Made the switch to the sub ohm world...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, i had to quit cigs, ordered a Halo G6 starter kit w/ some Sub Zero eL. I never touched another cig! That was a year and a half ago. I have been using low resistance cartos on a standard G6 battery and thoroughly enjoy it, but filling cartos can get old pretty quick.

So i figured it was time to experience the "real" vaping world, did a fair bit of research and last week i pulled the trigger. I am in love with Carbon Fiber so when i saw the Aspire CF Mod i was in love! So i placed my order:

Aspire Atlantis V2 Sub-Ohm tank
Aspire CF MOD
2 Sony VTC4 2100mAh 18650 30AMP-Flat Top Batteries
Charger

I was so excited to enter this new would and could not wait for the postman to arrive. I received my package last Friday. I watched tons of vids on YT to make sure i had the correct assembly process down. Got everything together, batteries charged and was ready to enter this new world.

I filled the tank with my favorite Sub Zero eL, let is soak in well and primed, but when i took my first pull i about gagged. It is pretty much unbearable, feels like its burning a hole in my throat! I have tried adjusting different settings with the airflow intake. It came with a 0.3ohm coil installed, and a spare .5. I have tried the 0.5 coil and still not much difference. It just feels real "hot" and has even changed the flavor of SubZero to something not really enjoyable.

So what am i doing wrong? Is SubZero not compatible with Sub-Ohm vaping? I am totally lost and bummed out that i have this awesome looking new toy and fully unable to use it.

I am disabled and work from home on the computer, im pretty much a 24/7 vaper, so you can probably imagine just how many cartos i go through. I hoped with this new equipment cartos would be a thing of the past.

Any experienced vapers have some advice to try? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope i wasnt to long winded.
-Scottie

Reactions: Joseph Conejo

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
It's probably more an issue with your juice than with your current kit... although, there's a bit of a user "break-in period" when jumping from mid-ohm to semi-deep (0.3Ω qualifies) sub-ohm resistances.

Are you running the same juice you did in your starter kit? Same PG and mg/ml nicotine? If it's mid to high PG / nicotine... you might want to increase the VG and reduce nicotine content.

Reactions: tmcase

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Yeah, I guess I'm not saying anything new here but I can only stress that I agree with @edyle. I would guess it's a nicotine problem. I was using 18-24mg before switching to largely subohm and now I use 3mg.

If you can afford it, I would really consider getting some 6mg and 3mg juice to try out. You might even want to think about grabbing some plain food-grade Propylene Glycol or Vegetable Glycerin so you can dilute some juices you may already have laying around that are likely to have too much nicotine for subohm.

Also, it's worth mentioning that some people become more sensitive to any PG in the juice as resistance goes down. I still often use 50/50 VG/PG in subohm tanks though, so I think it's more likely to be the nicotine level than the PG... but it's worth considering. On the flip side, really thick VG juices sometimes struggle in tanks.

So... check/reduce your nicotine level and considering cutting down high nic juices with PG or VG and see if that works. Make sure to give your coil a little bit of time to break in. Every so often they're harsh to start.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Aspire Atlantis V2 Sub-Ohm Tank
Aspire CF MOD

I filled the tank with my favorite Sub Zero eL, let is soak in well and primed, but when i took my first pull i about gagged. It is pretty much unbearable, feels like its burning a hole in my throat! I have tried adjusting different settings with the airflow intake. It came with a 0.3ohm coil installed, and a spare .5. I have tried the 0.5 coil and still not much difference. It just feels real "hot" and has even changed the flavor of SubZero to something not really enjoyable.

So what am i doing wrong? Is SubZero not compatible with Sub-Ohm vaping? I am totally lost and bummed out that i have this awesome looking new toy and fully unable to use it.

I am disabled and work from home on the computer, im pretty much a 24/7 vaper, so you can probably imagine just how many cartos i go through. I hoped with this new equipment cartos would be a thing of the past.

Any experienced vapers have some advice to try? It would be greatly appreciated!

You've already got some great advice, just thought I would toss in my :2c:

The Aspire CF MOD is basically a unregulated mod with some good protection features built in. With an unregulated mod the power is set by the resistance in the atty. At 0.5 ohms you're getting around 30 watts with a full battery which will decline as battery voltage drops until you're vaping at around 20 watts when you have to swap batteries. There is also a 1 ohm head for the Atlantis ver2 which would give you around 15 watts with a fresh battery. Regulated mods allow you to adjust the power without changing head resistance.

As has been said already, at 30 watts you will need to lower the nic content of your juice or you will get a lot of throat hit. To get the coolest vape you can from this setup, open the air flow all the way and do a fairly fast lung hit (instead of a mouth to lung hit, pulling vapor into your mouth first and then inhaling) moving a lot of air past the coil for say a second. This will cool the vape and reduce the TH. If that makes it vapeable you can experiment with longer drags and not inhaling as fast and see what works for you. Using lower nic juice will definitely reduce TH, but won't by itself cool the vape.

If you find that doesn't work for you try a 1 ohm head. 15 watts will be a much less aggressive vape.

A juice vaped at 15 watts will taste different compared to vaping it at 30 watts.

Good luck with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread