IMO Very Few Stock Coils that Perform Great For Long Periods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
I know my sweet flavored juices take a toll on coils. And it seems the stock coils work well but for a limited time.. I've read posts where folks claimed stock coils lasted for weeks. To those,,, My 1st question is, How much do you vape,, ml amount per day? Second question, What kind of juice are you using?
But IMO, if I didn't have the coil building hobby to go along with vaping, I cant imagine I would enjoy vaping with out going through $20.00 of coils a week.
I'll just say I've spoiled myself with fresh re-wicking of new cotton every 5-10ml of juice.
And maybe a new coil build along with that second re-wicking..
A posted a few days ago, 2-26ga. NiK 80 twisted 4/3 wraps on 2.5mm jig. ( on a Melo 2 RBA coil ) it seemed to work fine for 2 days, but today ( even after burning clean and re-wicking, ) I swapped it out for 4/3 wrap, 24ga. SS316L reading .24ohm.....
I'm Now Happy Again...
Do others feel this way about the performance of their coils?

Reactions: stols001

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I never got much more than a week out of a drop in coil. For built coils I only build simple micro coils around 1 ohm but leave them going for many weeks before changing them, rewicking every few days for my daily driver and probably every 10ml for supplemental setups. I don't think I could return to drop in coils unless I become unable to build for myself.

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
FWIW I've been using the same 5 Smok Big Baby Beast tanks with T8 0.15 Octuple coils for 2 months all still on their first coil. Vape approx 350 puffs a day, avg 1.75 sec, around 7ml/day, avg 60w. Only vape slightly sweet tobacco juices and boil a coil @ 2000 puffs and return it to service. Longest coil count over 7000 puffs so far... The one I'm carrying with me today has 5631 puffs on the coil as of the puff I just took.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
It is very dependent on the coil itself, the design of the coil head, and most importantly the liquid used in and of itself. Back in my Protank Days, stock coil head (talking the nasty silica single bottom coils) I couldn't get more than a week at 8 or so watts with any juice, the rebuilt ones I could run a coil till it popped with only re-wicking once a week per coil head. These higher powered sub-ohm coil heads, bleh, unless I've run just straight clear unflavored juices in them at a 50/50 at around 20 to 30 watts, bleh, maybe 3 to 4 days. I mostly use rebuildables, thus the tank has to have an RBA or is rebuildable from the start. $4 to $5USD a pop for these new innovations, of all the craze, can't do it, .50 cents in wire and wicking per rebuild, so much better.

Only time I use pre-made coil heads is if out of town and run out of wire for rebuilds and no vape shop carries any rebuilding wire where I am visiting.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
FWIW I've been using the same 5 Smok Big Baby Beast tanks with T8 0.15 Octuple coils for 2 months all still on their first coil. Vape approx 350 puffs a day, avg 1.75 sec, around 7ml/day, avg 60w. Only vape slightly sweet tobacco juices and boil a coil @ 2000 puffs and return it to service. Longest coil count over 7000 puffs so far... The one I'm carrying with me today has 5631 puffs on the coil as of the puff I just took.
Ew. They must be sludge in there. Can and should are different things.

In truth no coil will go more than a week without maintainance. I may have rda coils that lasted over 6 months but I still changed the cotton and dry burned them every day or 3. Schmutz builds up. There's no stopping it.

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member

In truth no coil will go more than a week without maintainance. I may have rda coils that lasted over 6 months but I still changed the cotton and dry burned them every day or 3. Schmutz builds up. There's no stopping it.
They DO get maintenance. Coil boiling water cleaned every 2000 as I said.... I'll put up a C note they are NOT tasting sub par.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada

Disagree completely.

I can get a month or more out of most of the Smoke TFV8 coils. No maintenance other than the odd Q-Tip swab. My DIY is between 8-18% flavour at 2% nic.

I have built my own coils (Kayfun, Aromamizer, Velocity, Origin, Subtanks, Crown, etc.) for a couple of years but have been enjoying Smok drop in coils for 9 months as they are costing me $2-3/mo. Just easy and reliable.

I see absolutely no need to change cotton or rayon every day or 3. Completely unnecessary unless you are vaping 20ml+ a day of highly flavoured juice IMO.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
If you're measuring a coil's "life" by the amount of time elapsed since it was put in use, you're doing it wrong. Time isn't the metric for the useful life of either the stock coil or the rebuilt one. The metrics are the amount of liquid vaporized, the energy used to vaporize it and the liquid's composition.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
This might set a record !!!!!

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Disagree completely.

I can get a month or more out of most of the Smoke TFV8 coils. No maintenance other than the odd Q-Tip swab. My DIY is between 8-18% flavour at 2% nic.

I have built my own coils (Kayfun, Aromamizer, Velocity, Origin, Subtanks, Crown, etc.) for a couple of years but have been enjoying Smok drop in coils for 9 months as they are costing me $2-3/mo. Just easy and reliable.

I see absolutely no need to change cotton or rayon every day or 3. Completely unnecessary unless you are vaping 20ml+ a day of highly flavoured juice IMO.
I for sure am vaping 15 ml a day... 5 ml alone in my Smoke baby,,,( as that thing sucks the juice faster than a full tank of Flex Fuel in my Ford F150. )

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Disagree completely.

Just goes to show personal taste is the final arbiter I guess. The things generally do still function when I change them. It's mostly a question of off taste and reduced performance. That and changing a wick costs a couple cents. If it was a buck or more I might behave very differently.

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This might set a record !!!!!
FWIW it's not about the cost or running out of coils since I have 25 T8 .15 Octcuple coils on hand. When I first started with the GX2/4 and decided on the Octuple as my go to stocked up ~$2.25/coil. What I thought then might be a year supply may well be multiple year supply.:thumb:

I'm doing cleaning regimen just to see how far they'll go for the heck of it. I mean compared to the cost of stinkies the cost of a coil a week would be peanuts. But waste not want not so I'm cleaning them. IF they make it to 10,000 puffs cleaning every 2000 and still seem fine debating whether to preemptively replace but will cross that bridge when/if I come to it.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
I tend to get 2 weeks out of a "good" drop in coil. Sometimes they start leaking or spitting back a lot before the 2 weeks is up . .so I probably average closer to a week. After 2 weeks, though, I can typically taste that the coil needs to be replaced.

The problem is really in the reliability . . I don't like to have less than 2 or 3 coils available for a tank so I'm always ordering new coils. I used to build coils but, honestly, it's just too much trouble . .and then, of course, because I CAN change the coil all the time I do . . . so for right now I'm just enjoying the drop-ins. I'm probably spending less than $10 per week on coils for all my tanks.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Ive gotten away from pre builts... they are expensive, made to last 2-3 days... ( imagine a cigge that would last 2 days... a pack would last a month instead of 1/2 a day) Ive got some attys with coils in them that are several months old... do a quick dry burn and rewick and Im good to go for another few days...

Reactions: Gahh

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
My SMOK TFV4 and TFV Baby coils typically last me 3 to 4 weeks and that is vaping approx. 10 to 15 ml a day of my DIY daily vape with 12% flavor on a 70/30 VG/PG mix 3% Nic. I usually change out the coils when they start to leak. If I'm using my RDTAs I change out the wicks every 3rd tank and burn off the coils and these coils usually last me a week or more

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well my BBB T8 0.15 Octuple coil that was coming up on 6k puffs is toast. Not it's fault! A customer was waiting when I got to my coffee roastery and forgot to lock the GX2/4 before slipping it into my pocket and rushing in. Last time I did that it got changed to min 6W, this time max 220W and didn't notice until taking a hit. OOPS! Fortunately I keep a spare coils in the glove box. And had an entire 2nd GX2/4 with me but with different tobacco juice, smoother and sweeter, not my ADV tobacco juice. And always leave home with a little 10ml of my daily ADV in my pocket so primed and good to go vaping it as I type.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Soooo many factors to consider. Oddly, Nautilus coils run for longer in my Kabuki than they do in my Nautilus 2, maybe it's airflow issues. Depending on juice and coils they last anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks... I have to use max VG and also I am not yet great a building coils, so the convenience is good for me. I order my coils cheaply and I rinse and reuse them once, and I think that's decent coil life. Coils have not been my biggest expense. I think MTL coils are harder to maintain, as many drop-in sub0hm coils seem to have been designed for viscus liquid and high volumes of juice that run through them, but they are in fact designed to do that and more expensive than many coils. Also, materials used in the coil itself can extend life, so it's really hard to generalize.

Anna

Reactions: Gahh

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
There is a coil that fairs well to last long. thou not many fans of this style coil. That would be Kangertech's Juppi.... This coil ( and its wicking ways ) has been one of my many favorites.
With a light torching, and new band of top shelf cotton, this is, IMO, a taste & cloud pleaser...

One big concept I like about this coil is: The cotton is wrapped around the coil, and not directly in the path of intake,,..
This tank has never given a dry hit. And the juice flavor gets a high score.
A big plus for DIY Juicers, ( You can easily add a drop of flavoring to the tank when looking for a key flavor. ) I've used RDA's to try new juice flavors, but it never worked as well as the Juppi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread