Obligatory introductory thread o7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inly

Sep 26, 2016
UK
Hi there! I've been lurking here on-and-off for a while now, mostly because whenever I have a question I need to google about various vaping things the top result is either from here or /r/vaping. Signing up seemed like a logical step, I guess, especially since I've started to want to get into mixing my own juice (I recently upgraded from an eGo One to an iStick/Titan 2 combo and have been using 0.5 ohm coils rather than the 1.0 ohm I had in the eGo, and obviously this means liquid consumption has increased, I wanna offset that cost a little) and figured a place like this, with a community of experienced and inexperienced members alike, would be pretty helpful when I get around to that. Resources are helpful and all that crap, y'know?

This is the worst introductory thread ever. I have no idea what to say. I'm 24, live in the UK, and have been vaping for just over a year, now. I've sort of slowly graduated from crappy generic pen type, to eGo type, to what I have now (which I think is probably quite typical, really) and I bought my current tank based on the simple fact that it's incredibly pretty. Because I'm smart. Luckily it turned out to be excellent.

Sometimes I'm stupid, so if any of you experienced and seasoned veterans of the vape see me saying something that's completely flat out wrong, you have an open invitation to correct me. I promise not to get salty.

This is starting to get way too long to be an intro post. Three cheers for not knowing what to say so just talking a load of bollocks! See yous around, I guess :)

Inly

Sep 26, 2016
UK
Nothing wrong with that intro :) Welcome!!

Thanks! ^^
Welcome! No dumb questions here. Believe me as I have asked more than a few. ;)

Aye, as I say I tend to search out my own answers in google and forum/subreddit search bars myself because... well, I'm pretty sure folks get tired of seeing the same old questions asked over and over, but if I can't find a satisfactory answer there it's always better to ask I figure. Especially when it comes to electronics being used right up in your face! I'm under no illusion about the fact that the biggest risk in vaping is good old-fashioned user error and if it came right down to it I'd rather look a bit silly asking a question online than have a battery explode in my face, as I'm sure most would agree!

Reactions: Zen Knitter

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome.

It's nearly all over for us in the UK. If you don't have Nicotine base to see you through for a LONG time you may as well end it now... DIY is going to be 900% more expensive for the Nic base in 6 weeks from now.
Buying TPD liquid is not an option, unless you are either so wealthy money has no meaning and/or liquid at two or three times the prices of the already high-priced stores seems do-able.
The talk of £8-£10 for 10ml is not an exaggeration.

Zombie apocalypse survival kit is what we're talking.
Nic base... like enough to need a freezer...
Mods... some
Tanks... a few, preferably mostly rebuildable.

Are you ready? Good luck. :)

Inly

Sep 26, 2016
UK
Welcome.

It's nearly all over for us in the UK. If you don't have Nicotine base to see you through for a LONG time you may as well end it now... DIY is going to be 900% more expensive for the Nic base in 6 weeks from now.
Buying TPD liquid is not an option, unless you are either so wealthy money has no meaning and/or liquid at two or three times the prices of the already high-priced stores seems do-able.
The talk of £8-£10 for 10ml is not an exaggeration.

Zombie apocalypse survival kit is what we're talking.
Nic base... like enough to need a freezer...
Mods... some
Tanks... a few, preferably mostly rebuildable.

Are you ready? Good luck. :)
Wait, what's the source on this? I've not seen anything about changes to vaping legislation here since May, which was honestly all pretty minor stuff.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Wait, what's the source on this? I've not seen anything about changes to vaping legislation here since May, which was honestly all pretty minor stuff.

Well, time to get working...."pretty minor stuff" is what it felt like when it happened in May this year BUT giving 6 months grace period that takes us to November.
November is the date we all need to fear.

November (October, quite likely as things run out) is the last chance ever to stock up on large bottles of Nicotine base liquid.

Last edited:

Inly

Sep 26, 2016
UK
Well, time to get working...."pretty minor stuff" is what it felt like when it happened in May this year BUT giving 6 months grace period that take us to November.
November is the date we all need to fear.
But I'm asking for a source on this. The last thing I can find when I search regarding changes to vaping regulations is the TPD, which went into effect on the 20th of May. It doesn't say anything about any of this, and certainly nothing about November.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
But I'm asking for a source on this. The last thing I can find when I search regarding changes to vaping regulations is the TPD, which went into effect on the 20th of May. It doesn't say anything about any of this, and certainly nothing about November.

The source is the law, I guess.

E-cigarettes: regulations for consumer products - Detailed guidance - GOV.UK

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...igarette_transition_periods_for_producers.pdf

How you interpret it (with 100% clarity) is less easy.

Here are the important dates.

20 May 2016 – 19 November 2016
No change.

20 November 2016 – 19 May 2017
You may continue to sell products you already have in stock during this period.

When sourcing new supplies of any e-cigarette or refill container products, ask your supplier whether the product complies with the requirements of the TPD. If the answer is no, be aware that you may only sell the product until 19 May 2017.

On 20 May 2017
You will need to remove from sale any remaining stocks of products that do not comply with the TPD.

If we get lucky, there may be 30ml bottles of e-liquid and large bottles of Nicotine base liquid available until May 2017.
Nothing new (non-compliant) will be made after November 19th.

Inly

Sep 26, 2016
UK
The source is the law, I guess.

E-cigarettes: regulations for consumer products - Detailed guidance - GOV.UK

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...igarette_transition_periods_for_producers.pdf

How you interpret it (with 100% clarity) is less easy.

Here are the important dates.

20 May 2016 – 19 November 2016
No change.

20 November 2016 – 19 May 2017
You may continue to sell products you already have in stock during this period.

When sourcing new supplies of any e-cigarette or refill container products, ask your supplier whether the product complies with the requirements of the TPD. If the answer is no, be aware that you may only sell the product until 19 May 2017.

On 20 May 2017
You will need to remove from sale any remaining stocks of products that do not comply with the TPD.

If we get lucky, there may be 30ml bottles of e-liquid and large bottles of Nicotine base liquid available until May 2017.
Nothing new (non-compliant) will be made after November 19th.

So it IS the TPD you mean, then. Which is gonna have very little impact until next year, because nearly every supplier will have a backlog of stock, and the changes already in effect have done precisely nothing.

EDIT: As mentioned earlier, the TPD was brought in to appease the EU. We're leaving the EU as soon as Article 50 is invoked, which the Powers That Be have said will be early next year. We can't start crying doomsday until then, because it seems very convenient to me that the TPD's deadline is on or after the date we've been given as our Article 50 timeline.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
So it IS the TPD you mean, then. Which is gonna have very little impact until next year, because nearly every supplier will have a backlog of stock, and the changes already in effect have done precisely nothing.

EDIT: As mentioned earlier, the TPD was brought in to appease the EU. We're leaving the EU as soon as Article 50 is invoked, which the Powers That Be have said will be early next year. We can't start crying doomsday until then, because it seems very convenient to me that the TPD's deadline is on or after the date we've been given as our Article 50 timeline.

Yes, the TPD.

Since only you and I are reading this discussion, it makes little sense to prolong it.
However, I will make a few comments. You can decide if they have any relevance to your situation.

Implementing the TPD was not solely appeasement, it's seemingly how EU laws are passed. Those laws will not be reversed regardless of Brexit unless there is political will. There is no political will to unwind the basic principles of the TPD, mainly because it's mostly concerned with tobacco smoking and nobody is going to cherry pick a few vaping clauses and save them from the over-arching anti-smoking sentiment in politics.
The liquid I buy will not be available after November 2016. That is a clear to me, as it's made to order and making liquid that doesn't comply with the TPD will not be legal after November 19th.
If I want to make and vape these liquids, then I need to DIY.

Anyway. The point I am making is that if you plan to vape a while and DIY your liquids, now is the time to sort it all out. Maybe it'll all turn out to be a bad dream, but I don't feel that way.
Maybe your preferred vendor has 1,000s of bottles lined up for sale. Maybe you can buy 1 litre of 72mg on May 19th 2017... perhaps you will?

Personally, I'm not taking the chance. I have base for me, and all my nearest and dearest. The freezer door shuts in November whether I am six months early or not. Either way, the prices are only going one way and *if* the announcement about post-TPD liquid is true (£4.99 for 10ml of <20mg) then I am glad to have bought now, as that is indeed over 900% more expensive than now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread