Link nicotine and hair loss ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobFranco

Jun 2, 2009
Yes I agree this must be bull. It just some study show that nicotine can produce an accumulation of DHT that is not evacuated by the adequate enzyme which activity is alleviated by nicotine .
So it concerned more men than women.
Baldness in women is more complex.

In other hand when you look where come from tobacco : native americans who have no history of baldness btw.

But since some blame it on nic, it is cool that you guys confirm that there ' s no link.

Elphaba

Apr 19, 2009
Chicago
I would be one of those bald women (waves at Elphaba) but my hair ran away from home a good 14 years ago-and I just started vaping this year... I was a smoker at the time but it was sudden catastrophic stress that triggered the supposed alopecia genes into kick start~ not the nicotine, which I believe saved my ... from deep ending.

In the long run I can spend what I save on hair products on PV's:evil:

So sorry about your hair loss and the circumstances that caused it. It seems you are a glass half full kinda person, though. Good for you! vaping is my stress relief. And a fun hobby. I'm glad I found it.

liberty

Mar 15, 2009
Unfortunately you can no longer trust the so called "scientific studies" any more especially with things like smoking. They all have an agenda with big money behind them. They are all flawed or the findings are scientifically insignificant and they usually end in "more study needs to be done (meaning more grant money)."

When someone says "studies show" the first thing out of your mouth should be "show me the studies".

By the way, I'm 2 pack a day smoker in my 60's with most of my hair yet. Both my brothers started balding in their 30's. I can't compare to my Dad as he was hairless from the age of 14 when his father slammed him into a door and the door knob hit him in the thyroid. My Mom thinks I take more after her father, the only other close relative with blond hair and blue eyes. He was a smoking alcoholic with a pretty full head of hair when he died in his 80's.

baillou2

Jul 17, 2009
Florida, USA, Earth.
I'm an ex-two pack a day smoker. I'm 36. I'd been smoking since the age of ten. I have all my hair, and no gray. So unless I'm some genetic superman (three ex-wives can attest this is not the case) or I'm an alien, this is bull.

I'm a one pack-a-day smoker, I'm 29 and have been smoking since age 18, and I'm nearly bald. So unless you're some genetic superman, I hate you:D
Seriously I blame my father though. He is bald, as was his father, and his etc... runs in the family apparently.

But at least I have NO ex-wives.

CDC700

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
Central Texas
Been smoking daily for 22 years, served in the Army(infantry), Two ex-wives, 4 kids, and self employed. Full Head of hair(I keep it real short) So smoking, and stress could NOT cause baldness, unless of course the fact that I smoked when I got stressed to relieve it somehow...... ah heck, too much thinking, it'll make me go bald!!!

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I just read a link in a new thread (in the news forum i believe) which claims that people who use nicotine gum long term suffer teeth and hair loss! I can understand tooth loss from chewing the heck out of those things for 14 years, but hair loss? Of course they're blaming it on nicotine, calling it a "super toxin" (never heard that one before :rolleyes:).

If smoking clearly does not cause hair loss, then it's definitely not the nicotine. Therefore, either their claims are inaccurate, or there's something in nicotine gum that they're not telling us about. Hmm.

Proverb

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Boulder, CO
I just read a link in a new thread (in the news forum i believe) which claims that people who use nicotine gum long term suffer teeth and hair loss! I can understand tooth loss from chewing the heck out of those things for 14 years, but hair loss? Of course they're blaming it on nicotine, calling it a "super toxin" (never heard that one before :rolleyes:).

If smoking clearly does not cause hair loss, then it's definitely not the nicotine. Therefore, either their claims are inaccurate, or there's something in nicotine gum that they're not telling us about. Hmm.

People chewing the gum are falling asleep while chewing it and waking up with the gum stuck in their hair? 8-o Hehe, maybe not but it's a funny image :lol:

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
People chewing the gum are falling asleep while chewing it and waking up with the gum stuck in their hair? 8-o Hehe, maybe not but it's a funny image :lol:

Hahahaha it's a good theory--if nicotine caused baldness there'd be a ton of us running around hairless. What a load o'crap! You couldn't fall asleep chewing that nicorette, gawd, that stuff is like gnawing on Silly Putty. It burns the hide off the inside of your mouth too. Those clowns who've flooded the prescription world with their lame excuses for nicotine replacement drugs just choke on the possibility that the Chinese have whomped them a good one with the e-cig. Sore losers.

Duckies

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Philly
I can't speak to nicotine, but there is an effective homeopathic remedy for hair loss (and softening nails). My case was stress, but it can be other causes like extreme weight loss (not male pattern baldness, sorry guys. Besides, bald is sexy!).

The mineral is called Biotin and can be found at any health store or vitamin section of the grocery/pharmacy.

This was recommended to me by my hairdresser and it was amazing. Shedding hair in the shower ended in 10 days and my hair was so thick the next time I saw her that she was surprised - even though she knew how well it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread