Ksd kmax telescoping hybrid.....what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelboyinDorset

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Dorset - UK
FastTech aren't selling any of these at the moment saying they are sold out, KSD have quite a dirty message about it on their website so I guess someone has launched some legal stuff somewhere.

I've tracked one down on VaporBreak in the black tube and copper body that I wanted and says its the real deal too, its the last battery unit I am buying as got plenty now and with all the rebuildable stuff too I should think I am sorted for the next year lol

DelboyinDorset

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Dorset - UK
I've just received mine and its excellent, turned the setting to constant power, read the resi and set the volts and watts and getting loads more steam and flavour than the Lava Tube delivered.

Just running some Mandarin through at the mo and it tastes really orangey, very very pleased with this mod and I went for the copper (brass they call it) and black as the copper can easily be polished but its got a very thick polymer type coating on it.

Menu takes a bit of getting used to, best to take the atty out until you have mastered it but have to say its looking good, the resistance meter and outputs match exactly what says on my multimeter

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Just got one last week, and with some caveats, I do like it. Although it does seem to run "hot", at least in VW mode. Have to turn it down about 2 watts compared to my SVD, with the same topper moved back and forth.

Yes, some adjustment / learning, coming off the SVD, since the KMax is a one button, and the SVD has several. (And, of course, being used to multiple buttons, it's a change for me! :) )

Ego threaded devices will work, you just have to take off the top collar of the KMax. (Which could have been machined out to let them pass thru, but it's not a big deal to me.)

So far, so good!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Mine arrived screwed all the way in, as in 18350 mode. No scratches anywhere. I had seen the comments at DV, but actually got mine at a local B&M. They'd already lubed the threads, and there were some faint traces of NOAlox, but no scratches.

In any event, most of our PVs will pick up some "blemishes" from normal use...

H Niemand

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2011
Philly PA
I've had mine for a few months. No problems with it at all. Yes, it does run a little hot. Also, all of my ego tanks fit without removing the collar. When I use a DCT, I bring the collar up to the tank bottom to give me a slightly tighter draw. The only "blemishes" are rings on the top unit from the bottom. Actually looks kind of cool.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I've had mine for a few months. No problems with it at all. Yes, it does run a little hot. Also, all of my ego tanks fit without removing the collar. When I use a DCT, I bring the collar up to the tank bottom to give me a slightly tighter draw. The only "blemishes" are rings on the top unit from the bottom. Actually looks kind of cool.

Just did some more checking on that.... my MT3s don't fit through the collar, T3 and T3S do. Guess it's just the extra metal on the MT. Note that they are "original", not MT3S, so I don't know if the newer ones are thinner. Aro's don't fit. Evods do. Davide Mini fits.

Again, not a big deal to me, just an observation.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I really want one of these, but after reading about how fragile the control heads are I'm a bit nervous to pull the trigger. If I knew that my eVic or Legend would thread onto the tube and work I would buy one in a second flat, they look awesome!

Um, even if they did fit (no idea, but I'd guess not), then you'd have and eVic or Legend with a bottom tube from the KMax, wouldn't look at all the same.

Don't know where you read that the control head was "fragile", but it does stand to reason that the one-way transparent tube wouldn't be as sturdy as metal... But it seems to me that, with reasonable care and use, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread