Is this a good soldering iron for building regulated and unregulated mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

collinsmcrae

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
http://www.amazon.com/TasiHome-Adju...35&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Soldering+iron&psc=1

I plan to get a Hakko or Weller station eventually, but if something like this would be adequate for a while I might just get it so that I can start practicing soon. The reviews are good, but most of the reviewers don't seem like serious electronics hobbyists. I really can't see why it wouldn't be adequate, so long as the temp control is somewhat accurate. Has anyone else tried any wands with built in temp control? It's only 20$, but I'm not in the habit of wasting money if I can simply get an expert opinion and avoid the trouble.

collinsmcrae

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
I have a similar one. It works; I use it. The temperature control isn't accurate but I have no trouble with it. I just set it in the middle where the solder melts quickly. I can solder 32 gauge and 12 gauge with it.

Thanks for the reply. How does something like that fare with circuit board work?

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I've built several DNAs with mine. It was fine with those solder pads. I think you might run into trouble with small surface mount components. I've always used fancy soldering stations for those. Actually, my old weller with the heat setting tip (650 deg as I recall) worked fine for that. You just have to be careful and have a good hand and eye.

Reactions: collinsmcrae

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
This takes the good Hakko tips and has a great review on youtube its no high end station but ya only need high end for big huge sinks and such. The heat can be off a bit but you can calibrate it if you have the means..

Here's a review:
I have been soldering for 50 years professionally, and have just purchased the Yihua 936 soldering station from HK. The Yihua 936 is a good Hakko 936 copy/clone (the Hakko 936 has been a great soldering station that has been in commercial service for over 15 years). I have both the Hakko 936 and the Yihua 936, they are almost identical physically, however there are some differences, different color, the connectors for the soldering iron to the control station are opposite in gender, and are not interchangeable. The soldering iron holder w/sponge for the Hakko is made of metal; the Yihua appears to be a high temperature plastic. For either the Hakko or the Yihua 936, soldering iron assembly’s and tips are very low cost and available on e-bay. You can buy an iron assy. for under $6.00 and tips for $1.00 ea. When purchasing an Iron assy on e-baY, contact the seller prior to purchase and ask if the for sale iron is compatible with your Yihua 936 station, and that it is 50 watt, as there are several variations of the 936 iron, when searching for the replacement, search for "936 handle". I have tested the Yihua 936 station for temperature accuracy and stability, it under idling conditions holds /- 10DegC of set point, which is good for this type of station. The Yihua 936 appears to be a good solid soldering station and a real bargain.

Soldering Station with Adjustable Heat Range (US Warehouse)

Reactions: collinsmcrae

collinsmcrae

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
This takes the good Hakko tips and has a great review on youtube its no high end station but ya only need high end for big huge sinks and such. The heat can be off a bit but you can calibrate it if you have the means..

Here's a review:

Soldering Station with Adjustable Heat Range (US Warehouse)

Thanks! Yeah, I've seen this one around, and a few other cheap-o Hakko and Weller knock offs, but I am a bit skeptical when it comes to a complete soldering station for 20$ lol. I'll have to check out that review on this one, because if it's somewhat legit, at least, this may be the temporary setup that I'm looking for. Do you have any personal experience with it?

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Thanks! Yeah, I've seen this one around, and a few other cheap-o Hakko and Weller knock offs, but I am a bit skeptical when it comes to a complete soldering station for 20$ lol. I'll have to check out that review on this one, because if it's somewhat legit, at least, this may be the temporary setup that I'm looking for. Do you have any personal experience with it?

Lol no I use an old gun looking style uber old with a diy brass pin, that would be like a ferrari to me..:lol:

I do know if you go to rc forum they rave about this iron -- if ya know about soldering rc stuff ya know its a great iron-- its how I found it.. I used to be in huge in rc lol now I build e cigs..

From what I have read and seen in a thorough teardown review its a great iron almost no difference to the authentic hakko it copies.. Cannot beat the price for a beginners station..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread