Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
I debated briefly about putting together a Christmas-themed quiz, but decided against it. I'll be sure to gather up some good Christmas movie screenshots to post one next year, though.

In the meantime, I present you with Movie Quiz number 94.
001_smile.gif

The thread will run its course for a week or so, and I'll bump it with hints and whatnot as needed. Answers will be posted when the time feels right.

There are eight screenshots below. Most of them should be fairly recognizable if you've seen the films. So, which of these movies can you identify?

Please answer with movie numbers only, not titles..
forum_flail.gif

Good luck!

movie-quiz_96.jpg

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints:

#1: John Carpenter wrote and directed this 1981 movie. The US President's plane has crashed on the Manhattan Island Prison, and Snake Plissken has been sent in to rescue him.

#2: That's Wesley Snipes battling Stephen Dorff, (yeah, the guy from the Blu e-cig commercials). Dorff plays Deacon Frost, the leader of a vampire army, and Snipes plays the movie's title character.

#3: This 1951 sci-fi flick is the original version of a movie successfully remade by John Carpenter in 1982. Virtually the entire story takes place at an Antarctic research facility. Also, a prequel film was made in 2011, and was met with mostly mixed reviews.

#4: On the floor of the elevator, next to the killer, is the bloody body of Angie Dickinson. Outside the elevator door, just out of sight in this shot, is Nancy Allen. Brian DePalma wrote and directed this 1980 thriller, and it has frequently been called both a Hitchcock rip off, and a Hitchcock homage.

Hope these help!

movie-quiz_96_1-4.jpg

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints, round 2:

#5: Made and released in 1984, this movie is based on George Orwell's novel about dystopian future society.

#6: If a screenshot of Paul Newman and Robert Redford in cowboy attire doesn't give this one away, you've probably not seen this 1969 film.

#7: This acclaimed 1979 film was the last movie Peter Sellers (on the right) worked on. His character, Chance "Gardener," is a simpleton who achieves a remarkable degree of fame and power.

#8: In this 1970 film, Dustin Hoffman (on the left), plays Jack Crabb, and Richard Mulligan, (on the right), plays General George Custer. Faye Dunaway is also featured prominently in this story about the life of Jack Crabb who, as a 10 year old, gets adopted and raised by a tribe of Cheyenne indians after a rival tribe massacres the boy's family.

movie-quiz_96_5-8.jpg

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Not quite sure how this contest works, so I will comment instead of entering.... hope that's OK.

#7 is a fantastic movie, and a fitting tribute to the last film the actor finished. (Not sure "The last film he worked on" is correct, as there was a subsequent one he appeared in)

#8 is also fantastic!

Anyone who has problems with #6 should probably find a different contest.....

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
It's not a contest at all, twgbonehead. It's just a little game I post in here every few weeks or so. The idea is to mention, by number 1 - 8, which of the movies you can identify. And additional comments are always welcomed.

Thanks for playing! :)

Edit: Regarding #7 - you are absolutely correct. I was thinking of his posthumous involvement in Trail of the Pink Panther, having completely forgotten about The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu. (Which, frankly, is a movie worthy of being forgotten, IMO.)

Last edited:

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
Thanks for the clues!

#8 was the one I thought it might be.

I figured #5 was that type of movie, I just didn't know which one. :)

I've seen #4, but I would never have recognized a clip from it. I was thinking it might be from a very different kind of movie.

I still have no idea about #2, but that's okay because when you listed the stars, I knew it was something I'd probably not be interested in watching.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
#2 is an action movie, basically, with a supernatural bent. I thought it was entertaining.

Would mentioning the source material give too much away?
Agreed on #2 - It's not a great movie, but it's certainly entertaining. Go ahead and mention the source material. I'm not even 100% sure that I know what you're going to say. :)

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    #1, for what it's worth is an action film whose hero wears an eye patch. Quite a change for a key Disney star who I remember particularly playing a teenager who accidentally becomes a human encyclopedia, accidentally acquires the power of invisibility and, in yet another film, accidentally becomes the worlds strongest person.

Well, caff already gave away the character's name. No guy would be not too embarrassed to admit he didn't know this particular action film. You can pass on the sequel.

If that helps.

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2010
    Kentucky
    #2 is an action movie, basically, with a supernatural bent. I thought it was entertaining.

Those stars got big because millions and millions of people like the kind of movies they make. I just don't happen to be one of them. (And heaven help you if they start making only movies I might like -- it'd be the end of Hollywood as you know it.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread