If the REO is your first mod (what you will need)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
noted and thanks. ermmmm, where is the firing pin suppose to be?
Inside the mod ....below the switch...press the switch and you will see a metal tab with a point move downward. That metal tab is the firing pin. :)
RGReviewpics009.jpg

Last edited:

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
While having some discussion about battery failure in a mod, I stated "every person who buys a mod should buy and learn to use a multimeter" and I realized, that it was not posted here.

A decent multimeter can be purchased for $10-$20. You should always check batteries to make sure that they are not over-discharged or over-charged. The battery specs will tell you what the limits are, and it is very easy to flip a multimeter to the lowest volt setting and put the red lead on the positive terminal and the black lead on the negative end. Over-charge is usually in excess of 4.2v for a 3.7v battery.

Additionally, a bad atomizer can short your mod. You can easily check the ohm rating on any atomizer with a multimeter.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
While having some discussion about battery failure in a mod, I stated "every person who buys a mod should buy and learn to use a multimeter" and I realized, that it was not posted here.

A decent multimeter can be purchased for $10-$20. You should always check batteries to make sure that they are not over-discharged or over-charged. The battery specs will tell you what the limits are, and it is very easy to flip a multimeter to the lowest volt setting and put the red lead on the positive terminal and the black lead on the negative end. Over-charge is usually in excess of 4.2v for a 3.7v battery.

Additionally, a bad atomizer can short your mod. You can easily check the ohm rating on any atomizer with a multimeter.
I added this to your original post, Margie. Let me know if you want me to add anything else. :)

wigglr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Massachusetts
2 questions:
1. current (5-2011) price range and sources for 18650 Batteries & Charger (please post link and buying experience shipping etc)

2. unrelated to vaping: Are rechargable batteries more economical than alkalines? (NOT TO USE FOR VAPING BUT Radios and the like)

see below for why:
I got a grand so now i understand that I should get AW IMR18650 1600mAh LiMN rechargeable lithium battery and a charger. Looking around it seems i can expect to pay $11-$15 per battery. Is that correct? Charger 20- $50 any risks of bloiwing the batt with a cheap charger?

As it happens we use an awful lot of batteries in my house and have been buying package after package of AA and AAA batteries. While I'm shopping for my grand's batteries i figure i would try buying a charger that can also handle typical domestic sizes for radios, flashlights kids toys and the like. And then try buying a few rechargable batteries. But at $12. a pop does that make sense for flashlights, radios and toys? How long would these last--does it pay off?

so what sort of charger would that be and can anyone point me to size chart that makes equivalence for AAs etc.

Super-T shiped out quickly. I ordered 18650 AW IMR's from them and shipping was cheap and speedy. Great prices

Scarlet Fire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2010
Terrapin
I just ordered a Reo Mini and saw this thread and ordered a couple of batteries from Super T. They seem to have the best price on them. I also have some Trustfire 14500 3.7v 900maH batts I've been using in my Old Goat. Will those work on the mini, as well?

Also, any tips about where to buy a multimeter?

Thanks so much for the helpful info. I want to be fully prepared for my Mini's arrival! :)

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
I just ordered a Reo Mini and saw this thread and ordered a couple of batteries from Super T. They seem to have the best price on them. I also have some Trustfire 14500 3.7v 900maH batts I've been using in my Old Goat. Will those work on the mini, as well?

Thanks so much for the helpful info. I want to be fully prepared for my Mini's arrival! :)

Yes, the Trustfires will work.

For multimeter shopping there's eBay, RTDvapor.com, and a gajillion other vendors.

For brick and mortar shopping, there's Walmart, Sears, Harbor Freight, and hardware/home improvement stores.

You don't need an expensive multimeter. A bare bones digital meter is fine for checking voltages and resistances.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky

They (Trustfire) will "work" (ie: fire the atomizer), but not well and possibly not safely. From the ECF battery thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html:

14500 battery - 3.6 v
4.2 volts off charge, 3.6 volts in use, 3 volts minimum
14mm x 50mm (AA size)
THIS IS THE SMALLEST CELL THOUGHT TO BE SUITABLE FOR USE IN A MOD. Cells smaller than this simply do not have a high enough C rating. Not all cells of this size will have sufficient power, only AW Li-Mn [AW IMR 14500's] cells are known to be safe at this size, others may be but this cannot be stated as fact.

Multimeters can be purchased at Kmart, Walmart, Home Depot, Harbor Freight and on-line. Should cost $10-$20. Get a digital one like this Hongda DT-95B multimeter voltage meter or this Walmart.com: Equus 3300 Hands free Digital Multimeter: Automotive.

Scarlet Fire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2010
Terrapin
Yes, the Trustfires will work.

For multimeter shopping there's eBay, RTDvapor.com, and a gajillion other vendors.

For brick and mortar shopping, there's Walmart, Sears, Harbor Freight, and hardware/home improvement stores.

You don't need an expensive multimeter. A bare bones digital meter is fine for checking voltages and resistances.

Thank you for the info! I do have one more question, if you will forgive my ignorance. I have a screw on voltmeter with a 510 connection. I just looked on ebay and it looks like what they are calling multimeters are also voltmeters. Are they the same thing?

I don't see how I would be able to check the battery voltage with the meter I have without first putting the batt into the mod. Do I need to get one of the meters that have the external connectors? Or, could I put the batt into the mini and use my voltmeter, since it wouldn't be firing into an atty?

Again, please forgive my ignorance. As you can probably tell, I'm a bit lost when it comes to electrical gadgetry. :blush:

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Thank you for the info! I do have one more question, if you will forgive my ignorance. I have a screw on voltmeter with a 510 connection. I just looked on ebay and it looks like what they are calling multimeters are also voltmeters. Are they the same thing?

I don't see how I would be able to check the battery voltage with the meter I have without first putting the batt into the mod. Do I need to get one of the meters that have the external connectors? Or, could I put the batt into the mini and use my voltmeter, since it wouldn't be firing into an atty?

Again, please forgive my ignorance. As you can probably tell, I'm a bit lost when it comes to electrical gadgetry. :blush:

You need to test the batteries when they come off the charger to make sure they haven't overcharged. You just set the voltage to the lowest setting and touch the red lead to the positive pole of the battery and the black lead to the negative end.

Scarlet Fire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2010
Terrapin
They (Trustfire) will "work" (ie: fire the atomizer), but not well and possibly not safely. From the ECF battery thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html:

14500 battery - 3.6 v
4.2 volts off charge, 3.6 volts in use, 3 volts minimum
14mm x 50mm (AA size)
THIS IS THE SMALLEST CELL THOUGHT TO BE SUITABLE FOR USE IN A MOD. Cells smaller than this simply do not have a high enough C rating. Not all cells of this size will have sufficient power, only AW Li-Mn [AW IMR 14500's] cells are known to be safe at this size, others may be but this cannot be stated as fact.

Multimeters can be purchased at Kmart, Walmart, Home Depot, Harbor Freight and on-line. Should cost $10-$20. Get a digital one like this Hongda DT-95B multimeter voltage meter or this Walmart.com: Equus 3300 Hands free Digital Multimeter: Automotive.

Oh wow. I thought that since they are protected, they must be safe. I was planning to give *the other* mod (don't want to turn this into a thread about other vendors/products) to a friend once I get my Mini, but now I'm not so sure. The Trustfires are the batts recommended by the maker of that mod, though. Huh. I may want to rethink that. Thank you for the info!

Scarlet Fire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2010
Terrapin
You need to test the batteries when they come off the charger to make sure they haven't overcharged. You just set the voltage to the lowest setting and touch the red lead to the positive pole of the battery and the black lead to the negative end.

Ok, looks like I'll need to order the other kind. Thanks again!

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Oh wow. I thought that since they are protected, they must be safe. I was planning to give *the other* mod (don't want to turn this into a thread about other vendors/products) to a friend once I get my Mini, but now I'm not so sure. The Trustfires are the batts recommended by the maker of that mod, though. Huh. I may want to rethink that. Thank you for the info!

There is no battery that is inherently "safe". That said, failures are fairly rare, so don't be scared, but be cautious. Because we spend a lot of time with pv's in our hands and next to our face, minimizing risk is important. Read the battery thread that I linked to above, use your multimeter, and you'll be fine. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread