Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hi Terry!

The short answer is: it honestly boils down to personal preferences.

My "windy" answer is: These personal preferences can be influenced by any of the following:

PG (or VG) sensitivity. Some folks have a physical reaction to PG (and a smaller group; to VG), and therefore, try to reduce, or eliminate the offending carrier from their e-liquid.

Equipment compatibility. Depending on the type of equipment a person prefers to use, a more dominant PG, or VG, based e-liquid will perform better. Much of this has to do with viscosity (the thickness of the e-liquid). Dripping atomizers generally are less temperamental to the thickness of the e-liquid than tank atomizers. The type, and method of wicking, will have an impact as well.

Vapor production. Folks who like blowing huge clouds of vapor tend to like high VG ratios; as this is what contributes the most to those thick, dense, lingering, plumes of vapor. Folks wanting to be more discrete; tend to lean towards a higher PG ratio.

Throat hit. Some (though not all) folks find PG gives more of a throat hit (that scratchiness felt at the back of the throat when inhaling a vape) that they equate to burning tobacco. Others, either don't notice, or don't want such a sensation.

Flavor. This is another one that has many varied opinions. Some find that, the more PG they use, the more flavor they can taste. Others find that they can get just as good flavor at higher VG ratios, but it requires more aging ("steeping"), before the flavors fully emerge. Others still; don't notice much of a difference either way (high PG vs. high VG).

Temperature and/or power. I haven't read much discussion about how temperature relates to PG/VG ratios; other than cloud-chasers seem to prefer higher temperatures. Temperature tends to be influenced by device, build, airflow, and flavor. Change one, or more, and you may find the need to change temperature to get that "best" vape.

Terry Koontz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2017
Hi Terry!

The short answer is: it honestly boils down to personal preferences.

My "windy" answer is: These personal preferences can be influenced by any of the following:

PG (or VG) sensitivity. Some folks have a physical reaction to PG (and a smaller group; to VG), and therefore, try to reduce, or eliminate the offending carrier from their e-liquid.

Equipment compatibility. Depending on the type of equipment a person prefers to use, a more dominant PG, or VG, based e-liquid will perform better. Much of this has to do with viscosity (the thickness of the e-liquid). Dripping atomizers generally are less temperamental to the thickness of the e-liquid than tank atomizers. The type, and method of wicking, will have an impact as well.

Vapor production. Folks who like blowing huge clouds of vapor tend to like high VG ratios; as this is what contributes the most to those thick, dense, lingering, plumes of vapor. Folks wanting to be more discrete; tend to lean towards a higher PG ratio.

Throat hit. Some (though not all) folks find PG gives more of a throat hit (that scratchiness felt at the back of the throat when inhaling a vape) that they equate to burning tobacco. Others, either don't notice, or don't want such a sensation.

Flavor. This is another one that has many varied opinions. Some find that, the more PG they use, the more flavor they can taste. Others find that they can get just as good flavor at higher VG ratios, but it requires more aging ("steeping"), before the flavors fully emerge. Others still; don't notice much of a difference either way (high PG vs. high VG).

Temperature and/or power. I haven't read much discussion about how temperature relates to PG/VG ratios; other than cloud-chasers seem to prefer higher temperatures. Temperature tends to be influenced by device, build, airflow, and flavor. Change one, or more, and you may find the need to change temperature to get that "best" vape.
Thanks for the good info.
If I have the same mod and tank do I need to up the wattage for vg to get the same vape ?
Does that make sense ?

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks for the good info.
If I have the same mod and tank do I need to up the wattage for vg to get the same vape ?
Does that make sense ?
If you look at the chemical properties of PG and VG on Wiki:
Propylene Glycol (PG) Wiki
Vegetable Glycerine (VG)(called Glycerol on Wiki) Wiki

You will see that the boiling point of each is different. Indeed; the B.P. of VG is sinificantly higher:
VG
upload_2017-8-2_16-13-0.png

PG
upload_2017-8-2_16-14-15.png

So, it makes sense that it is going to take a higher temperature, to get a satisfactory vape. How much more, depends on the PG/VG ratio, and your personal preference (some like warmer vapes; while others like cooler vapes). Also, how that higher temp is going to affect the taste of the juice, will be a matter of personal perception.

I DIY all my own e-liquids, and I find almost every recipe requires a bit of a power tweak, to get the flavor where I like it the best. And not even that is consistent day to day.:rolleyes:

Upinsmoke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2017
Suffolk UK
If you look at the chemical properties of PG and VG on Wiki:
Propylene Glycol (PG) Wiki
Vegetable Glycerine (VG)(called Glycerol on Wiki) Wiki

You will see that the boiling point of each is different. Indeed; the B.P. of VG is sinificantly higher:
VG
View attachment 676305

PG
View attachment 676307

So, it makes sense that it is going to take a higher temperature, to get a satisfactory vape. How much more, depends on the PG/VG ratio, and your personal preference (some like warmer vapes; while others like cooler vapes). Also, how that higher temp is going to affect the taste of the juice, will be a matter of personal perception.

I DIY all my own e-liquids, and I find almost every recipe requires a bit of a power tweak, to get the flavor where I like it the best. And not even that is consistent day to day.:rolleyes:
Does it follow that as you vape the component parts of your juice will vaporize at different stages. Alcohol first water PG then VG.
As a chef I will cook with booze but will vaporize Off the alcohol to leave the flavour in the other liquid.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Does it follow that as you vape the component parts of your juice will vaporize at different stages. Alcohol first water PG then VG.
As a chef I will cook with booze but will vaporize Off the alcohol to leave the flavour in the other liquid.
I wouldn't think so. It seems like if that was the case the taste of the juice wouldn't be constant. From what I can tell the taste of my vape is consistent all the way thru the pull.
As for any other questions asked in this thread IDJoel seems to have covered them quite impressively. I love this forum for the wealth of information that can be gained from a casual stroll through its contents.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
One other factor is the newer temperature control (TC) option. Although I don't use it currently and vape at lower wattage with higher PG than many, I would recommend considering using TC if your preference is maximum VG. TC will keep you from going over temperatures that may create byproducts, approximately 450F, as you will likely run max VG liquids a little hotter than PG/VG blends. A bit of water is often added to VG to improve viscosity, much like PG does, and both will lower the boiling point of VG compared to max VG, helping keeps temps down.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I am not educated enough to give this the reply that it deserves. And, I should know better than try
45.gif
... but going to anyway.;)

I think (and this is some serious wild-
e01a.png
"guessing":rolleyes:) that it kinda-sorta-maybe(?) has something to do with the difference between "binding" and "blending." Binding is the atoms/molecules, combining and creating new/different molecules, and compounds, and/or sharing an electrical charge; which will react to a temperature in their own unique manner (vaporizing at their own temp.). Blending, on the other hand is only a co-mingling of molecules, and compounds, without new/different creations or bonds; and therefore should(?) react separately, and according to their own properties.

One example I (again) think demonstrates my hypothesis is the addition of water to an e-liquid. Both PG, and VG, are described as hydroscopic (meaning they have a characteristic of attracting, and retaining, water). I can add up to a certain volume of water, to my e-liquids, without any negative result (though such properties, as boiling point, and viscosity, of the overall "recipe," will change); but, when I exceed that threshold, I end up with a very unpleasant vape that gurgles and spits. This, as I think I understand it, is because the water is able to bond to the PG/VG molecules... to a point. Once the bond potential is maxed out, the remaining water molecules are left unattached. This in turn, allows these unattached (unbound) water molecules, to boil off at their normal, significantly lower temperatures, producing all that spitting, and popping, while the rest of the mix has not yet reached sufficient temperature to vaporize.

Now... whether there is one iota of fact in my supposition, and if/how much, that relates to combining PG and VG, is wide open to smarter people than me. Hopefully, some of our scientific contributors will come along, to correct all my errors, and give a better explanation.
13.gif

I get what you are saying about alcohol @Upinsmoke; DIYers will sometimes leave our fresh mixes uncapped, to allow the alcohol, in certain flavors, a chance to evaporate, and avoid the harshness it contributes. But it can't be universal; otherwise we (as vapers) would be boiling off all our PG (including PG-based flavorings) and leaving a bunch of (un, under-flavored) VG behind. I have never noticed anything suggesting such.
8.gif

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
One aspect of VG us that it produces a smoother, thicker vapor cloud regardless of the equipment being used.

That additional thickness and smoothness allows the new vaper to use a higher nicotine level, which can aid in the transition from combustible tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread