Is PG vapour really deadly harmful and toxic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
PG is used in asthma inhalers. I doubt the FAD would approve it for medical use if it were hazardous. Can one have an allergic reaction to it? Yes. Also, some folks are allergic to specific flavor ingredients. One must do "process of elimination" to get to the problem.

I think it's also important to not engage in "reductionist" thinking... for instance, "OMG, PG made my ankles swollen!" Only indirectly -- swollen ankles can be, strangely enough, a symptom of dehydration. PG does cause dehydration, so there is a logical chain from the PG to the swollen ankles -- but it's not that PG "caused" the swollen ankles.

It's also important to keep it in perspective. "PG gave me .... pimples!" -- doubtful, but even if it did... would you rather have .... pimples from PG, or lung cancer from smoking cigarettes?

Personally... my swollen feet and ankles are kinda painful, but, too much VG makes me unable to breathe. Obviously my sore feet need to take a backseat to my need to breathe. So what I *really* need to do is slightly increase my nic level, so I can vape less often, and get less of BOTH PG and VG. But in neither case (too much PG or VG) is there any reason to return to smoking, since the ultimate end of that would be an ultimate inability to breathe -- death. Of course, we're all going to die of something... but death from lung cancer may be one of the worst ways to go.

Andria

e30holmes

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2014
Colchester, CT
Spilled coolant in my mouth when working on my car and made me sick I should have known the pg in it would hurt me.....ppphhhtttt LMAO oohhh my...... isnt water in coolant to? I guess I shouldnt drink water now ;) I would put money on the idea that drinking soda with aspartame is worse than vaping. Ever read the side effects of aspartame?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Yes, it's deadly harmful and toxic stuff...to the tobacco companies' bottom lines, which is why you see this kind of stuff spread around so blatantly.

As far as yellowing and killing grass, go pee on the stuff in dry weather. It'll yellow out and die due to the excess nitrogen in your urine, plus the level of salts. It's natural and harmless to you, but grass can't tolerate it without it being diluted by rainfall.

Vegetable glycerine is sticky stuff, so I don't doubt it could block the grass plants' stomata (openings in the leaf). That will stop respiration, which will cause damage to a grass plant just like if you stop breathing.

Propylene glycol is flat out toxic to plants--the stuff is a double alcohol. All alcohols are toxic to plant life and exposure to them must be sparing, if at all. It's toxic to us in large enough quantities as well, but our kidneys are very good at taking it out without stressing over it, and we don't get anywhere near toxic levels of exposure.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Propylene glycol is flat out toxic to plants--the stuff is a double alcohol. All alcohols are toxic to plant life and exposure to them must be sparing, if at all. It's toxic to us in large enough quantities as well, but our kidneys are very good at taking it out without stressing over it, and we don't get anywhere near toxic levels of exposure.

Hmmm... am I showing signs of hypochondria or paranoia if I wonder what the effect of this "double alcohol" might be to a recovering alcoholic, such as myself? I had to quit drinking due my liver's decreasing ability to detoxify my blood, judged by the 3-5 day hangovers I was experiencing at the end of my drinking. As far as I know, I have not experienced any of the blackouts or general insanity I was prone to as a practicing alcoholic, but it's hard not to feel some concern about this, given the straits my liver was in 22 yrs ago.

Andria

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Hmmm... am I showing signs of hypochondria or paranoia if I wonder what the effect of this "double alcohol" might be to a recovering alcoholic, such as myself? I had to quit drinking due my liver's decreasing ability to detoxify my blood, judged by the 3-5 day hangovers I was experiencing at the end of my drinking. As far as I know, I have not experienced any of the blackouts or general insanity I was prone to as a practicing alcoholic, but it's hard not to feel some concern about this, given the straits my liver was in 22 yrs ago.

Andria

Well, being an alcohol isn't necessarily the same as being that alcohol. Citrus is an acid but eating fruit is good for you and ain't gonna dissolve you. I don't think. :)

While I'm sure we all are ingesting some amount of PG and/or VG, I can't imagine it's much. Unless you drink your e-liquids. In which case, cut that out!

And PG is used in a vast array of consumer products. The quantities you probably get from food products likely swamps what you could get from vaping. I'm not sure it's worth worrying about. Especially considering where most of us came from. You know, smoking. I doubt any amount of vaping could ever cause anything remotely as damaging as those years. A worry that gooses me now and again. I mean, I've stopped doing further damage but I smoked a lotta years...

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Well, being an alcohol isn't necessarily the same as being that alcohol. Citrus is an acid but eating fruit is good for you and ain't gonna dissolve you. I don't think. :)

While I'm sure we all are ingesting some amount of PG and/or VG, I can't imagine it's much. Unless you drink your e-liquids. In which case, cut that out!

And PG is used in a vast array of consumer products. The quantities you probably get from food products likely swamps what you could get from vaping. I'm not sure it's worth worrying about. Especially considering where most of us came from. You know, smoking. I doubt any amount of vaping could ever cause anything remotely as damaging as those years. A worry that gooses me now and again. I mean, I've stopped doing further damage but I smoked a lotta years...

Well, as far as *I* know, there's basically methanol and ethanol; the first purely poisonous, the 2nd, poisonous in sufficient quantity, and especially to a certain percentage (10%-20%) of certain genotypes. However, I am no chemist, not even close, so for all I know there may be other alcohols that do not break down to methanol or ethanol, I really have no idea.

But I think your comment about the quantity is probably accurate; I can consume tiny amounts of ethanol without losing my mind, as I've proven for many years by the occasional addition of a half-tsp of vanilla flavoring to my coffee -- that occasional half-tsp has never caused me to crave to drink the entire bottle. I do vape a pretty good bit, and always with a preponderance of PG vs VG, but you're right, at my levels, it probably comes to maybe a teaspoonful of pure PG a day, and that will probably not be harmful, even to a recovering alcoholic.

Whew! Now I can go back to worrying about my puffy ankles. :D

Andria

Andria

I'd ask your doctor, but PG is a non-intoxicating double alcohol. You won't get inebriated from it no matter how much you ingest, it simply doesn't work that way.

Some is screened out by the kidneys and eliminated unchanged. Some is processed by the liver, but it follows the citric acid cycle (more info here: Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol Toxicity: What is Propylene Glycol | ATSDR - Environmental Medicine & Environmental Health Education - CSEM). It steps through lactic and pyruvic acid.

That's similar to--but not the same--as the processing for ethanol, which is ethanol --> acetic acid, via a complicated pathway.

Plus, your intake is so small compared to a night of drinking that I tend to doubt it has much impact. Even if you vape 10 ml per day of pure PG solution and absorb 100% of it, that's 10 ml. Which is 1/3 oz.

Well, as far as *I* know, there's basically methanol and ethanol; the first purely poisonous, the 2nd, poisonous in sufficient quantity, and especially to a certain percentage (10%-20%) of certain genotypes. However, I am no chemist, not even close, so for all I know there may be other alcohols that do not break down to methanol or ethanol, I really have no idea.

There are boat-tons of alcohols--chemically, an alcohol is just where an OH (oxygen-hydrogen) group is bound to a carbon atom. It happens all the time. Ethanol just happens to be, if memory serves, CH3-CH2-OH.

One very famous technical alcohol is "cholesterol." :) Usually, if it ends on -ol, it's an alcohol of some sort. Hence, propylene glycol.

But I think your comment about the quantity is probably accurate; I can consume tiny amounts of ethanol without losing my mind, as I've proven for many years by the occasional addition of a half-tsp of vanilla flavoring to my coffee -- that occasional half-tsp has never caused me to crave to drink the entire bottle.

Considering that the alcohol evaporates rather fast in a typical cup of coffee, I'm not surprised. Losses would be extreme and fast.

I do vape a pretty good bit, and always with a preponderance of PG vs VG, but you're right, at my levels, it probably comes to maybe a teaspoonful of pure PG a day, and that will probably not be harmful, even to a recovering alcoholic.

PG is non-intoxicating anyway, and it's not following the same pathways. We spend our lives immersed in alcohols that we can handle easily, don't make us drunk, and don't cause hangovers. Nobody gets buzzed from cholesterol.

Whew! Now I can go back to worrying about my puffy ankles. :D

You and me both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread