New guy reporting to duty and already laying question! 8o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Immortel

May 2, 2016
Hey guys. Im new here and kinda new in vaping community. Last ... smoked 9.10. 2015 and from 10.10. 2015 I´ve started vaping and since then, never light ....
Kinda proud on it, smoked over 14 years.
Heh, anyways. Im excited to be here to learn more about vaping and such.
So far I´ve collected few regulated and unregulated mods with, mostly, MtL attys.

If I may, here lies my first question.
I want to try quad coil on Derringer v2 clone (just for some CCH testing purposes), which is fine and should be doable (even when considering how hot it will be) but wan to try Raptor T6 clone unregulated mod.
T6 is constructed for parallel set of batteries. Im using authentic VTC4 (at least I think it is authentic), where safe is 20A limit by Mooch´s statement.
So, it is good idea? Should I get for it unregulated mod with serial set of batteries or I can use T6? Know something about parallel and serial set of batteries but some ppl saying that parallel set will be okay and some says serial will be better and safer.
My another question is, how safe this will be? Want to try some extreme build, like 0.2 or something like this. Actually, Im not sure about that and want to know as many yours opinions as I can gather from here.
Any other advices will be nice.
Safety first.

Aaand, sorry for my sometimes terrible english.

Reactions: BrotherBob

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. The Raptor is a good mod, although there's no telling with a clone. If building low is where you want to go, definitely parallel over series. In terms of applied watts, series is probably better; but parallel will definitely tolerate lower builds, the batteries being the same. Two caveats: I do not recommend unregulated mods, especially for new users. It's very easy to get into trouble, and regulated mods are both safer and more powerful. They can be fun-- I use them all the time-- but they ate frustratingly hard to build well, and performance is lacking compared to a regulated. And, building way low is not really advisable on an unregulated mod. Lower than about .25 ohms you start to run in to voltage drop and efficiency problems. You'll still be hitting the batteries harder, but the additional power will mostly be wasted heating the mod and batteries, not the coil. Anything over 80-90 effective watts is really hard to do unregulated, and you have to build insanely low anyway. Take a hard look at an RX200 instead. You can get them under 40 bucks US, and they'll go to 250 watts on HD2C batteries. A lot safer, and will tolerate much lower builds as well.

Immortel

May 2, 2016
Thanks, suprtrkr.

About building low, it was meant to be test. Im not really person who enjoying DtL method of vaping but CCH seems to be fun, sometimes.
Can you tell me the risk of vaping with this equipement I´ve mentioned? I know about venting, overheating or exploding bateries and have to say, that is really what bothers me most, but are there any other risks?

Before you replied, I´ve builded that quad coild on Derringer v2 clone and have to say, it was not that hard I thought it will be and like it. Did not hit 0.25Ohm but 0.3Ohm, but it is still working good. But there is a lot of heating like you mentioned, specially for atty and some for mod. Because of low battery voltage (about 3.7v) in T6, Im testing this build on kbox mini. I know it is not perfect choice but now I dont have anything better.
When both batteries get to 4.2v, will try that build on T6.

So far Im owning: Subox mini, T6, Vamo v6 25w, and Kato mech mod. Except subox mini, everything is probably clones. Oh, almost forgot. Friend gave me some old mechanical compact with RDA (without 510 screw).

Will think about RX200, even when Im really attracted to unregulated mods.

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Thanks, suprtrkr.

About building low, it was meant to be test. Im not really person who enjoying DtL method of vaping but CCH seems to be fun, sometimes.
Can you tell me the risk of vaping with this equipement I´ve mentioned? I know about venting, overheating or exploding bateries and have to say, that is really what bothers me most, but are there any other risks?

Before you replied, I´ve builded that quad coild on Derringer v2 clone and have to say, it was not that hard I thought it will be and like it. Did not hit 0.25Ohm but 0.3Ohm, but it is still working good. But there is a lot of heating like you mentioned, specially for atty and some for mod. Because of low battery voltage (about 3.7v) in T6, Im testing this build on kbox mini. I know it is not perfect choice but now I dont have anything better.
When both batteries get to 4.2v, will try that build on T6.

So far Im owning: Subox mini, T6, Vamo v6 25w, and Kato mech mod. Except subox mini, everything is probably clones. Oh, almost forgot. Friend gave me some old mechanical compact with RDA (without 510 screw).

Will think about RX200, even when Im really attracted to unregulated mods.
No, essentially those are the risks that worry me. It's easy to overstress your batteries with a mechanical mod, and there's no safety cut outs to save you. Aside from that, the risks are the same no matter what gear you're using. I love mech mods-- I started back in the day where there simply were no high power regulated mods available-- and I am used to them. They are a challenge to build well. Battery voltage is fixed, and about all you can do is change the coil to change the vape. There probably isn't a better way to become a really good coil builder than to work on a mech. You have to get it right; there's no way to push a button and power through it. That said, I am also aware of their limitations. The bottom line is, regulated mods, whether variable voltage or wattage controlled, are far more flexible, can attain greater applied power through their ability to vary voltage, and are simply safer as they have cut out circuits to (hopefully) prevent you from overloading it. Just my 2 cents, do as you like. If you want to play the unregulated game, there are plenty of people around here, including me, with some experience who will be happy to help.

Immortel

May 2, 2016
Didnt want to say those risk I´ve mentioned (overheating, venting and exploding) is something I´m disregarding. Those are my first concern, dont worry. Im trying to check temperature, battery capacity and such as far as I can. I know it is not 100% best but doing what I can. Im daily using mechs for MtL with others regulated mods (like Vamo v6, which is awesome). Regulary checking Mooch´s topics, so Im trying to be up to date as possible I can.
Still waiting for last battery to get recharged so I can test it on T6.
Thanks for informations, I had some doubts about parallel/serial set of batteries and such, now I can start with that.
Will do some more research and I´ll see, if CCH/DtL is something for me :)

Reactions: suprtrkr

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Those are my first concern, dont worry. Im trying to check temperature, battery capacity and such as far as I can.
With regards to safety, it's a cells CDR (and ohm's law) that you need to be concerned about when using an unregulated mod.

When considering how low you can build you need to give yourself some headroom. I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged cell (4.2v). So with a 20A cell (like the Samsung 25r), that would be 10A. This Ohm's Law Calculator tells me that a 0.4Ω build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the cell degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the cells c rating (amp limit). So down the road, a 20A cell may only be a 10A cell."

With a 30A cell (like the LG HB6), 0.28Ω is the lowest I would want to build.

Last edited:

Immortel

May 2, 2016
Forgot to mention it. I'm always checking steam engine for current drain at every new build I'm making. Then checking CDR stated by Mooch on battery I'm currently want to use.
So, even when VTC4 states 30A on itself, I believe much more Mooch statement (20A in this case) and trying use max 80-90% of it.
It is interesting that you using 50% of its CDR and I'm guessing it is really better for battery life.
But when on parallel set of batteries in unregulated mech, two VTC4 in this case, 40A is limit here, right? Because batteries will split current drain between them.

Odesláno z mého ASUS Zenfone 2

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
It is interesting that you using 50% of its CDR and I'm guessing it is better for battery life.
For me it's all about amps. As the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit).

I don't discard my cells when the mAh starts to degrade. I'd be throwing out too many cells each month if I did this.

Though I do love mechanicals & unregulated mods I much prefer regulated mods for low resistance builds due to voltage sag. There's a lot to be said for regulated mods and their ability to boost and maintain voltage. And I do like running some of my setups using temperature control.
But when on parallel set of batteries in unregulated mech, two VTC4 in this case, 40A is limit here, right? Because batteries will split current drain between them.
Correct.
  • Two cells in parallel doubles the amps & mAh while maintaining the voltage of one individual cell.
  • Two cells in a series (stacked or wired as such) doubles the voltage while maintaining the amps & mAh of one individual cell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy-Chi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread