RDA Noob RDA Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the other day, I purchased a TOBH v2 rda to use on my istick. I thought it would be a simple intro to the world of drippers, and that my iStick would be enough at 20w, since I had read about others using drippers on them.

It was easy to build…10 wraps of 28g kanthal gave me a good 1.23 ohms according to my meter, and I planned on using a single coil. However…when I screwed it on to heat the coils it fired perfectly. After that, the iStick read ohms as 0.0. I put it back on my meter…still 1.23. I finally figured out that it was most likely an issue with the iStick not having an adjustable pin inside the 510 connection, it wasn't able to touch the pin on the TOBH. That pin seems to be adjustable, since there is a spot for a flathead screwdriver on it. So I unscrewed it a little, and that made the iStick read the ohms (1.3) However, it also made the center pin of the dripper…the "ground" I was told…very loose and floppy.

So, having never used one before, I'm not sure whether that's normal or dangerous or ????

I haven't even wicked it much less used it, because I don't know whether I should or not. I tried tightening the center pin again, but if it is tight enough that the center pin won't move, it is too tight for the iStick to read. Help?

That's what you have to do when you don't have a floating 510 mod, your lucky you have an atty with an adjustable pin.....

Yeah, I love my iStick for out and about, but I realize that it has shortcomings. If I end up really enjoying dripping, I'm going to upgrade to something a little heftier with a spring-loaded 510 for that purpose. I just mostly wanted to see what the fuss was all about before I went out and bought a bunch of new stuff, since I'm not really chasing clouds or anything. Just curious at how much better the flavor is with a dripper…everyone at the vape shop assured me that once I try it I won't want anything else, but I'm not sure I feel like fooling with it all the time. Just for at home on the couch.

BoomerFZ1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa
I had the same issue with my iStick and against my better judgement (hey...new Erlkonigin and all that), I got in there with a little flat head and jostled the iStick's 510 pin about a little. It's been working great with all my RTAs now. I ordered the bendy attachment (I don't think that's the technical term) for my iStick and thankfully, eLeaf is adding floating pins on their new devices.

Well…I've still got no luck over here. If I adjust the pin on the bottom of the rda enough to get the iStick to read the ohms, the center post is so wobbly that making contact with the center pin of the iStick isn't enough to steady it. It fires…but the ohms according to the iStick visibly fluctuate, like from 1.3 up to 3.0! This is from the pin being wobbly and distorting the coil, I'm guessing, because if I put the rda back on the meter it reads the ohms as 1.23, the screws are tight, the wire is intact inside them. Fiddling with the 510 pin and my tiny flathead doesn't do the job, either. I will put my pretty little copper TOBH back in his little box, and save him for a later date.

There are an awful lot of little bitty 50w box mods hitting the market right now, and I'm considering picking one up just as soon as the newness wears off them and some solid reviews are available, so I know it won't go to waste forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread