New to RBA and got a few questons

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by Buddychuck, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Buddychuck

Buddychuck Full Member

Hello,
    So I am taking the step into RBAs. Just got the IGO-L and wanted to ask a few things.
    Wanting to know how many wraps I should do to get around 1.5-2.0ohms? Right now only have Kanthal A-1 32Gauge and 3.0mm [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Silica Wick.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So far I have done a few builds of 5 or 6 wraps and been getting 2.5-2.7ohms. Do I do more wraps or less to get to 1.5-2.0ohms range?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Any other helpful information or tips/tricks a new builder should please feel free to point me to them. :p[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am running a vamo v2 just so you know what I'm working with.
    Thanks
    [/FONT]

2. JiGGLiN

JiGGLiN Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Less wraps= lower ohms in general. Do keep in mind that ohms is actually determined by length and gauge of the wire. There is a chart around here somewhere illustrating this.

Someone with specific info will chime in and help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. martydmb

martydmb Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

A 4/3 wrap for me with 32awg gets me exactly at 1.8ohms everytime.

4. Kanj.nguyen

Kanj.nguyen Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Ohm is a measurement of resistance, which is proportional to cross area of wire (lower gauge means larger area) and inversely proportional to length.

So using number of wraps to determine resistance has a very large margin of error. If you dont believe me, do 4 wraps of 30awg kanthal around your wick, and then do another coil, still 4 wraps of 30awg, this time wrap it around a tree. Let me know what the difference in resistance is.

5. the_vape_nerd

the_vape_nerd Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Hey, I clicked on this thread b/c I'm interested and never done this before. I would like to start though.

What do you mean by a 4/3 wrap?

6. the_vape_nerd

the_vape_nerd Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Also, what do you guys recommend as a begginer rba? I wouldn't mind having just a dripping rba to start with. I've not wrapped a single coil but I do have some wire and wick at home. Thanks.

7. Kanj.nguyen

It means that on one side you see 4 lines of wire across, and on another 3

I could try and explain it geometrically but its easier to wrap a string around a pen or sth and see what i meant.

8. martydmb

martydmb Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Well I don't vary wick sizes which you must. I cut my mesh the same size everytime and is usually just barely snug. Yeah diff size wick will vary resistance sure. But who goes from a tree size to a toothpick? So yes your right to a degree if you are varying wick size a lot. But I'm always at 1.8 with mine since I been making coils.

9. Kanj.nguyen

I get consistent resistance as well. What im saying is it is not a reliable measurement. For example, if someone new to RBA asks "how to get 1.2ohm with 30awg kanthal" then the answer "5 wraps" is incorrect both practically and theoretically, which may even lead to very unnecessary confusion and frustration. I simply ask that we the more experienced users provide newer users with complete and correct information.

: vamo
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.