is light a factor in nicotine degradation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I've used the same nicotine in every batch of juice I've made. One has gotten very peppery on me. I never got it into a brown bottle and it's taken on a lot of light. Is that my problem?

Yes, probably. Has the nicotine darkened?

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Hard to tell, the liquid itself has darkened but they all do on aging.

If they're stored in dark glass in a freezer, they don't darken, or at least not very fast. When I buy nicotine at WizLabs, it's perfectly clear, and mostly stays that way in the freezer, with perhaps the *faintest* yellow tinge after nearly a year of storage. But the Throat-Hit Nicotine I buy from VapersTek is not clear, it's actually kinda pink, and juices made with it tend to darken faster. I believe the TH Nicotine is the product of controlled oxidation, but light can also degrade nicotine, though perhaps not quite as fast as air. Does the bottle have one of those conical-insert caps? That would reduce oxidation, but if the glass is clear, it will still admit light, which will degrade nicotine -- which gives it the "pepperiness" that I call throat-hit -- without it, I'm not at all satisfied with the vape.

Andria

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Heat, light and oxygen will speed up oxidation process.

Always store your nic in a dark, cool place, preferably in small glass bottles so you don't have to keep opening a big bottle a thousand times and aerating your base.

For long term storage, freeze in small batches is dark glass (cobalt or amber).

Reactions: AndriaD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread