New to vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quit smoking cigarettes on July 12th. I bought a VAPUR SMRT-G at my local supermarket, but I had to go to a small independent vaping store to get juice with nicotine content. After smoking for around 50 years, I was not ready to go totally nicotine free.

So far I am happy with the vaping unit I am using, though I initially had some problems getting the battery fully charged. The e-juice I am currently using is called Desert Ship 18mg, made by Flavor Cuisine.

I am happy to say I drove a friend (Dave) to the local reservation the other day to buy tobacco. On the way home I asked him if I could have a smoke. It was so gross. Dave must have thought I was crazy, exclaiming how gross and awful I thought the cigarette tasted, with an ear to ear smile on my face.

I definitely do not want to ever go back to smoking tobacco again, so I am going to buy a second e-cig vaping unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Welcome aboard! Congrats on the switch! I would be inclined to recommend the Cool Fire 4 with an Aspire Nautilus(full size or mini). The Cool Fire 4 has 40W at your disposal, though you wont need that kind of power right away with the tank you have (or the Nautilus for that matter), it will give you lots of room to experiment with different tanks later on. Other decent mods are the iStick 20W (or 30W). Both of them would serve you well.

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
Congratulations on quitting smoking.

It's hard to recommend any one device since there are so many out there and one person may have good luck with a device where another has had bad luck.

I recommend that you check out some of the YouTube video reviews as well as checking out the ECF forums.

Some respected reviewers are Phil Busardo (Pbusardo), Grimm Green, Todd, Rip Trippers, Mike Vapes to name a few.

I'm currently using an Istick TC40W with a Kanger SubTank mini and this combination has been a trouble free combination for me. I just wonder what Phil Busardo will have to say about the Istick TC40W when he reviews it later this week.

I like the fact that I can use replacement coils or rebuild with the SubTank and rebuilding isn't just for the young, I'm 62 and use mostly rebuildables.

Your quest for the perfect vape is just starting, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I'd recommend the iStick 30 w or Coolfire 4 mod (battery) with the Aspire Nautilus Mini. Excellent vape with room to grow.

iStick & Nautilus Mini
4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I tried to find out about VAPUR SMRT, but drew a total blank.
Although, having something of a reasonable memory, I recall some problems with a battery on one of these here on ECF.
Supermarket e-cigs are usually OK, hopefully you were protected against the outrageous prices charged online for regular 'old tech' kit.

I like the iSticks (30 watt) but also have a fondness for Sigelei mini and Cloupor mini.
There's a small collection of legacy products in my box (EVIC, SID, Lavatube) and some mechanical as well... they see some use (the mechs).

I don't much like Joyetech and anything they sell, more or less. The only model that would interest me would be the eGo ONE. The rest of it, i.m.o, is unreliable and over-complicated. People spout on about "no problems reported on XYZ" and they obviously have no google-fu.

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of posts on UK forums about broken Joyetech products and no product support.

Mostly, I like Innokin, Aspire, Kanger, Sigelei.

Thanks so much for your post & link Baditude. I have some friends I have convinced to switch and the videos on your Starter's Setup link, will be extremely helpful to them as well as me.

As a Canadian the only problem I have is finding outlets that sell e-juice containing nicotine. Nicotine juice is currently illegal in Canada E-cigarettes with nicotine illegal, but shops still selling product | Metro but there are shops oot&aboot that operate under the radar. My concern at the moment is the safety of the e-juice products available to me here in Canada, as none of them have been approved legally.

Last edited:

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Reactions: Complaintdesk

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
My concern at the moment is the safety of the e-juice products available to me here in Canada, as none of them have been approved legally.

Not that this helps, but in the UK there are no approved (in a legal sense) liquids. All that is ahead of us when we enter the next phase of vaping evolution. (2016 TPD, EU)
I'm not 100% sure about the USA, but certainly in many countries, liquid is liquid and you have to make up your own mind. There was a UK company that claimed to be selling 'approved' liquid, and I'm afraid that boast cost them all their profits (ever) in the courts.
A top USA liquid maker was also found to be selling liquids with high levels of 'diketones'..
I guess the buying public will judge them as time goes on. I, for one, would never buy again from them. Mostly, threads about this company get censored.

Muru

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
In NL there's a new experiment with nicotine capsules in powdered form that can Be added to 0mg eliquid. That way, shops avoid the max 10ml rule for nicotine eliquids. The people who tried it are moderately positive about it, though the mix seems To gunk up your coils more quickly...

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @Complaintdesk. Glad to have you here!:)

Have you discovered this part of ECF yet => Canada Forum. Read the stickies "pinned" at the top of the page for more information regarding Canadian eliquid suppliers.

Generally, ECF doesn't publicly list their Canadian suppliers due to the existing climate against nicotine in e-liquid.

In NL there's a new experiment with nicotine capsules in powdered form that can Be added to 0mg eliquid. That way, shops avoid the max 10ml rule for nicotine eliquids. The people who tried it are moderately positive about it, though the mix seems To gunk up your coils more quickly...

Very interesting. Your post is the first I've heard of this. Thank you.:)

vmtorres1

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2015
Hello @Complaintdesk! Welcome and enjoy the ride!

I would recommend an Innokin Coolfire IV mod, it would give you some room to grow as you discover things that you like. Tankwise, I use the Innokin iSub tank, they just rolled out two more coil resistances (2.0 and 0.2 as well as the stock 0.5 ohm coils). I just started with the 2.0 ohm coils and they are fantastic.

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
Hi, welcome and congrats!

I just wanted to +1 on the Cool Fire IV, it's a great device. I love mine and it fits so nicely in the hand. Has higher wattage capabilities for down the road and will work perfectly for now. I don't use subtanks (because I don't sub-ohm), so I really enjoy my Kanger Pro Tank 3 Minis on it and they are very affordable with replaceable coils. I have some GS Air tanks on the way in the mail, because there are several that have recommended that one to me. Can't wait to get them and try them out. Good luck on finding a good backup kit! Congrats again on quitting smoking! It's hard, but worth it!

Cloudd

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
This is a bad suggestion (too early): Get on mechs
Pros:
It's a hobby
It's badass
It don't fail
Good flavour
Good vapour production
Cheaper

Cons:
Potential battery hazards (if you're not properly informed, but that's what ECF is for eh?)
Potential fanaticism
Umm.... it's outdated apparently? Who cares it's awesome

So many great suggestions, links and information. Keep it coming please. Not only am I looking for a second unit to complement my VAPUR SMRT-G, but I am also looking for 2 units for my best friend & his partner. They know I have been smoking since I was 5, and have failed at every attempt to quit, thus the fact that I am now a dedicated vaporian has had a huge influence on them.

I am guessing, that most smokers who decide to make the switch, look for a vaping unit that is similar in size, shape & weight to an analog cigarette. I know I did. I was also looking for something that had a battery & juice durance that would carry me through an entire day or more. I got lucky with the VAPUR SMRT-G, unit I bought, it is nearly identical to the EGO Canada Vapes. I am leaning towards the EGO as my 2nd unit and thinking of buying 2 of their starter kits for my friends. The only problem with the EGO is the e-juice they offer here in Canada only comes in 24, 16, 12 & 6mg. Currently I find the 18mg juice perfectly compatible with my former 25-30 analogs a day habit. Not a problem though as the 18mg ej, is available at all the local independent vendors in my area.
http://www.ecigalternative.com/quit-counter/quit-smoking-banner.php

Last edited:

juskiddin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2015
Canada
So many great suggestions, links and information. Keep it coming please. Not only am I looking for a second unit to complement my VAPUR SMRT-G, but I am also looking for 2 units for my best friend & his partner. They know I have been smoking since I was 5, and have failed at every attempt to quit, thus the fact that I am now a dedicated vaporian has had a huge influence on them.

I am guessing, that most smokers who decide to make the switch, look for a vaping unit that is similar in size, shape & weight to an analog cigarette. I know I did. I was also looking for something that had a battery & juice durance that would carry me through an entire day or more. I got lucky with the VAPUR SMRT-G, unit I bought, it is nearly identical to the EGO Canada Vapes. I am leaning towards the EGO as my 2nd unit and thinking of buying 2 of their starter kits for my friends. The only problem with the EGO is the e-juice they offer here in Canada only comes in 24, 16, 12 & 6mg. Currently I find the 18mg juice perfectly compatible with my former 25-30 analogs a day habit. Not a problem though as the 18mg ej, is available at all the local independent vendors in my area.
A fellow Canadian, hello Complaintdesk:
I too am a former cig smoker. Well, 4 days without a cigarette...celebrate the small victories!
I am very new to vaping; about 1 month. My first ecig purchased is the ego one, that is what I still use. I purchased a 2nd ego one so I could have a back up and use 2 different flavours; one in each unit.
I'm quite happy with them although I've never tried any other unit so perhaps ignorance is bliss? As a newbie the only con I can mention is having to refill ejuice quite often. This of course, depends on one's vaping habits. I found it difficult to refill at first but with practice it's much easier now.
Congrats on quitting smoking. Hope you find a 2nd unit that meets your needs. This forum really helps one research!
Cheers

One thing I have noticed is that the various parts of the more popular vaping units have different names, they appear to be interchangeable. For example VAPUR SMRT-G (the unit I use) calls their e-juice reservoir a clearomizer, other brands call their reservoir an atomizer. I am pretty sure my clearomizer will fit on an EGO or an itaste MVP battery pack.

I had previously mentioned I was leaning towards the EGO for a 2nd vapegear, but after further research I am considering the itaste MVP. The flowthrough feature while charging, is really appealing to me. I am still open to suggestions and am going shopping with my cousin this weekend, who has been vaping for around 5 years now. When I consider how much bullion I am saving, I can buy gear like Imelda Marcos does shoes, without coming close to my former monthly tobacco costs.

Reactions: juskiddin
Complaintdesk (cute name!), might I suggest you pop in to this thread Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part Three | E-Cigarette Forum when you're ready? I'm pretty sure there are Canadians who participate, and I know the folks there would welcome you with open arms! Great job, so far. Keep it up!
Thanks LittleBird for that forum thread link. I was amazed at how much I have in common with the late Txtumbleweed, looking forward to obtaining the forum privileges necessary to post in that & other forums. Like Tex, I was also a telecommunications lineman for many years, and am planning a life at sea in the near future. I have a lot of stories about my years in the province of B.C. as lone lineman, unarmed in the wild against bears, moose, wolverines & insects ...

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I'm tagging @Sir2fyablyNutz.

He has a wonderful pic of all his vape gear from the beginning of his journey. Will give you some idea of the size of vape products being recommended.:)

My%20Vape%202%20007_zpst1e620rm.jpg

The towo iStick 50 watt mods far right. Nautilus Mini on Spinner 2 center and center right on iStick 50 watt.

My recommendation for beginners is the iStick 30 W, or Coolfire 4, topped with the Nautilus Mini. Skip the first four steps of beginner vape. The Nautilus on a mod (battery) was my game changer, sort of insurance to me that I was done with the cigs. The Nautilus will work decent on the VV Spinner type, but it's worth it to spend a few more dollars and get something worth keeping with an iStick type mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread