Is using VTC5 for Smok Alien 220 W safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan Chan

Aug 30, 2017
North of the Wall
What does it mean by stressing the battery?
Just shorten the lifespan of it or it is possible to explode?
I m on my 1st week of total switching but I don't have a higher ohm coil at the moment (until my order arrive).
I don't want to go back to cigarette.
If it just shorten the lifespan of it I am totally fine with that, I am just afraid of it exploding.

Thanks BIG TOZZ

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Higher ohm.
ohm that low on a regulated mod will only stress the battery.
Absolutely not true with a regulated mod, this only applies to unregulated devices like mechanical mods.
With a regulated mod the wattage and the remaining battery voltage dictates the amp draw on the battery/s. Please don't offer technical advice unless you understand what you are talking about.
Ohms Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum

The amp goes up to about 21,22 if i choose 60W or over.
However VTC5 is rated for 20A cont..
I am wondering if it is safe for me to keep using VTC5? or I should get a VTC4? higher ohm coil?
The amps shown on the readout are what is being delivered to the atomizer, not what is being drawn from the battery. To know what is being drawn from the battery you need to do some simple maths or use a calculator like steam-engine detailed in the article I linked to above.

The VTC5 is a 20 amp CDR battery. A 20 amp battery is good for 60 watts, so with two of them in the Alien you are good up to 120 watts. The VTC4 is a 23 amp CDR battery meaning you would be good for up to about 135 watts. But it has a lower mAh rating so you will get less run time.

To reiterate, the coil resistance is of little importance on a regulated mod. The important factors are coil mass and surface area, and the wattage you choose to apply to it. If you are using premade coils you will have nothing to worry about in the terms of their resistance. Generally speaking lower resistance coils will be better suited to higher wattage levels.
Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

Over stressing a battery by pulling too many amps from it will reduce it's lifespan. You have to really abuse or short circuit it to make it vent or explode.
Battery Safety | E-Cigarette Forum

img_4813-jpg.643937

Last edited:

Ivan Chan

Aug 30, 2017
North of the Wall
Absolutely not true with a regulated mod, this only applies to unregulated devices like mechanical mods.
With a regulated mod the wattage and the remaining battery voltage dictates the amp draw on the battery/s. Please don't offer technical advice unless you understand what you are talking about.
Ohms Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum

The amps shown on the readout are what is being delivered to the atomizer, not what is being drawn from the battery. To know what is being drawn from the battery you need to do some simple maths or use a calculator like steam-engine detailed in the article I linked to above.

The VTC5 is a 20 amp CDR battery. A 20 amp battery is good for 60 watts, so with two of them in the Alien you are good up to 120 watts. The VTC4 is a 23 amp CDR battery meaning you would be good for up to about 135 watts. But it has a lower mAh rating so you will get less run time.

To reiterate, the coil resistance is of little importance on a regulated mod. The important factors are coil mass and surface area, and the wattage you choose to apply to it. If you are using premade coils you will have nothing to worry about in the terms of their resistance. Generally speaking lower resistance coils will be better suited to higher wattage levels.
Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

Over stressing a battery by pulling too many amps from it will reduce it's lifespan. You have to really abuse or short circuit it to make it vent or explode.
Battery Safety | E-Cigarette Forum

img_4813-jpg.643937
Thank you so much sonic boom for the detailed explanation. This is really helpful yet quite complicated. So as long as I stay under 120W with this setting, I am good, no matter what the resistance is?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thank you so much sonic boom for the detailed explanation. This is really helpful yet quite complicated. So as long as I stay under 120W with this setting, I am good, no matter what the resistance is?

So long as the resistance falls within the specified range for the mod. The lowest resistance spec on an Alien is 0.06 ohm, but I would find it unusual to run into a 0.06 ohm build.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Feel free to ask about anything specifically you didn't understand.

Reactions: Eskie

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The alien 220 has a low, battery low voltage cutoff - usually 2.8v per cell.

At the low voltage cutoff battery amp demand will be highest.
2 cells 2.8v each ~ 5.6v / 120w = 21.42a + 10% device inefficiency = total battery amp load of 23.56 a.

Just me, I wouldn't push 20a CDR batteries that hard, not out of an immediate safely concern, but from a reduction in battery lifespan/longevity view.
As cells age & are used they lose capacity (their ability to provide amps safely).
The harder they are used / pushed the faster the degradation takes place.

Last edited:

fifamymaingame

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2017
Colorado
Safe battery to use you could push it past 120 just won't get the best life

You can't have both of best worlds with vape battery I rock vtc5s at 65 watts on 0.4 builds and my Samsung 30qs at 55 65 on the same build
Those 0.15 amok coils ducked for me needed 80 90 watts for any flavor

Sometimes I use 55 watts with hard mode on the alien

Basically hard means it goes 10 watts above what you got it set at for a second or two

Soft means it goes 10 below what you got it set at

Ivan Chan

Aug 30, 2017
North of the Wall
Safe battery to use you could push it past 120 just won't get the best life

You can't have both of best worlds with vape battery I rock vtc5s at 65 watts on 0.4 builds and my Samsung 30qs at 55 65 on the same build
Those 0.15 amok coils ducked for me needed 80 90 watts for any flavor

Sometimes I use 55 watts with hard mode on the alien

Basically hard means it goes 10 watts above what you got it set at for a second or two

Soft means it goes 10 below what you got it set at

Thats what hard and soft mean! good to know. Thanks mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread