I have been wrong about air flow in RDAs all the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortenOen

Nov 16, 2016
... and maybe you have too?
I just made this video, because I have made a mockup rda to show air flow and coil placement. The result was shocking, at least to me. If this sounds interesting, please watch the video. Sorry for the length, but I think the slow movie footage from the "wind tunnel" might be of interest to a lot of people.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
@MortenOen I've really been enjoying your videos. The vape world needs more folks like you to remind people that simple, practically applied physics and logic is the kind of baseline needed to achieve a great build from any atomizer.

It's also nice to have a vape personality to watch that doesn't talk a mile a minute with jump cuts all over the place blindly recommending every device that hits the market.

Let your girlfriend know other vape nerds like what you're doing. ;)

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Well this ends up being quite funny. I recently went "back to the drawing board" for my Entheon on the grounds that I couldn't make sense of why it was working well. Scrapped it not because it sucked (it was pretty good!) but because it seemed "wrong" and thus figured I could improve it. I guess the results don't confound me anymore.

@MortenOen if you would be so kind (and maybe you've already done so), would you be willing to revisit the Entheon at some point? My current configuration performs significantly better than before, and I have a suspicion as to why, despite being completely out of the path of the air channels.

PicsArt_10-31-09.50.53.jpg

MortenOen

Nov 16, 2016
Well this ends up being quite funny. I recently went "back to the drawing board" for my Entheon on the grounds that I couldn't make sense of why it was working well. Scrapped it not because it sucked (it was pretty good!) but because it seemed "wrong" and thus figured I could improve it. I guess the results don't confound me anymore.

@MortenOen if you would be so kind (and maybe you've already done so), would you be willing to revisit the Entheon at some point? My current configuration performs significantly better than before, and I have a suspicion as to why, despite being completely out of the path of the air channels.

View attachment 697575

@VictorViper

Hi, VictorViper!
I guess your and my theory is the same... Because you make a chamber under the coil, the turbulence under the coil will reorganize to get past the narrow sides of the coil to get into the upper chamber of the RDA, and therby create an organized and cooling flow around it. As I state in my video, the use of cotton to make channels may have been the main reason for my good results before I saw the true air flow. I also used a very big coil.
With a big coil, as the one in the picture, the air channels from the side will never hit the center of the coil where it's hottest. I think, that with such a big coil, a higher placement is better on this RDA.
I have looked at the Hadely, and there the cannels point innwards. Much better for lower placement. But I just love the design of the ducts on the Entheon.
I have not the means to revisit it, my air chamber is not (yet) sofisticated enough for a job like that. I hope that this insight was of some use to you.
Best regards
M-)

MortenOen

Nov 16, 2016
I watched the video. I'm a little confused though. For the Goon should my coils be exactly even by the airflow so I can see the coils through it?

Hi dethmedalmuziq!
Hold your Goon level, and look through the three holes. Your coil should be at the same level, so that the center of all three holes hit the coil at 3 o'clock, like so "000->0". Pull cotton a bit forward on the sides so turbulence don't escape to the sides.
Hope this helps.
M-)

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
@VictorViper

Hi, VictorViper!
I guess your and my theory is the same... Because you make a chamber under the coil, the turbulence under the coil will reorganize to get past the narrow sides of the coil to get into the upper chamber of the RDA, and therby create an organized and cooling flow around it. As I state in my video, the use of cotton to make channels may have been the main reason for my good results before I saw the true air flow. I also used a very big coil.
With a big coil, as the one in the picture, the air channels from the side will never hit the center of the coil where it's hottest. I think, that with such a big coil, a higher placement is better on this RDA.
I have looked at the Hadely, and there the cannels point innwards. Much better for lower placement. But I just love the design of the ducts on the Entheon.
I have not the means to revisit it, my air chamber is not (yet) sofisticated enough for a job like that. I hope that this insight was of some use to you.
Best regards
M-)

Absolutely is, and I suspect that's exactly what is happening with this RDA. The design is so marvelous that you can actually direct the air with almost zero deviance or turbulence for the simple fact that it just has nowhere else to go.

A lot of us noticed harsh performance from the Entheon when using 3mm ID coils and some consensus was developing that going narrower would fix the issue - and it did. I feel like this new information helps me understand why that may have been the case.

MortenOen

Nov 16, 2016
Absolutely is, and I suspect that's exactly what is happening with this RDA. The design is so marvelous that you can actually direct the air with almost zero deviance or turbulence for the simple fact that it just has nowhere else to go.

A lot of us noticed harsh performance from the Entheon when using 3mm ID coils and some consensus was developing that going narrower would fix the issue - and it did. I feel like this new information helps me understand why that may have been the case.

Thank you for your insight in this. My great results with the Entheon troubled me for days, but I think we figured it out in the end. I also agree with the idea of zero deviance because of high presure due to conflicting air streams and little space. Very nice, sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread