Kanger subtank mini rta build question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thevapebro

Jan 26, 2017
New York
ok y'all I have a first gen subtank mini and I have yet to be able to get a build working without getting dry hits. I have a 2.4mm 26g coil in it around .45 ohms and I can't seem to get it working correctly I'm not sure if I'm wicking it wrong or what. I have been building for some time and I'm thinking that it might be that I have to mod it to be more like the second gen decks with the holes in the sleeve like the stock coils have. I've been using rebuilt stock coils but would like to get the rebuild deck to work so I can say I beat it haha I would appreciate any input on better ways to go about this

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
When I got my 1st Subtank Mini, I took One Look at the v1 RBA Section e-Liquid slots and went... "Nope. It aint gunna works As-Is".

So I got out a Flat Needle File and made the e-Liquid Slots about 50% Wider. And about 50% Deeper.

Precision Needle File Set 12 Pc

Then did a 3mm 28ga NiChrome 80 1.0 Ohm build on it using "Pancake" wick. Filled the tank with some 20PG|80VG DIY e-Liquid and away I went.

Hits Great. No Leaking. No Dry Hits in the 15 ~ 25 Watt zone for that Build.

Unless you are using a VERY Thin e-Liquid like a High PG, I can't imagine an Un-Modded STM v1 RBA section working well unless you are using a Very Low Wattage.

The e-Liquid Slots are Just Too Small IMO.

Last edited:

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
I used a dremel on mine and no dry hits anymore and I use 50/50 with never any leaks unless hill climbing in the rv.I have been running the coil that came installed in the rta heads, they are .5 ohms and I have been using these same coils for 8 months without changeing them. These things simply work after the channels are widened like Zoidman and Puffon recommend.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
What type of Builds did you put in them?
It just won't register
a70a9112cdc18afb0ad4ea43fedeb623.jpg

Reactions: Foggy Road

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
ok y'all I have a first gen subtank mini and I have yet to be able to get a build working without getting dry hits. I have a 2.4mm 26g coil in it around .45 ohms and I can't seem to get it working correctly I'm not sure if I'm wicking it wrong or what. I have been building for some time and I'm thinking that it might be that I have to mod it to be more like the second gen decks with the holes in the sleeve like the stock coils have. I've been using rebuilt stock coils but would like to get the rebuild deck to work so I can say I beat it haha I would appreciate any input on better ways to go about this

Just don't do this! These came with my STM that I traded an Aspire Quadflex for. Dude got a tad bit carried away with his Dremel IMO!!!

2017-07-21_21.21.31.jpg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Unfortunately, that didn't work either. Should my next step be pulling out the pre-installed coil and building another?
ccbc5dcefd31fa5f381a90a0f694853c.jpg

I would leave the Coil in it for the time being.

Try Unscrewing the RBA Section from the Base. Then take a straighten out paperclip and poke it thru the Hole on the Base End of the RBA Section. Now turn it to make sure it is tight.

Then put the RBA Section back in the Base and see if it Registers.

BTW - When the RBA Section is screwed into the Base. How far is the 510 Pin sticking out of the 510 Threads in the base?

Reactions: ChelsB

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California

Try Unscrewing the RBA Section from the Base. Then take a straighten out paperclip and poke it thru the Hole on the Base End of the RBA Section. Now turn it to make sure it is tight.

BTW - When the RBA Section is screwed into the Base. How far is the 510 Pin sticking out of the 510 Threads in the base?

Hopefully these pictures will answer your question?
0b573d9d551dcb9350d7d14a0d83de36.jpg

5f35ee98bcf830528db93df0c3bf1867.jpg

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Unfortunately, that didn't work either. Should my next step be pulling out the pre-installed coil and building another?
    ccbc5dcefd31fa5f381a90a0f694853c.jpg
    Try pressing the base 510 on a table, while tightening the RBA.
    You should feel if the RBA is contacting the pin.
    (the screws rusted on my clone RBAs)

Reactions: ChelsB

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California

For the paper clip trick, do you mean to do it like this?
    87c44930e9a9125449635cdeca046bf8.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread