Movie Quiz 107

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Heard about the "Love Actually" CMas trend. I've not seen that, and when I've tried, it wasn't up my alley. Up for recommendations (from this thread for that film) though.

Oh, man, I seriously disliked that movie. So bad. I actually wish that I hadn't seen it 'cause it's memorably bad. I'm really not big on bashing lousy movies (or much else) effusively, but I've made an exception of this one a few times over the years, and I tried in vain not to pipe up here :rolleyes:. A.O. Scott was actually charitable in this review - Movie Review - Love Actually - FILM REVIEW; Tales of Love, the True and the Not-So-True - NYTimes.com

Apart from the Pulp Fiction for girls line (grrr), this honest trailer is pretty good...

...but still a good bit too charitable :p!

Reactions: Jman8

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Oh, man, I seriously disliked that movie. So bad. I actually wish that I hadn't seen it 'cause it's memorably bad. I'm really not big on bashing lousy movies (or much else) effusively, but I've made an exception of this one a few times over the years, and I tried in vain not to pipe up here :rolleyes:. A.O. Scott was actually charitable in this review - Movie Review - Love Actually - FILM REVIEW; Tales of Love, the True and the Not-So-True - NYTimes.com

Apart from the Pulp Fiction for girls line (grrr), this honest trailer is pretty good...

...but still a good bit too charitable :p!

Have to reply in Panavision...

Thank-you.gif

Reactions: Jman8

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints part 2:

#5: Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau is dead. At least that is what the world (and Charles Dreyfus) believe when a dead body is discovered in Clouseau's car after being shot off the road. Naturally, Jacques Clouseau knows differently, and he goes undercover with Cato to find out who tried to kill him.

#6: Rusty Dennis is the mother of Rocky, a seriously deformed but intelligent and emotionally warm teenager. Rusty is a no-nonsense mother whose wild lifestyle is often at odds with her tenderness and protectiveness towards Rocky.

#7: Ralphie, a young boy growing up, dreams of owning a Red Rider BB gun. He sets out to convince the world this is the perfect gift. But along the way, he runs into opposition from his parents, his teacher, and even good ol' Santa Claus himself.

#8: Michael Dorsey, an unsuccessful actor, disguises himself as a woman and lands a role on a trashy hospital soap opera. Of course, nobody knows that this new television star is a man... But, after a while, he falls in love with the leading actress of the series, and here is the big problem: how can he express his feelings, since she thinks that Michael is a woman?

Answers coming on Sunday...

movie-quiz_109_5-8.jpg

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
Turns out I was wrong about #7 -- I was thinking it was from a completely different movie! Oh, well. Guess I didn't get my first perfect score after all.

In regards to movies for Christmas time -- this isn't a movie, but it's something i ran across a couple of years ago, and I find myself watching it at least weekly from Thanksgiving onward: Masha and the Bear

The first thirty seconds are raucous music, and it's not in English, but I think you'll enjoy watching it all the same.

A couple of cultural notes:

Snow Maiden is the granddaughter of Father Frost (forerunner of our Santa Claus). She dresses in blue and wears that hat as she helps FF distribute presents.

'Masha' is a name from folklore. As a nickname, it means a girl who is either precociously brilliant or a willful brat, depending on your point of view or if she's standing behind you and holding a sharp object.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Answer time!

#1: Pan's Labyrinth
In post-Civil War Spain of 1944, the bookish, young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world where she meets a fairy who leads her to a maze in the woods. At the maze's center, they meet a faun who tells the girl that she is a princess from a kingdom in the underground. He also informs her that she needs to accomplish three gruesome, tough, and dangerous assignments.

pans-labyrinth_2_sm.jpg

#2: Trading Places
Mortimer and Randolph Duke are commodity brokers who enjoy a little wager now and then. For the latest bet, Randolph believes they can take a common criminal and make him a successful businessman in their company. The criminal, Billy Ray, is to be given the job and home of one of their top executives, Louis, who in turn is set up for crimes he didn't commit, to see if he resorts to crime once he's lost his rich environment and friends.

trading-places_2_sm.jpg

#3: Donnie Darko
The movie's title character is a troubled teenager who escapes death when a jet-engine crashes in his bedroom, because he follows a giant bunny leading him outside. The bunny, called Frank, tells him that the world will end in 28 days. As the final date comes closer and closer, the teen is drawn into an alarming series of events that may or may not be a product of growing insanity.

donnis-darko_1_sm.jpg

#4: Braveheart
When his secret bride is executed for assaulting an English soldier who tried to rape her, William Wallace begins a revolt and leads Scottish warriors against the cruel English tyrant who rules Scotland with an iron fist.

braveheart_2_sm.jpg

#5: Revenge of the Pink Panther
Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau is dead. At least that is what the world (and Charles Dreyfus) believe when a dead body is discovered in Clouseau's car after being shot off the road. Naturally, Jacques Clouseau knows differently, and he goes undercover with Cato to find out who tried to kill him.

revenge-of-the-pink-panther_1_sm.jpg

#6: Mask
TRusty Dennis is the mother of Rocky, a seriously deformed but intelligent and emotionally warm teenager. Rusty is a no-nonsense mother whose wild lifestyle is often at odds with her tenderness and protectiveness towards Rocky.

mask_1_sm.jpg

#7: A Christmas Story
Ralphie, a young boy growing up, dreams of owning a Red Rider BB gun. He sets out to convince the world this is the perfect gift. But along the way, he runs into opposition from his parents, his teacher, and even good ol' Santa Claus himself.

a-christmas-story_2_sm.jpg

#8: Tootsie
Michael Dorsey, an unsuccessful actor, disguises himself as a woman and lands a role on a trashy hospital soap opera. Of course, nobody knows that this new television star is a man... But, after a while, he falls in love with the leading actress of the series, and here is the big problem: how can he express his feelings, since she thinks that Michael is a woman?

tootsie_2_sm.jpg

As always, thanks for playing, guys! :)

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Really love the ones from this latest list. I think Tootsie would be my favorite of the bunch, but it's a very tough call. Braveheart is type of movie I like watching over and over and over. And re-watched Mask recently, which left me crying like a little schoolgirl. And can't go wrong with Donnie Darko or Trading Places. Really great list! Thanks @caffeinated for my suggested inclusions and for closing out the 2015 version of the movie quiz in grand fashion.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
It's been great to see the uptick in participation over the last few quizzes, guys. Thanks to you all for playing along! :toast:

As expected, considering the time of year and all, it's been a busy couple of weeks around the caffeinated household. But, once we get past the holidays, I'll get started working on the next movie quiz.

In the meantime, merry Christmas and happy holidays to you all! :)

hqdefault.jpg

(Unfortunately, the video clip for this doesn't appear to be available online...)

During the Christmas season, I received many Christmas cards. Unfortunately, because I was so busy, I didn't have time to send any out myself. So, if I could, I would like to use this as my Christmas card to everyone who was kind enough to send one to me.

[ puts Santa hat on his head and begins ]

"Dear Friend, or Relative, or Business Associate. Merry Christmas, or Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, or Solstice, or Voodoo Day.

Boy, what a year it's been - me, with my acting, and, you doing whatever it is you do. Thanks for the Christmas card, it was very beautiful, or/and humorous. I enjoyed the photo of your kid, or kids. Boy, he, or she, or they are really getting big. Have you seen our mutual friend, if we have one? Can you believe what he or she is up to? Boy, some people! Does your son, or daughter, or sister, or brother, or husband, or wife still have that drug problem? All you can do is trust in God, or, if you prefer, voodoo.

How is Granny, or Nana, or Mema, or Yaya? So so? Hey, how about the professional sports team we both root for? They should fire, or rehire that manager of theirs. He's a character!

Well, better go. By the way, sorry about throwing up on your carpet that time, or times. I hope you receive many presents from Santa, or the Hanukkah Guy, or the Voodoo Man... and that the coming year is as good as, or better than, or nothing like last year. Love, Alec."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread