New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
@HotRod19579 Is it ok to delete the 349MB of previous installations i have in C:\...\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations
Yes you can delete. I wasn't even aware that directory was being created. It appears that InstallShield, the installation program, creates the files during the installation process.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Trying to make a "Base" from an existing recipe, but not sure how to use it and if it is giving me the correct values. Need help....Thanks in advance
I'm not sure if I am understanding your question correctly but I'll take a stab at it.

By "base" I am presuming your are referring to the option to "Create flavor base from recipe..." option found in the Edit tab. Correct?

(Note:For the benefit of anyone reading this that may not know what a flavor base is; it a recipe of all the flavor concentrates and additives WITHOUT any added PG, VG, or nicotine concentrate. Basicly it is a complex, or "super" flavor concentrate. A flavor base is most popular with DIYers who have a tried-and-true recipe that they like to make on a regular basis AND they don't wish to handle each of the separate flavor ingredients every time they mix... I DON"T recommend this for recipes that are untested or still in development. This is best saved for recipes you have perfected and don't expect to change.)

If correct; it's pretty simple:
  1. Open the existing recipe in the main window that you wish to make a flavor base for. .
  2. Click on Edit tab (upper left corner of main screen)
  3. Click on Create flavor base from recipe... (last/bottom item of Edit list)
  4. A new pop-up window will open with your new flavor base based on the percentages used in your existing recipe.
At this point, I should address the second part of your question: "and if it is giving me the correct values." The short answer is yes it IS giving you correct values. Let's look at an example to be sure. I have taken a screen shot of a simple recipe that uses whole percentages so the math is easy to see:
upload_2016-12-5_2-9-37.png

To check the math we want to focus on the percentages found in the far right column labeled "Total %." We see that the Nicotine, PG, and VG make up 80% (15+10+55=80). The remaining six flavors make up the other 20% (7+3+3+3+2+2=20). 80%+20%=100%. So far; so good.

Now, because we are creating a flavor base, we are only interested in the 20%. 7 parts of 20 parts total=35% of the total parts (or 7/20=.35 or 35%). 3 parts of 20 parts total=15%. 2 parts of 20 parts total=10% (or 2/20=.10 or 10%). Shall we check our math real quick? .35*20=7, .15*20=3, and .1*20=2. Yep; our math is good.

So Now we know our flavor base (no PG/VG/nic) of 6 ingredients, which needs to total 100%, should look like this 35%+15%+15%+15%+10%=10%=100%

OK so let's see how the program compares:
upload_2016-12-5_2-47-16.png

Perfect!

Now you can proceed. Note how this window is divided into two sections. The left half labeled "Recipe information" and the right half is labeled "New ingredient information."

First we want to save this as a new recipe (click bottom left). A new window pops open allowing us to give our flavor base a new name. Usually, if this is specific to the parent recipe I will call it the same thing with "flavor base" added to the end of the name. Click OK when your happy with the name. You will then see a conformation message saying that the recipe has been created.

If you close the Create flavor base window now you will automatically be redirected to your new flavor base recipe. It will look the same as any of your other recipes except there will be no nicotine, PG, or VG additions. Here is what mine looks like:
upload_2016-12-5_3-16-31.png

Note that the reason the PG ingredient is "100%" is because the flavor concentrates used are all in 100% PG base. If I had declared them as VG, or some PG/VG ratio, this would be different.

Now the last thing I will do to this new recipe is add a note that tells me what percentage I am to use this new flavor base at (in my recipe's case I would add something like "developed to be used at 20%.").

The last thing I haven't yet mentioned is the right side of the "Create flavor base" window. This is useful if the flavor base can be used as a core component for multiple recipes. Say we have a custard, or cream, or peach base that we use as a starting point for a bunch of different recipes. Some DIYers will refer to these as "stone" recipes because they are a corner stone, or starting point on which to build other, different, recipes. So it might be a custard stone or cheesecake stone.

In that case the right side of the "create flavor base" is handy because, at the same time I am creating and saving the flavor base as a recipe, I can also create a new "Flavor" ingredient listing. Then it will be handy to add to any future recipes I may want to use it in. (Note: this isn't really necessary if I am only going to be using it to make the parent recipe.)

I can give it its own name (e.g. Joel's Peach Stone), manufacture name (e.g. Joel's Flavor Bases), assign it a category (e.g. fruit, or tobacco, or others use this for a location designator), and set a default percentage (that the program will automatically set the percentage at when you click on "add ingredient" when you are compiling a new recipe). I can even adjust the drops per mL if I want/know. Click on Save ingredient and it will add it to my flavor inventory.

Anyhow, I hope that answered your question (Lord I hope I got the question right :facepalm:), and didn't confuse you further.

Best wishes. :D

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-5_3-20-23.png
    upload_2016-12-5_3-20-23.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 36
  • upload_2016-12-5_3-44-17.png
    upload_2016-12-5_3-44-17.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 38
  • upload_2016-12-5_3-47-30.png
    upload_2016-12-5_3-47-30.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 38

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@HotRod19579
Is there a way to sort, and list, by Category ("Folder Name" in the Ingredient Editor)? Right now, the only way I see is if you are in an open recipe (or creating a new one) AND have the "Display ingredients by category" box checked (Tools>Options>Ingredients defaults>Display ingredients by category). And then, you either need to open the "Add ingredient" window, or select an existing ingredient and use its drop-down menu which risking unintentionally changing said ingredient.

(Related side-question: when using the feature described above my defaults (no idea why) to "Distilled Water" attached to category "Flavor Enhancers (additives)." In order to see the actual category labels I have to scroll up to "(up one level)" and select it to see the actual category names I have created. Is there a way I can change this to default to the categories themselves and NOT a specific ingredient?)

I notice the ingredient editor will allow me to sort all columns except the "Manufacturer" and "Folder Name" columns. I am guessing this is because of their relation to their attached drop-downs?

In my extremely limited understanding (read "having no clue" :facepalm:) it looks like the easiest (?) solution would be to add it as another column in the Ingredient Inventory window ("Current Inventory" tab) the way you have a sort-able "Manufacturer" column in the same window.

Reason for the request: as a forum/DIY junkie I am constantly looking at new recipes and often want to see if I have certain ingredients in my inventory. I may not have the ingredient listed/named the same way the recipe's author does. I may not have the exact ingredient/manufacturer but want to see if I have something that might make a reasonable substitute.

If I am looking for ingredient "X" (or I have named it "Y" but don't remember what I am calling it) but I know I would have put it in category "A" it would then be a simple as sort and scroll.

Thank you good sir! :D Your software and support are second to none! :wub:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Is it possible to have flavor base recipe increase ingredient amount in the ingredients value when I remake the flavor base a second time. I've been inputting it manual
Not sure what you are trying to ask.

There is an "Adjust total flavor percentage" option under the "Edit" tab but it will only REDUCE the individual percentages as the flavor base is, by nature, already at 100%. If you want to raise some and/or lower other ingredients you will need to do this manually.

If you want to raise all ingredients equally; simply add more of your flavor base to the same amount of unflavored base (In my previous example the flavor base I created was intended to be used at 20%. If I want it stronger, I would just add 25%, or 30%, or whatever I want).

Last edited:

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Not sure what you are trying to ask.
I think what he's asking is - when you make a flavor base, add it as an ingredient, etc.. Then when you go back to the flavor base recipe, make it again - is there a way to add the amount made to the flavor base ingredient in inventory without doing it manually

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I think what he's asking is - when you make a flavor base, add it as an ingredient, etc.. Then when you go back to the flavor base recipe, make it again - is there a way to add the amount made to the flavor base ingredient in inventory without doing it manually
Got ya. No I don't believe so. I see no link between the two after the original creation. Though when I was just now playing with it, when I created a new "ingredient" from a flavor base (via the Create flavor base window), I noticed it auto populated both the cost and inventory amount (based on the value currently in the "Amount to make" field of the "flavor base" recipe. AND, strangely, it didn't seem to deduct any inventory. Perhaps it is still dependent on my clicking the "make recipe" button.

But I digress.

After the initial creation of the (flavor base) ingredient; the inventory appears to require to be manually added to like any other ingredient (unless being added to from the shopping list... which isn't particularly applicable in the case of a flavor base ingredient).

engmia

Apr 29, 2016
I opened your recipe and everything appears to be the correct values of 1.51, see the attached images. Were there any actions that you took where incorrect values started showing?

View attachment 616883 View attachment 616881
Hey sorry for the late answer and thanks for having a look at this. Doing some tests, this does seem to strangely only affect WINE/Linux setups (didn't you mention about wrong calculations reported by a WINE/Mac user or I'm mistaken)?

Please see the attached screenshots for more clarification. Both are the same juice file, running on a newly installed calculator in WINE (the same file I linked you to). Opening the same .XML in a Windows 10 install displays the right calculations (WINE compatibility is set to Win10 indeed)

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-12-09 23-49-51.png
    Screenshot from 2016-12-09 23-49-51.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot from 2016-12-09 23-50-09.png
    Screenshot from 2016-12-09 23-50-09.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 28

VapnJunkie

Sep 26, 2016
I'm not sure if I am understanding your question correctly but I'll take a stab at it.

By "base" I am presuming your are referring to the option to "Create flavor base from recipe..." option found in the Edit tab. Correct?

(Note:For the benefit of anyone reading this that may not know what a flavor base is; it a recipe of all the flavor concentrates and additives WITHOUT any added PG, VG, or nicotine concentrate. Basicly it is a complex, or "super" flavor concentrate. A flavor base is most popular with DIYers who have a tried-and-true recipe that they like to make on a regular basis AND they don't wish to handle each of the separate flavor ingredients every time they mix... I DON"T recommend this for recipes that are untested or still in development. This is best saved for recipes you have perfected and don't expect to change.)

1. Open the existing recipe in the main window that you wish to make a flavor base for. .
  4. A new pop-up window will open with your new flavor base based on the percentages used in your existing recipe.
At this point, I should address the second part of your question: "and if it is giving me the correct values." The short answer is yes it IS giving you correct values. Let's look at an example to be sure. I have taken a screen shot of a simple recipe that uses whole percentages so the math is easy to see:
View attachment 619067
To check the math we want to focus on the percentages found in the far right column labeled "Total %." We see that the Nicotine, PG, and VG make up 80% (15+10+55=80). The remaining six flavors make up the other 20% (7+3+3+3+2+2=20). 80%+20%=100%. So far; so good.

Now, because we are creating a flavor base, we are only interested in the 20%. 7 parts of 20 parts total=35% of the total parts (or 7/20=.35 or 35%). 3 parts of 20 parts total=15%. 2 parts of 20 parts total=10% (or 2/20=.10 or 10%). Shall we check our math real quick? .35*20=7, .15*20=3, and .1*20=2. Yep; our math is good.

So Now we know our flavor base (no PG/VG/nic) of 6 ingredients, which needs to total 100%, should look like this 35%+15%+15%+15%+10%=10%=100%

View attachment 619083
Perfect!

Now you can proceed. Note how this window is divided into two sections. The left half labeled "Recipe information" and the right half is labeled "New ingredient information."

First we want to save this as a new recipe (click bottom left). A new window pops open allowing us to give our flavor base a new name. Usually, if this is specific to the parent recipe I will call it the same thing with "flavor base" added to the end of the name. Click OK when your happy with the name. You will then see a conformation message saying that the recipe has been created.

If you close the Create flavor base window now you will automatically be redirected to your new flavor base recipe. It will look the same as any of your other recipes except there will be no nicotine, PG, or VG additions. Here is what mine looks like:
View attachment 619087
Note that the reason the PG ingredient is "100%" is because the flavor concentrates used are all in 100% PG base. If I had declared them as VG, or some PG/VG ratio, this would be different.

Now the last thing I will do to this new recipe is add a note that tells me what percentage I am to use this new flavor base at (in my recipe's case I would add something like "developed to be used at 20%.").

The last thing I haven't yet mentioned is the right side of the "Create flavor base" window. This is useful if the flavor base can be used as a core component for multiple recipes. Say we have a custard, or cream, or peach base that we use as a starting point for a bunch of different recipes. Some DIYers will refer to these as "stone" recipes because they are a corner stone, or starting point on which to build other, different, recipes. So it might be a custard stone or cheesecake stone.

In that case the right side of the "create flavor base" is handy because, at the same time I am creating and saving the flavor base as a recipe, I can also create a new "Flavor" ingredient listing. Then it will be handy to add to any future recipes I may want to use it in. (Note: this isn't really necessary if I am only going to be using it to make the parent recipe.)

I can give it its own name (e.g. Joel's Peach Stone), manufacture name (e.g. Joel's Flavor Bases), assign it a category (e.g. fruit, or tobacco, or others use this for a location designator), and set a default percentage (that the program will automatically set the percentage at when you click on "add ingredient" when you are compiling a new recipe). I can even adjust the drops per mL if I want/know. Click on Save ingredient and it will add it to my flavor inventory.

Anyhow, I hope that answered your question (Lord I hope I got the question right :facepalm:), and didn't confuse you further.

View attachment 619067

View attachment 619083
Perfect!

View attachment 619087

Sorry for the late reply.....You answered my question perfectly. I kinda had a idea how it worked, but once I sat down to make a recipe into a base/stone I started to get confused. With your in-depth tutorial and the added diagrams to help one follow along really helps.
Thank you so much...I am sure many other will find this tutorial very helpful

Reactions: IDJoel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread