Intro & questions- finally upgrading my pen after 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misstaken1213

Oct 12, 2015
Hi all! I'm 183 days stink free -- been stalking this forum for a while but this is my first post.

I have been vaping my starter stuff up until now - I'm using a Kanger Aerotank, and I have 2 Kanger Evod pen batteries and 1 Kanger Evod Variable Voltage. The VV battery is only about 6 weeks old, but the others I've had since mid-April when I started. All 3 batteries - I am only getting a few hours (at best) of vaping out of them. It's slowly gotten worse over the past 2 months and I'm sick of it. I've tried cleaning them, messing with the pins, getting new chargers - I'm thinking either they are toast, or maybe it's my tanks (I have 2 of the same). Either way - I'm upgrading both. Soon.

I think I've settled on the iStick 50W with a Kanger Subtank Mini. My bf has this tank and I know it's great, but I don't know anyone with the iStick. So I searched for it on this forum today and I'm seeing a lot of problems people have had with them. Have these problems been resolved? It looks like they were misfiring, firing on their own, even starting fires?? I don't need that. If they haven't been resolved, what else do you recommend?

What I like about this mod/setup is: Long battery life, small size in my hand, all-in-one rather than a separate battery, and I know I'll get better flavor from my juice. Bigger clouds are always cool too. Haha. So if you don't recommend the iStick, what else would fit these parameters? :)

Thanks in advance & Happy vaping!

Reactions: David Wolf

ColbeWan

Dec 21, 2014
usa
If you are going to be using the subtank you are probably going to be sub Ωing, which is going to cause you to need higher wattage anyway. So you are still going to get not so great battery life. I would suggest getting a dual 18650 mod to get you through the day, like the x cube 2, it is a bit bigger than it seems like you are looking for, but, if you don't mind spending the extra money, and having a bigger mod, its worth it. Personally I don't sub Ω, I'm quite happy with my kayfun 3.1 clone, and my sx350 box mod with a single 18650 battery. Each to their own.

Reactions: David Wolf

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Hi all! I'm 183 days stink free -- been stalking this forum for a while but this is my first post.

I have been vaping my starter stuff up until now - I'm using a Kanger Aerotank, and I have 2 Kanger Evod pen batteries and 1 Kanger Evod Variable Voltage. The VV battery is only about 6 weeks old, but the others I've had since mid-April when I started. All 3 batteries - I am only getting a few hours (at best) of vaping out of them. It's slowly gotten worse over the past 2 months and I'm sick of it. I've tried cleaning them, messing with the pins, getting new chargers - I'm thinking either they are toast, or maybe it's my tanks (I have 2 of the same). Either way - I'm upgrading both. Soon.

I think I've settled on the iStick 50W with a Kanger Subtank Mini. My bf has this tank and I know it's great, but I don't know anyone with the iStick. So I searched for it on this forum today and I'm seeing a lot of problems people have had with them. Have these problems been resolved? It looks like they were misfiring, firing on their own, even starting fires?? I don't need that. If they haven't been resolved, what else do you recommend?

What I like about this mod/setup is: Long battery life, small size in my hand, all-in-one rather than a separate battery, and I know I'll get better flavor from my juice. Bigger clouds are always cool too. Haha. So if you don't recommend the iStick, what else would fit these parameters? :)

Thanks in advance & Happy vaping!

Welcome aboard!

I got an iStick 50 back in February, and I haven't had any problems with it to this point. I use it about once a week - I have a few iStick 30s that I use more day-to-day, and other mods when at home and on the weekends. So, they all get a pretty fair rotation :)

ETA - MVP3 and MVP3 Pro are both supposed to be really good, too. The Pro goes up to 60W, I believe. I had some MVP2s that I used last year until I started my mad upgrade shenanigans!

Reactions: Coldrake

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Reactions: Misstaken1213

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
I've had my iStick 50 since February and the only problem I've seen with mine is the firing button is a little soft. You have to press firmly to get it to fully fire every time. Other than that, it's been great. If you're looking for something else, as mentioned the MVP v3 Pro is a good choice. It has long battery life and is super easy to use. Beware that it is a brick. Something smaller might be the Evic VT. 60 watts of power with a large battery and temp control capabilities if you go that direction in the future. I've found that putting it into stealth mode increases battery life immensely. It's amazing how much power those screens can use in the long run.

Misstaken1213

Oct 12, 2015
I looked up the MVP3 and realized that's exactly what my boyfriend has. I like the hits I get when I use it, and the battery life is great - but it's definitely too big and bulky.

I was looking at that new Subox Nano until I realized the battery was removable, not sure why that turned me off. I do like that there's a purple one. Haha. If I go that route - is there a certain brand of 18650 battery that's better/best? The site I'm looking at right now has a couple of different ones.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I looked up the MVP3 and realized that's exactly what my boyfriend has. I like the hits I get when I use it, and the battery life is great - but it's definitely too big and bulky.

I was looking at that new Subox Nano until I realized the battery was removable, not sure why that turned me off. I do like that there's a purple one. Haha. If I go that route - is there a certain brand of 18650 battery that's better/best? The site I'm looking at right now has a couple of different ones.

Batteries - Samsung-R25, AW, LG HE2 are some of the more popular brands. RTD Vapor is a reputable source. You want to make sure that you have an adequate CDR (Continual Discharge Rating) Just because something's printed on the wrap of the battery doesn't mean that's CDR - it might be MAX discharge - NOT the same thing. You'll also need a good charger. Nitecore Intellicharger or Xtar are recommended chargers. Stay away from anything with "Fire" in the name - battery or charger. Check out @Mooch blog articles about Battery Ratings and @Baditude blogs about Battery Safety.

Reactions: papler

papler

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2015
Switzerland
Hi and welcome.

Just a word of advice: when you are looking for removable batteries, make sure you choose batteries that support sub-ohm vaping (high-drain). for beginning i'd say stick to a mod which has a built-in battery.

the CoolFire IV Box Mod is very good and I use it sometimes with the Subtank Mini (0.5). Lasts roughly a day when out and about. Buy 2 and you're set for the day. great feel, good build quality, beautiful colors. The screen is a bit tiny tho but you buy them for vaping, not watching movies.

I highly suggest to get 2 mods so you have a backup if one breaks or the battery dies. nothing worse than a tank full of juice but no power to fire it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread