New here and have a Battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayrod0221

Aug 16, 2017
I recently purchased a smok AL85 with a TFV8 Baby Beast tank. Im wondering what battery would work best for it. The only mod ive used had a built in battery, so im new to the 18650's. I bought 0.15 coils for it and plan on pushing about 40-50 watts. I just want to make sure the battery I buy can handle the wattage. I already bought a battery when I purchased the mod and tank. I bought a LG HG2 which is 3000mAh and 20A. If I did the calculations correct, it said id be pushing 28A with 0.15 coil and that battery. I don't know if that is accurate or not. I just want to make sure im using the correct battery for my mod, or if I need to buy different ohm coils to go with that battery. Thanks!

Reactions: Letitia

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Welcome to ecf.
These three are the best 18650 batteries
1. Samsung 30q
2. Sony Vtc6
3. Lg Hg2

Choose any of these and you're good to go. :)
Also with any of these 3 choices and a good regulated mod like the al85. You don't need to do any sort of calculations. Vape however you like. The mod will cut you off if you're doing something you shouldn't.

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Welcome to the forum. I was confused at first too but resistant doesn't matter with regulated mod. I=W/V so 50W/3V(Smok V cuttoff)=16.7A. 60W would be 20A when battery getting low so about the max you'd want to go single 18650 those batteries.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
You don't have to but it is best to understand the amount of amps being demanded from the battery by the 'chip' to select an appropriate cell.
---> Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

Putting all your faith / relying on safety features of cheap mass produced electronics with poor QC isn't really all that safe, depending on how you define safe.

The AL85 has a fairly high battery low voltage cut off 3.4v - 3.6ish v, which effects total amp draw from the battery (input).
At the low voltage cut off amp demand will be highest.
The amps displayed on the screen is a worthless output it has nothing to do with demands being put on the cell.

A single 3000mah 20a CDR cell wouldn't be a good choice for someone wanting to vape 60+w.

The LGHG2 is a decent 18ish a CDR cell, at the power level the OP intends to use, it will do the job.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Mooch has a nice recommended chart of batteries, with reputable dealers at the bottom. Any of the 20A batteries are fine for your AL85.
Battery Chart.jpeg

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I recently purchased a SMOK AL85 with a TFV8 Baby Beast Tank. Im wondering what battery would work best for it. The only mod ive used had a built in battery, so im new to the 18650's. I bought 0.15 coils for it and plan on pushing about 40-50 watts. I just want to make sure the battery I buy can handle the wattage. I already bought a battery when I purchased the mod and tank. I bought a LG HG2 which is 3000mAh and 20A. If I did the calculations correct, it said id be pushing 28A with 0.15 coil and that battery. I don't know if that is accurate or not. I just want to make sure im using the correct battery for my mod, or if I need to buy different ohm coils to go with that battery. Thanks!

Regulated mod, uses a different formula for calculating battery amp pull via the watts set

Watts Set/Lowest Battery Charge Level/90% (or 0.9) Control Board Efficiency = Maximum Amps
Most mods operate in the charge level of 3.2v lowest battery charge to 4.2v full charge per battery, being single battery we use the 3.2v, and you max set watts of 50watts we get

50watts/3.2v/0.9=17.3611 Amps Maximum at lowest battery charge

Only time Ohms come into play on a Regulated mod, unlike a mechanical or unregulated mod, is A) Read Ohms to determine if they are within the mods programmed safety limits, this is generally 0.1 or 0.15ohms lowest to 3.0ohms highest, B ) if ohms are good, record the reading, check set watts, adjust voltage with that Ohm reading to reach set watts, after that, Ohms have no bearing on amp drain with a regulated mod, it is the watts that do.

Suggested batteries for you watts range
Samsung 30Q 3000mah (lavender)
Sony VTC6 3000mah (pine green)
LG HG2 3000mah (chocolate brown)

You'll need the mah runtime more than the amps, if you go above 50watts then
Upto 75watts - Sony VTC5A 25amp CDR 2500mah (pine green)
Upto 85watts the max on the mod - LG HB2, HB4, HB6 1500mah 30amp CDR <-No battery in 18650 format has a higher CDR rating than these 3 here, any with a higher amp limit printed on the labels are a lie, the big 4 (Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic/Sanyo) never print amp limits on their batteries, they use spec sheet printouts.

Places to get authentic A Bin batteries
US/Mexico/Canada
Liionwholesale.com
imrbatteries.com
illumn.com
orbtronic.com
RTDVapor.com

UK/EU
fogstar.co.uk (UK)
batteriesplus.co.uk (UK)
nkon.nl (Netherlands)

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Actually, 20a CDR may not be sufficient when using any single cell power device.

Assuming a 3.5v cut off.
63w / 3.5v = 18a + 10% device inefficiency = 19.8a
75w / 3.5v = 21.4a + 10% inefficiency = 23.5a
85w / 3.5v = 24.2a + 10% inefficiency = 26.6a

There are many power devices with low voltage cut offs in the 2.8v ~ 3.2v range which increases battery amp demand.

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Actually, 20a CDR may not be sufficient when using any single cell power device.

Assuming a 3.5v cut off.
63w / 3.5v = 18a + 10% device inefficiency = 19.8a
75w / 3.5v = 21.4a + 10% inefficiency = 23.5a
85w / 3.5v = 24.2a + 10% inefficiency = 26.6a

There are many power devices with low voltage cut offs in the 2.8v ~ 3.2v range which increases battery amp demand.
Why I said max 60w single 18650 in AL85 and why I have a GX2/4 running 2x18650's...

Reactions: Letitia

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ok so the LG HG2 will work then. I just got it from the same site as I purchased my mod off of, so im hoping they wouldn't sell knock offs. Thanks everyone.
Yes the LG HG2 is a solid choice. I use 8 of them as well as 4x LG HE4's (got them before learning about the HG's) and 4x Samsung 30Q's.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I recently purchased a SMOK AL85 with a TFV8 Baby Beast Tank. Im wondering what battery would work best for it. The only mod ive used had a built in battery, so im new to the 18650's. I bought 0.15 coils for it and plan on pushing about 40-50 watts. I just want to make sure the battery I buy can handle the wattage. I already bought a battery when I purchased the mod and tank. I bought a LG HG2 which is 3000mAh and 20A. If I did the calculations correct, it said id be pushing 28A with 0.15 coil and that battery. I don't know if that is accurate or not. I just want to make sure im using the correct battery for my mod, or if I need to buy different ohm coils to go with that battery. Thanks!
Welcome and glad you joined.
I have provided a little more information which might help choosing/evaluating batteries.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor
A Guide to Safe Charging - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety
Vaping 101: Battery Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread