What am I doing wrong with my coil build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichieJRich6

Apr 14, 2015
I have an ipv Mini 2 and with a Tugboat rda by Tobeco. I just got it yesterday. I built my first dual coil firing at .2 ohms. I am getting alright clouds, about the same size cloud I got for my Atlantis tank. If I fire it higher than 35watts, I start to get nasty burnt taste. I have watched many videos of people firing their iPV mini 2 at 70watts with a .2 ohm dual coil and getting huge clouds. What am I doing wrong? Any advice please?

RichieJRich6

Apr 14, 2015
I am using 26awg kanthal wire with Japenesse organic cotton. image.jpg image.jpg

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Why on earth would you do your first coil build as a .2 ohm dual? Not all .2 ohm coils are created equal, nor are all wicks, or heads, or juices.

Start at a lower scale. Wind a decent 1-ohm coil and get that to produce reasonable vapor and flavor; once you have done that you will have learned much of what you need to know to scale it up.

Wire gauge, coil diameter, wicking material and density, and in particular, airflow are all important to get major clouds. Those guys on YouTube didn't just stuff a pair of .4-ohm coils into some random head and put some wicking through them. They learned how to coil, how to wick, where to mount the coils, what type of RDA to use, and what power level works well. Starting where you did is a recipe for disappointment, if not disaster.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Why 0.2 ohms? Because someone at the shop did it or someone on YouTube did it?
0.2 ohms isn't that great of a vape anyways. I know a lot of people do it, and I have too, but I started building 0.7 which on an IPV Mini 2 would be just as good of a vape.

Seeing the picture I can see the coils could be closer the airholes when you put the top cap on. Tugboat V1? The airflow might not be enough for 0.2 ohms to be enjoyable. The one coil looks pretty distorted to me especially on the negative post side and the other coil on the right of the deck in the picture looks like it's not tightly wrapped.

A burnt taste could be the result of your coil being choked. Was there a ton of resistance when you pulled your cotton through?

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    My 26 gauge single coil was about .75 ohms. That's almost as twice the surface area as each of your coils due to the length, or almost as much as both of them. On a mech that works out to 20-24 watts. Your duals should be able to go a bit higher, or a lot higher if you draw air through it constantly (I use about 1/3 an airhole myself). But for more power I'd need more wire, either longer or thicker or both. With a regulated you shouldn't need thicker.

What power were you using with the Atlantis? It could easily have better air flow patterns, tighter chamber, than a big RDA with suboptimal airflow and not coiled to fill with vapor. The total vapor should relate to power but there's also density

There could be an imperfection in the wicking (2 coils have 2 places to mess up). Look at the coils at a higher setting and see if there's any hot spots. I've seen coils glow oddly in the dry burn also, until messed with. Your coils don't look as small as the resistance indicates.

Last edited:

ElevenEleven

ECF Veteran
    Jan 5, 2015
    I build ~.2-.3 ohms coils too, but those are for my mechs. You don't need to go so low with something regulated. But, if .2 ohm dual coils are your jam then I can give you some advice.

Coil positioning makes all the difference. Make sure your coils are out of the juice well and aligned with your airflow. Try and keep the space beneath your coil open. Looking at your build deck, something I would try to do is center your coils. This allows for better wick coverage. The burning taste could be caused from your wick being too close to your dripper's wall. Too much or too little cotton can cause issues as well. Too much, it'll choke your coil and burn. Too little, there's not enough surface area to produce gobs of vapor. You don't need your cotton to lay in your juice well. Only the ends of your wick need to touch it just enough for it to wick properly.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Eastern Ohio, USA
    Wire gauge, coil diameter, wicking material and density, and in particular, airflow are all important to get major clouds. Those guys on YouTube didn't just stuff a pair of .4-ohm coils into some random head and put some wicking through them. They learned how to coil, how to wick, where to mount the coils, what type of RDA to use, and what power level works well. Starting where you did is a recipe for disappointment, if not disaster.

^^ Truth. As resistance decreases, attention to detail becomes more critical, and experience becomes invaluable. It's not quite as simple as throwing in a double 4-wrap, stuffing it with cotton, and vaping.

kartoffelfaust

ECF Veteran
    Feb 1, 2015
    USA
    I have an iPV Mini 2 and with a Tugboat RDA by Tobeco. I just got it yesterday. I built my first dual coil firing at .2 ohms. I am getting alright clouds, about the same size cloud I got for my Atlantis tank. If I fire it higher than 35watts, I start to get nasty burnt taste. I have watched many videos of people firing their iPV mini 2 at 70watts with a .2 ohm dual coil and getting huge clouds. What am I doing wrong? Any advice please?

The coils in the pic look a little caddywhompus.
    I was just running a .4 dual 26g in my tugboat v2 this evening at about 43 watts (regulated), nothing close to a burnt hit. It wasn't a fog machine per-se, but it's way more vapor and flavor than the atlantis does.

- make sure there are no hot spots or hot legs
    - make sure wick is neither free-floating or too tight
    - make sure airholes and coils line up. If they don't you'll fry the wicks, and it'll taste like the devil's backside.

As someone else said, .2 is pretty low for a first build. Try single coil or higher gauge wire. You don't have to go big or go home on your first attempt.

Edward Aiz

Apr 14, 2015
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    At 26 GA Kanthal A1 dual coil build with a 0.2 sub ohm, inner diameter coil anywhere from 1.5mm to 3.0mm, with 3 or 4 full wraps, you shouldn't be getting a hot vape. In fact, you should be getting a pretty cool vape.

In your build, the heat capacity of each coil is 14.94 mJ K-1 (small temperature changes require pressure to maintain a liquid at constant volume, that is, allowing the material to expand or contract freely.)

In consideration that the build itself should not be giving you a hot vape it could be the wires/coil itself. So my question is twofold: what type of RDA are you using? Are the posts with peek insulators, are the posts sturdy? Second, the wire itself, where did you purchase it?

Again, your build is fine, in my humble opinion, it appears that there may be something wrong with the wiring apparatus. So please provide answers to those two questions and we'll go from there. Thanks

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Steam engine shows .2 ohm dual #26 @ 30W to have a heat flux of 332 mW/mm^2 and is indicating one shade short of bright red. So, unless that's not really the spec, no wonder can't go any higher. This link will enter in those values: Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Further, 30 watts into .2 ohms is only 2.45 volts. A mech into those coils would pull 76 watts. This has the low resistance of a high output build, but see previous paragraph. It will work, but is evidence the builder is copying bits and pieces of disconnected information.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread