Ice Storm Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Our ice storm hit a couple of days ago. It took a half hour to chisel my car free. Footing was precarious, but I managed not to fall. It was still raining, freezing rain, and I was soaked, and my eyeglasses iced up before I got back into the car. The drive home was slow and stressful, but overall uneventful. My mod and rta survived.

We suffered no power loss. Just the soaked and frozen digits of hands and strained necks and shoulders from freeing vehicles of 2 inches of ice. Best of luck to everyone else facing this crazy winter.
As long as you saved the mod...

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
1. Cleared vapocolypse shelf.
2. Charged all batteries (even stored backups) - 16 18650s and 6 18350s and 3 14500s
3. charged reserve power supplies
4. charged internal battery mods (11 of those)
5. charged 8 old ego batteries
6. charged 5 old kr808d batteries (still have cartos and T4s)
7. filled car with gas for car charger
8. mixed 250 mil of unflavored liquid

OK, bring it on. If you don't hear from me...I'll be fine.
I am shoked you dont have power banks... they are uber cheap these days!

Reactions: kbeam418

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
1. Cleared vapocolypse shelf.
2. Charged all batteries (even stored backups) - 16 18650s and 6 18350s and 3 14500s
3. charged reserve power supplies
4. charged internal battery mods (11 of those)
5. charged 8 old ego batteries
6. charged 5 old kr808d batteries (still have cartos and T4s)
7. filled car with gas for car charger
8. mixed 250 mil of unflavored liquid

OK, bring it on. If you don't hear from me...I'll be fine.

Hope all goes well Grimwald .. at least you won't have to worry about a working vape :)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
hehehehe... almost every day here has been a "red alert weather" day... so yep, making sure all batteries are charged is a must... at least i can use my mods as hand warmers.

I don't mind the weather we're getting here lately, but then again I'm not up north like you. Remember the ice storm in 2013? Here's a pic of our street once the weather had cleared:

2m81moh.jpg

I love snowstorms, but ice can be really bad!

sorrynomore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Canada
I don't mind the weather we're getting here lately, but then again I'm not up north like you. Remember the ice storm in 2013? Here's a pic of our street once the weather had cleared:

2m81moh.jpg

I love snowstorms, but ice can be really bad!

Agreed!
We had freezing rain a few weeks back,it wasn't nearly as bad as some ice storms we've had in the past....the older I get the more I dispise winter.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
i'm from the rockies originally... i still think ontario winters are milder with less snow... but we don't get the squalls or ice storms in the rockies, so it's a trade off... then again the closest town to me has a record.

level 5 earthquake and a F2 tornado on the same day ... why did i move here again?

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
i'm from the rockies originally... i still think ontario winters are milder with less snow... but we don't get the squalls or ice storms in the rockies, so it's a trade off... then again the closest town to me has a record.

I grew up in Montreal, we used to get a lot more snow than we do here now. Can remember snow storms that lasted days and snow removal couldn't keep up on the side streets. My mother once had to get a snowmobile ride from the subway to our house because the buses couldn't get through anymore. I haven't seen that kind of snowfall for a long time.

level 5 earthquake and a F2 tornado on the same day ... why did i move here again?

That's God's country .. comes with the territory :)

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
closest decent sized town to me is midland ontario, which is the town i mentioned with the quake/tornado the same day... using sleds to get around is quite common, we're looking for some new sleds for ourselves right now. being from Nelson, BC aka the kokanee glacier like the beer... i've seen snow in july, -55 and all the other joys of 9 months or more of snow... i'll take an ontario winter over that any time.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Getting some movies the ice is just about to start hitting us for today and through tomorrow. Also getting some comfort foods to make, going to make meatloaf and cheesy potatoes!!

Bring it! Mother Nature aint got squat on me! I have a gas heater in the basement that requires no electricity to work! Not part of my forced air system but it radiates heat well with where it is located! Got all the battery banks charged and enough battery power to last 4-5 days without even touching battery backups plenty of bottled water plenty of food

Reactions: Cheallaigh

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
can i come visit for that dinner/ i drive a 4x4 anyhow so i should be able to make it lmao
I love people who believe a 4x4 makes it any easier to stop on ice :D Sorry just had to say that, wasnt a dig on you at all.

I wouldnt recommend driving on ice simply due to the other idiots on the roads who have no business driving in bad weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread