Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
New Illinois Law Imposes Fine For Minors With E-Cigs

Anyone under 18 who’s caught with electronic cigarettes or other tobacco-free nicotine products would face a fine or community service under a new Illinois law.

Gov. Bruce Rauner signed legislation last week that imposes penalties for minors who possess e-cigarettes.

Somehow, I never saw anything about this being in the works.

Reactions: skoony

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Since you already live in the state you know Rauner is shady when it comes to bargaining and legislation.

Personally I think this is common sense and then they can stop saying what about the children. We can simply respond that they already took care of it by making it illegal.
A 17-year-old wanting to quit smoking might rightfully be outraged. I should change the thread title to include the community service penalty.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Nicnik, just my personal thoughts. It's weird because there was just a thread about a 16 year old kid that had a mech pop while vaping next to his dad in the car. And if I remember the story correct his dad talked smack about vaping. Tobacco is 18 YO and they consider vaping tobacco so under 18 is stuck, they should enforce the fines on smokes but they don't.

Honestly, I have older kids and I don't want them vaping or smoking. Both have listened to me and have stayed away from them even though they grew up around a smoker.

Last edited:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Nicnik, just my personal thoughts. It's weird because there was just a thread about a 16 year old kid that had a mech pop while vaping next to his dad in the car. And if I remember the story correct his dad talked smack about vaping. Tobacco is 18 YO and they consider vaping tobacco so under 18 is stuck, they should enforce the fines on smokes but they don't.

Honestly, I have older kids and I don't want them vaping or smoking. Both have listened to me and have stayed away from them even though they grew up around a smoker.
Well, I hear what you're saying, but it further blurs the distinction between smoking, and several way safer options that are also the best quitting methods. In that regard, the collateral damage could be enormous.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
We agree there Nic but there are a lot of lines blurred when it comes to the deeming regs. Pick your poison, save the children, not tobacco or the craziest one (sarcasm) if a 17 YO is already smoking wouldn't it be better for them to vape?

Hell child proof caps are required because parents need the government to babysit for them, what about the poor person with arthritis that can't open child proof caps? That 16 YO kid having a Mech pop on him didn't really help us much either and that made it from Canada to our channel 5 news. Nobody blames the user, it's the device.

I'm not saying your wrong and I agree with you to some extent. I have no better way to put it.... Causalities of war

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Good. Not because I am necessarily against underage vaping per say.
I am against one way compliance checks that are designed to do
one thing. Exploit Owners out of more money by deliberately trying
to trick overworked underpaid clerks sell to minors who are picked
because they look 10 years older than they are. Aside from the fact
that compliance checks have never been proven to reduce smoking
or drinking in the underage groups. We have a saying up here.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Reactions: Marc411

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Well, not that I agree, but at least they're consistent.

I feel bad for any underage smokers who are already addicted and may be seeking an alternative. Or who are considering smoking, but might otherwise choose vaping.

It will be interesting to see how enforcement plays out. Would be great to know the numbers of teen smokers, teen vapers, how many are charged with possession of cigarettes, and how many are charged with possession of vapor products.

Reactions: nicnik

Fresh kevin

Feb 4, 2016
I think this is a good thought. If I were under 18 I'd probably be ....... But in all honesty vapes can attract kids because of the taste over cigs. Vapes can advertise so much more than cigs can now a days and I think eventually there will be similar regulations regarding vape advertisements.

It can be just as addictive as cigs if you use nicotine or not. It can become a physical addiction for some and minors shouldn't get into it as young as they do.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I think this is a good thought. If I were under 18 I'd probably be ....... But in all honesty vapes can attract kids because of the taste over cigs. Vapes can advertise so much more than cigs can now a days and I think eventually there will be similar regulations regarding vape advertisements.

It can be just as addictive as cigs if you use nicotine or not. It can become a physical addiction for some and minors shouldn't get into it as young as they do.
Do you have anything to back up those claims that you've made? From everything that I have seen, nicotine use, if you were not already a tobacco user, does not develop into dependency.

ETA: The Great Nicotine Myth

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The tobacco controlers, tax collectors, governments, know more about smokers than smokers do. They pay careful attention because the money is important. I'm not sure how important. Some macro economic modeling might help figure that out. Somebody with the know how needs to do that because state and local governments are acting like they would be bankrupt without tobacco taxes and may be they would.

I'm pretty sure cops do NOT want to enforce a tobacco ban on kids. I don't know anything about why not. They might be willing to make vaping arrests because vaping doesn't provide tax support like cigarettes. Cops pay and benefits rely on taxes after all.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm pretty sure cops do NOT want to enforce a tobacco ban on kids. I don't know anything about why not. They might be willing to make vaping arrests because vaping doesn't provide tax support like cigarettes. Cops pay and benefits rely on taxes after all.
I know there are more than a few cops that vape.
I'm still waiting to see a cloud of vapor come out the window of a cop car at a stoplight.
:laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread