Comparison of VTC4, VTC5, LG ICR18650HE2 and Samsung INR18650-25R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
I have not heard of fake LG or Samsungs yet. I'm not sure, but I don't think I've heard of a fake VTC3 or VTC4 either, has anyone? If not, I bet VTC4s are going to be the next in line for that honor.

Kemosabe, fake Efest? Would that be a fake of a fake, LOL. Can you tell I don't think much of Efest ...

Lol fake of a fake indeed.
I have seen a fake VTC3 and 5 but not 4.

sk4477

Jan 31, 2012
Germany
I own a Fake VTC4. It came together in a batch with fake VTC5. It's the same fake cell, just a different print - so watch out the VTC4 fakes are out there.

sony-us18650vtc5-fake.jpg

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
I agree. Lg and samsung would most likely be authentic if I had to venture a guess.

MNKE and Sony seem to be the biggest fakes. I've seen fake aw too.

I've never seen a fake efest, but I'm sure they're out there. Efest is however adding a layer of protection like a hologram or a verification code or something. Sorry I can't remember exactly. But new cells will start having it soon.

Yup. I ordered two more "35 Amp" Purple Efest from Mt. Baker Vapor (to hit the $50 free shipping threshhold) and they both have a weird little "anti-counterfeit" sticker on them. First batteries I've seen of any label with such a thing but I'm still left wondering... why couldn't the anti-counterfeit sticker be counterfeited too?!? Not that anyone would really have a motive to counterfeit an Efest (the reason I buy them) but...

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
I believe efest would be able to verify. Maybe it's like the xtar charger verification where you plug in the serial # online. My purple efest 350s have a barcode with UPC. I suppose I could check them but never have because I bought them the minute they hit the shelves. Plus I'm ditching them for the new AWs once they show fatigue.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
I was scouring through a page that Ryedan linked in the Sony discussion thread here - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...y-who-makes-them-not-sony-6.html#post14446321

Poking around the PDF spec files they have on that website I found some interesting stuff.

LG 18650 HE2 tested to 35A with great discharge curve
- http://www.powerstream.com/p/LG 18650HE2 Technical Information.pdf
PDF says "confidential" in the top right hand corner and appears to be direct from LG... very odd.

But what I found most interesting, the Samsung 25R
- http://www.powerstream.com/p/INR18650-25R-datasheet.pdf
They have done extremely high pulse drain testing with that cell, nearly 100A. Again the PDF file says "confidential" but it definitively shows the battery can withstand very high drain, well into the 30A range and again the file appears to be direct from Samsung.

Then check out the last page for safety test specifications, even during the most aggressive methods of making a battery fail that they tested including putting them in a 140°C oven or crushing them the battery retained an impressive "L1" rating, which means it only leaked...no fire, no smoke. Very impressive.

I have been pushing both of these batteries well over 20A with daily use and they've been just fine, nothing has heated up and in fact I find my VTC5's being used LESS than my LG's and 25R's more recently. At first it was to "save" the VTC5's but now I'm realizing that they are all pretty much equals more or less.

Last edited:
Reactions: mamabear15

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Is the consensus that the Samsungs marginally better than the LGs then? I tend to vape 15-20w but on occasion may venture up to 25w.

By the charts, the Samsung does slightly better at 5 amps which is right in the ballpark for your power levels. It's by so little though, that I consider them the same at this power level.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ok, I'm lazy. I admit that I did t read thru the thread. What I want to know is if I can find the 25R's for less than $6 apiece. I'm ordering 6 tomorrow.....or as soon as I find a cheaper price. FOOT NOTE: not holding my breath

Not that I know of. But if you order a bunch of them that could change things :)

The cost of good batteries

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Ok, I'm lazy. I admit that I did t read thru the thread. What I want to know is if I can find the 25R's for less than $6 apiece. I'm ordering 6 tomorrow.....or as soon as I find a cheaper price. FOOT NOTE: not holding my breath
Not even groups of 6 25R's on eBay sell for $6/per battery, the $6.00 each price from illumination supply is the best deal going right now IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread