product.

Hey, at least you asked though! :D

How many ohms is considered "Sub-ohm"?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I bought the Sigelei Telescopic #20 and a AW IMR 18350 700mAh Battery.

At 3.7V am I safe with sub ohms? I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Any answers or tips would be really appreciated.

The AW IMR 18350 is rated for 6 amps continuous draw. I would not go sub 1.0 ohm with that battery.

If you draw too much current from the battery it will heat up. Get it too hot and it will vent which is not safe.

You really need to learn more about this to stay safe. This thread has a lot of good info as do Baditude's blogs. Look for anything related to batteries there.

Vape safe :thumb:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Am I safe to use an ICR 18650?

ICR batteries are generally protected. If they are not protected and you draw too much current, it can explode. If they are protected and the protection fails, they can explode. IMR or hybrid batteries vent without flame when they are abused and are considered safer because of that.

Read Baditues blogs on batteries and you'll find all this information with a lot more detail on it all.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Am I safe to use an ICR 18650?

Definitely don't sub-ohm with an ICR. ICR's can be great for mechanicals, because of their longer runtime, but only if you are VERY diligent with your safety and keeping your coils well within the batteries limits. Most ICR's used these days are protected, but there is also a lot of the cheap nameless ones you may have gotten with a China mod kit, so you can't even look up it's specs. DO NOT use these in a mechanical.

A mis-used IMR battery will get hot. A mis-used ICR battery will start a thermal runaway.

facemelt_zps0a3bd4f2.gif

How many ohms is considered "Sub-ohm"?

Anything below 1Ω (sub-(1)ohm... get it? lol) so .9Ω, .8Ω, .7Ω, .6Ω etc etc

Doughboy67

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2013
Durham, NC, USA
Definitely don't sub-ohm with an ICR. ICR's can be great for mechanicals, because of their longer runtime, but only if you are VERY diligent with your safety and keeping your coils well within the batteries limits. Most ICR's used these days are protected, but there is also a lot of the cheap nameless ones you may have gotten with a China mod kit, so you can't even look up it's specs. DO NOT use these in a mechanical.

A mis-used IMR battery will get hot. A mis-used ICR battery will start a thermal runaway.

facemelt_zps0a3bd4f2.gif

Anything below 1Ω (sub-(1)ohm... get it? lol) so .9Ω, .8Ω, .7Ω, .6Ω etc etc

Thanks for dumbing it down for me!!! LOL!!! :laugh:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Efest purple 18350's are 10.5A.

I'd wait for a few Real World test before trusting the Printed Label. Labels are easy to print - you still need head room for safety also.

A 4amp jump with only a 100mah drop would be nice, however 700mah still would be exhausted rapidly in a Sub Ohm situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread