Ni 200 - Is it safe or maybe too early to tell ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triastros

Jul 11, 2015
Hello mates ! Nowadays that temp control mods are here for good, there are many things said about the safety of vaping with Ni200.Yesterday Grimmgreen uploaded a video, in which he admits that diy coils with Ni200 are somehow risky of hotspots-and therefore risky of some nasty oxides- and for this reason he stops making coils with Ni200.There are many opinions said about this issue, besides this yt video so i would like to hear your opinions.

Besides that, personally i had by accident my Ni200 coil glowing red two times, and i realised that due to a weird taste.So i opened everything up and i observed one of the wraps glowing red..i am still wondering why this happened...maybe i had not locked my resistance in the right way... or something was touching something else??
-Sorry for my english-

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
The guy in the video has a number of things wrong:

1. He said "if the wire didn't have resistance, you would have an uncontrollable amount of vapor."

Um no. You would have a dead SHORT and your battery would explode.

• He said at 3:40 "The amount of vapor is solely regulated by the device based on temperature."

Um no. That's not how it works. Temperature has nothing to do with the amount of vapor produced. You can vape at 400F and have very little vapor from one atomizer and you can vape at 400F and get a ton of vapor on another atomizer with a different build. It depends on the wire, the wraps, the heat flux and heat capacity of the wire as well as the power (watts) you put to the coil. Power = heat. However, heat does not equal temperature. Most people don't get this and I wont bother explaining it here. It's a common mistake, so I guess I can forgive him.

• At 4:30 he begins talking about what stainless steel is, what it's comprised of, etc. He is right about the components, but he makes a few very generous assumptions. For instance, he says that chromium doesn't leach from stainless steel. He might want to take a look at some of the studies done on cookware. He also said "we wrap our food in aluminum" implying that it's safe. But he doesn't seem to bother explaining how ingesting something is a lot different from inhaling it.

• Then he begins talking about nickel carbonyl, but it's pretty clear he doesn't have any idea what he is talking about. Nickel Carbonyl is so poisonous that 30ppm (parts per million) in the air will kill an adult human. Yet, so far, I have not heard of any cases of vapers falling over dead. Simple logic tells us that if nickel carbonyl was really being produced, we'd have a lot of people being admitted to the ER with many of them dying. Yet there are no such cases. I don't think this guy is familiar with the Mond process (the chemical reaction that forms nickel carbonyl). Such a chemical reaction is not present in our atomizers.

• At 11:30, he says "Because nickel is so soft, it is water soluble."

False. Nickel is neither soft nor water soluble. Indeed, nickel is rather strong and known to be hard. A quote from a university website:

"Nickel is a hard silver white metal, which occurs as cubic crystals. It is malleable, ductile and has superior strength and corrosion resistance. The metal is a fair conductor of heat and electricity and exhibits magnetic properties below 345°C. Five isotopes of nickel are known.

In its metallic form nickel is chemically unreactive. It is insoluble in cold and hot water and ammonia and is unaffected by concentrated nitric acid and alkalis. It is however soluble in dilute nitric acid and sparingly soluble in dilute hydrochloric and sulphuric acids.

5 minutes of Google must be hard for this guy. Unless we have hydrochloric or sulphuric acids in our e-liquids, the chances of our liquids corroding nickel is about zero.

• At 12:00 he makes a good point. Nickel should never be used on mech mods or in regulated mods in power mode. The Chinese don't do a good enough job explaining this and I am worried that someone is going to throw a nickel coil into their Atlantis and put it on a mech mod.

• At 13:23, he says "A lot of people have reported that when using temperature control, the resistance of the wire is fluctuating like crazy."

That's what is supposed to happen and is precisely why nickel was chosen in the first place! Without the resistance changing based on heat applied (known as the temperature coefficient of resistance), temp control would not work. This is why we can't use kanthal for TC (its resistance is too stable).

I am not saying that there is no leaching of nickel from our coils. Some studies have already shown that there are metals in vapor (nickel included). However, it's unclear whether this is from the atomizer, coil, or some other source. In any case, the studies done on vapor so far have shown tiny amounts of nickel -- far below the safe daily exposure level.

Think about it: if nickel were a real problem, don't you think ANTZ would make a big stink about it?

triastros

Jul 11, 2015
I had the same issue today with a Kanger NI-200 coil in my SX-Mini M in Joule moe. Noticed some dry burn taste, opened the clearomizer and fired the coild without liquid. It glowed red, I've trown away the coil and replaced it with another NI-200. All is fine. Obviously it was a faulty coil!
Was it a ready coil or you made it ?Cause in my situation, it was a handmade one.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    This is interesting. While I tend to peruse both sides of an argument before making a decision, that video (that I had watched in another thread) had pretty much made up my mind that I wasn't going to venture into TC. I most probably still won't, since I'm happy with the 'dinosaur device' I use now, but that has 'grown up' a bit since I started, so who knows?

Scottitude

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 18, 2010
    Metro Detroit
    scottitude.net
    Ni 200 - Is it safe or maybe too early to tell ?

Regardless of some of the inaccuracies in Ron from Independence Vapor's video, it is indeed, too early to tell.

As with many other factors in the vaping experience, individuals should educate themselves and do or use whatever they, as individuals, believe is safest and best for their own well-being.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
    Sep 20, 2015
    This issue has been flipped around in every direction. This is a valid issue though but only speculative since no direct risk have been demonstrated as far as I know. Any coil would release bad stuff if over heated making your vape taste nasty. The melting temperature of nickel is far above the temperature our mods can deliver. Also, high concentration of carbon monoxide would be required for oxidation at lower temperature. Before the development of devices in which the coils won't have any direct contact with the liquid, it's important to use them in their safety range. knowledge is power... Some use Titanium coils as an alternative other choose to hold the use of TC devices. Keep in mind also that Nickel is also in cig smoke... The choice is yours. Vape safe!

pfaber11

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 16, 2009
    england
    I for one won't be using nickel or titanium coils. I don't consider them safe . I have heard several people on this forum say that they have had dry hits from them which should not be possible but it is happening . It obviously does not work 100%. They got it right in the first place with kanthal and I'll be sticking with it.
    Vape on.

Reactions: idahohermit
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread