One mans journey with the whole PG / VG thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I just thought I'd share this story in the hope that it might help any new vapers out there.

I began vaping using the Blu Starter Kit (not the pro kit, the ones that look like a standard cigarette size), vaping Blu's 18mg Menthol liquid (which in the UK is a 90% PG liquid). Things were fine at first but then I started to get real breathlessness. I read on line a little and came to the conclusion "I'm definitely allergic to PG". I then spent the next 2 months buying very expensive "VG only" liquids. To my surprise, most made the breathlessness worse. It must be the Nic I thought, so I tried varying my Nic level, but strangely some liquids with high Nic (like Intellicig VG Menthol, at 30mg) didn't cause quite so much breathlessness, and some lower nic product were worse.

In the end I realised that I am almost certainly not allergic to PG. Rather, that all e-liquids contain different manufacturers PG, VG, Nic, and flavourings. There are many variables (including how you vape) that can cause irritation when vaping.

As of now, 4 months in to becomming a vaper, I have now found - through a lot of experimentation, including making my own e-liquid! - a selection of e-liquids and flavours that are right for me; that cause no breathlessness or irritation. They are not all from the same manufacturer, and they're not all the same PG/VG blends!

For example, I am fine with Blue's NRG 18mg, Cherry 18mg, and Bluberry 18mg liquids, but their Menthol causes irritation. I am fine with Hoxton's Cool Menthol, but not their Berry Burst or Blueberry. Some VG only e-liquids are fine for me but others (like PureVape in the UK) cause terribler cloggage and congestion in my chest, and I can be coughing all through the night. I know some people have true PG allergies, but as a general point I don't think a 100% VG e-liquid is a good idea at all. The vapour is so thick, and you inhale so much more of it, that it stands to reason that it could clog up the bronchial tract and lungs. It may not be a serious condition to the health, but it's nontheless uncomfortable and unpleasant.

My all day vape at the moment is TABLites Triple Menthol, 11mg, which is a 90% PG e-liquid; and I have no breathlessness whatsoever with it.

So the lesson here is; if you have a bad vaping experience, don't do as I did and immediately jump to the conclusion that you're "allergic to PG". It may have been something in the flavouring, or the batch of nicotine base liquid that was used. Or even, perhaps (dare I say it) you were on the cusp of having a cold anyway, and just 'had a bad chest' (I fell for that one a few weeks ago!!).

Good luck in finding your perfect vapes!

PS..... Hardware matters too. After the Blu Start Kit, I went to a JAC Vapour Clearomizer and battery, a beautiful bit of (stainless steel) kit. However there was absolutely no resistance when I inhaled; so it felt nothing like a cigarette and I found myself inhaling a lot more. I then got the Blue Pro Kit (with the new Quadromizer), and wow, what a difference. This is my permanent hardware now. Great resistance and perfect airflow.

Last edited:

Maddie Kennedy

Apr 21, 2015
I've had many issues with levels of PG/VG and cheep flavanoids. In the town where I live we have two of what I call those "regional chain mix houses" who will blend it any way you like for a very low cost. I cant vape any of that stuff, in fact that junk sent me right back to the cigarettes. I personally have to vape high VG, very high quality organic or extract based stuff. My lungs will almost seize if its a cheep flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread