LG HB6 30A 1500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...better than SX30 at >25A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-30A constant current. I was really interested in testing these cell so I bought them myself, from IMRBatteries.

Dropbox - lg hb6 wrap.jpeg

Dropbox - lg hb6 case.jpeg

Dropbox - lg hb6 top.jpeg

Dropbox - lg hb6 bottom.jpeg

Bottom Line
    A true 30A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell that runs cool.
    Low capacity versus other cells when under 25A though.

Test Results
    Dropbox - lg hb6 30a 1500mah 18650 constant-current tests.bmp

Comments
    - I was curious about this cell because of its lithium-nickel-manganese-cobalt (NMC) chemistry. Because of the addition of nickel and cobalt the characteristics of the cell can be tweaked more than than lithium-cobalt ("ICR") or lithium-manganese ("IMR") cells. You can design for higher power, higher capacity, or a compromise between the two. The LG HB6 seemed to be a pure high-power, low-capacity cell and I wanted to test that out. The cell did not disappoint me.
    - NMC chemistry is almost as safe as our IMR cells. While its thermal runaway temperature is lower than IMR cells it's much higher than ICR cells.
    - This cell runs cooler than just about any cell out there when comparing temperatures at their CDR. This helps to increase cycle life versus those other cells. Working against this though is NMC's early reputation for short cycle life. That can be compensated for so I am very interested in seeing LG's datasheet or tech info document on this cell to see how it's rated!
    - Six cycles at 30A showed no loss in performance or damage and a 10A discharge done after this also showed no loss in performance.
    - A discharge at 35A only brought the cell temperature to 80°C. But, capacity was obviously quite low at this high a discharge rate.
    - This cell has about the same capacity to 3.2V at 25A as the Orbtronic SX30.
    - This cell has double the capacity to 3.2V at 30A versus the Orbtronic SX30 and doesn't suffer the damage the SX30 does.
    - I have not done VTC4 tests yet to compare this cell to.
    - While this is a low capacity cell it lasts longer at 25A-30A than other higher capacity cells. At lower discharge rates other cells are a better choice for longer run time though.
    - See my blog for my testing procedures and equipment.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    They may be good for SubOhming, but the mAh capacity is much lower. I don't do much subohming, so I'll stick with the Sony VTC 4 series.
    These might be ideal for "cloud chasing" competitions. Maybe not ideal for everyday use, but reserved stricty just for serious cloud competitions using super sub-ohm builds they might be the safest battery available for this application.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread