Need lots of advice with tanks with my Provari Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtmnd

Dec 10, 2012
Boston
I'm definitely not new to vaping (4 years!), but It seems as though I am still struggling with getting the right tank for my Provari Mini 2.5. I have two of them.

I have tried many tanks, but have been using he Kayfun Light Plus V2 for the past couple of years, as I was so frustrated with burns and leaking on so many others. I'm pretty sure it's user error, but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong or if I'm just using the wrong tank for the powerful Provari.

Let's start with building coils: I use a 3mm screw thing (although it has a variety of sizes I could use, 3mm seems to be the best). I use 28 gauge Kanthol. Wrap it anywhere from 6-11 times (they all seem to work similarly). Torch it and try to get it tight. Use less and less cotton. yet I still get a burn after using. I am a chain vaper. I have never been able to get a cloud of vape like I see on youtube videos. If I came close, it dies down within the day.

I don't understand how to get the ohms you want and what that actually means for strength of vaping. Ugh...I need help. This is bad after vaping for 4 years. ha.

I make my own juice using a 60/40 recipe.

What am I doing wrong? What suggestions do you have for tanks? How can I prevent the burn?

There's so much information out there that I can't tell what is for the Provari. Thanks for the help!!

scotdc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2015
Vegas, Baby
Just remember that your Provari is just another device, essentially no different from any other (not talking about the quality here, just the nature of the device). Tanks will operate the same, no matter what device they are sitting on - given that the power settings are equal.

If you want clouds, the Kayfun and the Provari are the wrong choices. You probably want a higher power device and something you can build dual coils on. Burn through a tank of juice in a couple of hours and get those clouds you want.

Not for me, that's why I own 7 Provaris. Check the other forums for cloud chasers and glean the knowledge you need.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I'm definitely not new to vaping (4 years!), but It seems as though I am still struggling with getting the right tank for my Provari Mini 2.5. I have two of them.

I have tried many tanks, but have been using he Kayfun Light Plus V2 for the past couple of years, as I was so frustrated with burns and leaking on so many others. I'm pretty sure it's user error, but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong or if I'm just using the wrong tank for the powerful Provari.

Let's start with building coils: I use a 3mm screw thing (although it has a variety of sizes I could use, 3mm seems to be the best). I use 28 gauge Kanthol. Wrap it anywhere from 6-11 times (they all seem to work similarly). Torch it and try to get it tight. Use less and less cotton. yet I still get a burn after using. I am a chain vaper. I have never been able to get a cloud of vape like I see on youtube videos. If I came close, it dies down within the day.

I don't understand how to get the ohms you want and what that actually means for strength of vaping. Ugh...I need help. This is bad after vaping for 4 years. ha.

I make my own juice using a 60/40 recipe.

What am I doing wrong? What suggestions do you have for tanks? How can I prevent the burn?

There's so much information out there that I can't tell what is for the Provari. Thanks for the help!!
Are you getting a burnt taste right off the bat with a fresh wick? When I first started using Kayfuns I was trying to use too little cotton, and would get that burnt taste. You want the wick to be snug, but not too tight in the coil. Then you want to trim it so that it just touches the bottom of the deck, it helps to put a drop or two of juice to help keep it there. Make sure the wick doesn't block the juice flow channels and observe it when you screw the bottom part of the chimney on there, if it moves a little you can get it back in place with some pointy tweezers or a long pin. you want to really wet the wick and then re-assemble the tank and fill it up. For me, I like my Kayfuns with a 1.6-1.8 ohm coil and i run them at 3.7-3.8 volts.

Maybe if you could show a picture of your build somebody could try to give some pointers on how you could try to improve it. Hope this helps...

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I use the Kayfun mini V3 and I find it to be flawless. I had earlier versions and they performed well also. The only reason I upgraded was for ease of filling and being able to re-wick with a full tank. That being said, the Kayfun was designed for flavor, not clouds. If you crank up the voltage too high and chain vape, you will get dry hits. It simply doesn't wick fast enough for that. I make a 1.4 ohm coil, 7 wraps around 2.5mm with 28 gauge and set my voltage at 4.2 and I find it to be perfect.

Reactions: vtmnd

vtmnd

Dec 10, 2012
Boston
I use the Kayfun mini V3 and I find it to be flawless. I had earlier versions and they performed well also. The only reason I upgraded was for ease of filling and being able to re-wick with a full tank. That being said, the Kayfun was designed for flavor, not clouds. If you crank up the voltage too high and chain vape, you will get dry hits. It simply doesn't wick fast enough for that. I make a 1.4 ohm coil, 7 wraps around 2.5mm with 28 gauge and set my voltage at 4.2 and I find it to be perfect.

Thank you! This is very informative. I am looking for more flavor and throat hit. I don't necessarily care about cloud, but people have told me that more cloud is better. I will try 7 wraps on a 2.5mm with my 28 gauge. I should also try to stop chain vaping. ha. Thanks!

Reactions: kas122461

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Keep in mind that cloud chasing comes at a cost: increased juice consumption. You can't make more vapor without using more juice to do it. Consequently, you're getting more nicotine so you have to reduce the nic level in your juice. If you enjoy cloud chasing, so be it. But if you just want to replace the nicotine from your cigarettes, it's pointless and expensive.

You might want to try come Japanese cotton. It comes in flat squares and all the fibers run in the same direction, so it wicks better and it's a lot easier to work with. Once bag of this stuff from Amazon will last years.

Reactions: vtmnd

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Thank you! This is very informative. I am looking for more flavor and throat hit. I don't necessarily care about cloud, but people have told me that more cloud is better. I will try 7 wraps on a 2.5mm with my 28 gauge. I should also try to stop chain vaping. ha. Thanks!
Many dislike rayon but I like it as it doesn't swell as cotton does. Therefore, I can cram as much rayon into a KFL+ coil as I like and it won't be over wicked. As above, let the ends of the wick go just past the deck, make sure it doesn't block the juice channels, make sure the wick is saturated, screw it all together and fill from the bottom.

A KFL+ has small juice channels, so it isn't really a great tank for chain vaping unless you dremel out the juice channels a bit. Some of the clones have bigger channels.

My wife can't use a KFL+ as she Vapes to quickly/often. Anything with a Nautilus coil works for her better. She is currently using a Kabuki, Nautilus Mini and a Triton Mini. The Nauti rebuildable is a PITA IMO, so you would have to buy coils ($9-10/5pc).

I also like the Crown and Kangers STM tanks as they can get tight or wide open airflow. Both are generally built with a single coil at around 0.5ohms, so good clouds. I use these 2 a ton when giving my KFL and Kabukis a break. Edit: these 2 tanks won't work under about 1ohm, so 0.5 isnt an option with a 2.5.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
This is all helpful information. I guess I'm not cloud chasing. I just don't get as much vape cloud as others I see. I'm realizing maybe it's all because I am chain vaping. I prime my cotton, I use a low voltage, and I still get the burn. I think I'm going to try a dual coil tank. Any suggestions on a tank you all like?
I chain vape with no problems. Some of the previous Kayfun clones where not properly done in the juice channels and I had to dremmel them out. All of the v3 minis have been superb. The juice delivery system is different than those 2 little channels.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Keep in mind that cloud chasing comes at a cost: increased juice consumption. You can't make more vapor without using more juice to do it. Consequently, you're getting more nicotine so you have to reduce the nic level in your juice. If you enjoy cloud chasing, so be it. But if you just want to replace the nicotine from your cigarettes, it's pointless and expensive.

You might want to try come Japanese cotton. It comes in flat squares and all the fibers run in the same direction, so it wicks better and it's a lot easier to work with. Once bag of this stuff from Amazon will last years.
Not true- at least not for me.

20160315_174923_20160315_174949_zpsitmoylgn.jpg
20160315_182426_20160315_182516_zpsoc9fqhh1.jpg

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Not true- at least not for me.

20160315_182426_20160315_182516_zpsoc9fqhh1.jpg
Where's Lex at? :w00t:

In any case, I likely do 60-70% of my vaping at 13-15w/1.2-1.9ohms and the rest at 30-50w/0.2-0.5ohms.

I find very little difference in juice consumption between the two because I only vape 6mg juice. I don't chain vape when I subohm like I do with a Kabuki or KFL+, so therefore I use less juice.

If I subohmed at 3mg and used 6 for the rest, it would likely be a different story.

I get good clouds from both but obviously one would get bigger clouds at 80w than 8w with the same juice.

I would definately disagree that it is "pointless" to use high wattage low ohm setups to quit smoking.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy

In any case, I likely do 60-70% of my vaping at 13-15w/1.2-1.9ohms and the rest at 30-50w/0.2-0.5ohms.

I find very little difference in juice consumption between the two because I only vape 6mg juice. I don't chain vape when I subohm like I do with a Kabuki or KFL+, so therefore I use less juice.

If I subohmed at 3mg and used 6 for the rest, it would likely be a different story.

I get good clouds from both but obviously one would get bigger clouds at 80w than 8w with the same juice.

I would definately disagree that it is "pointless" to use high wattage low ohm setups to quit smoking.
It's definitely not kicking out 80W yet so many people have this misconception huge clouds cannot be achieved with a ProVari.

Reactions: ENAUD

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario

Most people who quit smoking require a certain amount of nicotine, depending on how heavy they smoked. For tootle puffers, that's anywhere from 12mg to 36mg. If you subohm, you're going to have to drop that to 3mg to 9mg or it will be too harsh. So, in order to achieve the level of nicotine you need, you have to go through 4 times as much juice. Your daily requirement is what it is and if you're vaping a low level of nic, you have to vape more of it. It's axiomatic. If you require 120mg a day, you're going to use 10ml at 12mg or 40ml at 3mg no matter how you vape it. It's just simple math. Therefore, if you're vaping just to get the nicotine, and you have to lower the nic level due to the high wattage, then it really is pointless and expensive and potentially worse for your health. If you do it because you enjoy clouds or the feeling, that's a different story.

Reactions: jwbnyc

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
From a person that bought and threw away many a kayfun, let me tell you i have hated them. Then something just snapped and it worked. I even took mine to a shop and had the guy show me and when i got home i screwed it all up. I do use the cotton pads, but have found that if i make the strip nice and wide and then kinda roll it between my fingers it comes out just right. i use a 2.5 with about 7 wraps. if i cut the wick right at the outside of the overall base and then tuck it back in it is great. I too am a chain vaper. i empty a kayfun on my way to work. That is about a 45 min drive for me. just to give you an idea. i usually run my radius at about 11w. sometimes higher. just depends but usually at 11. i never get a burnt taste unless i run it out of liquid. I have been using the russian, kayfun 4 and a mini kayfun 3. i also find this method works well with my mini serpent. if i was at home i would show you a picture of how wide i cut my cotton and all the other steps i take. I never wet my wick first. i let the kayfun do its thing just to make sure it is wicking properly. Takes it a few min, but i have enough tanks that i can wait. Anyways, i hope this helps. Good Luck to you.

Reactions: ravnhaus

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I have a couple of Provari 2.5 and 4 kayfun v3 minis. I also have a bag of cotton, 200' of wire, 2 liters of nicotine along with PG and VG and a several dozen flavors. A scale, 300 pipettes and 84 empty 30ml bottles. I'm all set. I can't think of a darn thing more that I need. It's depressing. I'm going to miss vape mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread