My First DIY Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

really_now?

Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
NC
haha, yeah there is always breakage/spillage/learning curve in the beginning but you will be realizing savings in the very near future. This calculator will also do 100% pg recipes as well. Keep at it, you will be a master in no time at all.

so far at $22 dollars and you have gotten 80 ml that means you spent .27 cents per ml. that's a saving of around 50% off what you can find it from a vape store online. Who doesn't want a 50% off sale? I know diy isn't for everyone, but its fun and like a hobby and if you want to do it its easy once you get the hang of it. Its very intimidating at first and that's why I made the detailed shopping list with the calc link to hopefully make it easier for folks to get into if they wanted to.

Agreed. Currently the only thing I am about out of is menthol. I have about 4ML left of it. I told you wrong I have about 27$ wrapped up in the supplies i current have, since I bought the PG from a local pharmacy.. so lets call it 67-68ish total with the supplies on order.

I enjoy mixing my own flavors, lets me decide how strong/weak i want it. Currently I have cut the nicotine down to about 1.2% or 12mg/ml.

I have been thinking about making a butter pecan ice cream flavor but that wont be till i try some other flavors and find what i can fall back on just incase.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
@billbeckusa hello there. FYI, I think the lot of the basics you say are missing are because they are all step by step in the calculator/program ejuicemeup that I linked to. If you do step one and download the calculator I think it will make a ton of lightbulbs go off. This is not my application, just what I use and sharing it is available and the guy actually supports it through is own forum.

While I did start off with the mistakes I make about buying 100% vg 18 mg nic and having to back peddle and buy some 100% pg 18 mg nic at a higher ml ratio so I could create a 60/40 mix like I prefer... I then went on to start over by saying "if I knew then what I know now" and proceed to offer up a grocery list (including as you mentioned about getting 50/50 nic at a higher concentrate) coupled with the software download that explains how to mix the grocery list.

Oh and the calculator also takes into account if your flavoring is pg or vg based or even 0 based. Also if you add any water or alcohol to your mix. The software is on revision 13 so it has gone through lots/most possible scenarios and been corrected where lacking. Give it a shot, you will be glad you did. :) hope this helps and happy DIY

Oh, I know all about DIY and have been vaping since 2009. My point is that you never stated your target nic level, and preferred PG/VG mix. Since that is the target and the variable we shoot for, you have to have a starting nic higher than 18 mg/ml unless you wish to vape below 10 mg/ml on some flavorings. There are flavorings that will take you to almost 50% before adding any additional PG or VG, though most don't, not leaving much, if any room to adjust for PG/VG. Still don't know your target nic and target mix. If I did, I could figure out exactly what my limitations would be on the flavorings I use. I think it's wonderful that you're so into DIY. I get it and feel the same way. I am simply providing a counter-point to have us think about the possibility of needing a higher starting nic. Again, great job in your enthusiasm, your start, your explanations, etc. I wish you nothing but the best. Truly. What juice do you like? What nic? What PG/VG ratio? With that information, might be able to make some suggestions that would make it both easier and less expensive for you. That's where I'm coming from. Again, all the best, brother!

Last edited:

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
yeah, I could tell by your post count you are old hat at this... :) Also figured you had been doing DIY for a while (though didn't think as far back as 09 haha). Actually I did state my preferred mix of 60/40 a few times. Also I am currently at 18mg which is why I explained my mistake of buying 18 mg nic that I couldn't dilute to make my proper ratios or as you stated "the target and variable we shoot for". Also why I emphasized about buying high concentrated nic in my step by step so you could dilute it down to the pg/vg ratio that suits the person. But i also didn't put my preffered nic level in as to confuse everyone as once they use the calculator that where that gets explained (though im sure you have developed your own bulletproof spreadsheet or calc over the last 4 years :)) I do appreciate the complement on my enthusiasm etc. I thought I would just try and keep it as simple as possible for other noobs such as myself. Now its off to my second concoction of banana cheesecake. Tasting pretty good, haha. We are on the same page my friend. All the best to you as well sir.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
yeah, I could tell by your post count you are old hat at this... :) Also figured you had been doing DIY for a while (though didn't think as far back as 09 haha). Actually I did state my preferred mix of 60/40 a few times. Also I am currently at 18mg which is why I explained my mistake of buying 18 mg nic that I couldn't dilute to make my proper ratios or as you stated "the target and variable we shoot for". Also why I emphasized about buying high concentrated nic in my step by step so you could dilute it down to the pg/vg ratio that suits the person. But i also didn't put my preffered nic level in as to confuse everyone as once they use the calculator that where that gets explained (though im sure you have developed your own bulletproof spreadsheet or calc over the last 4 years :)) I do appreciate the complement on my enthusiasm etc. I thought I would just try and keep it as simple as possible for other noobs such as myself. Now its off to my second concoction of banana cheesecake. Tasting pretty good, haha. We are on the same page my friend. All the best to you as well sir.

We're totally good Zeus (his quote I believe, right?). Like many here, we just all need help and like to help others. If I was too harsh, apologies, my friend. Love your path, enthusiasm, and interest in DIY. While I did start vaping in 2009, I also started in 2011 (again), and again in 2013. It's only been 6 /7 months where I've been totally smoke free, about 2 or 3 months of active posting, and DIY, better batts and delivery devices, and stronger juice is why 2013 was finally different for me. Keep doing what you're doing. The DIY section is awesome and very helpful, particularly with starting percentages. All the best!

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
not harsh at all and glad you are my first friend on my ecf contacts. looking forward to staying in touch.

though im assuming if I thought your avatar looked more like professor dumbldore rather than gandolf you might get a little mad at me? :blink: haha

LOL. Not in the least. Diggin a hole.gif

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
:ohmy: wow down to .03 cents per ml. I don't think I will ever vape that much and be able to buy that much in bulk and still keep it in shelf life. Though my latest research has been into freezing the nic juice in case the fda and the gov crack down on it. Just got a bunch of cobalt blue glass bottles in case I need to stock up and freeze.

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
I freeze my nic but it will just get less potent when it gets past its use by date, I buy my vg from a place that sells 2 gallon w/ free shipping for $46. I get my PG from the local tractor supply store for $19 a gallon. Flavoring cost the most but I buy large bottles when I know I like the flavor and I don't think flavors go bad i just pulled out a bottle of toasted almond that I have touched since I bought it almost 3 years ago because they were talking about the flavor in the DIY sub forum and it's fine.

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
I am a little confused. I thought the reason to freeze the nic juice was to preserve/extend the life. But the way I am reading the statement "I freeze my nic but it will just get less potent when it gets past its use by date" is that even if its put in the freezer it still half lifes its self/deteriorates/gets less potent after its normal use date anyway. So what the reason for freezing it if not to extend its use date? Just to keep it a little fresher?

:blink: I think I am hijacking my own thread... :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread