Status
Not open for further replies.

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
No scripts, one stylesheet only and no third party content except for Google Analytics.

Try using Ad Block in Firefox!

Between the default list (https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist.txt) and a couple of additions, there are no social media thingies to worry about.

I will say, though, that since this thread I've been paying more attention and yeah... at certain times it slows down to a crawl.

Here's what I use (some will cause lost functionality that you might use):
Code:
e-cigarette-forum.com##DIV > .socialheader

||yui.yahooapis.com/^$domain=e-cigarette-forum.com

||apis.google.com^$domain=e-cigarette-forum.com

||platform.twitter.com^$domain=e-cigarette-forum.com

||googleapis.com^$domain=e-cigarette-forum.com

||translate.google.com^$domain=e-cigarette-forum.com

||www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clientscript/vbulletin_ajax_taglist.js*

||e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clientscript/vbulletin_facebook.js?*

Here's what I don't use:

Code:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clientscript/yui/*
(this kills the advanced editor functions which can otherwise be disabled)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/vbseo/*
(this kills a lot of stuff I really don't use, but also kills the "Like" function)

Finally, you can even use:
Code:
||e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clientscript/*
(kills almost [U]everything [/U] - the forum will be rudimentary, but a much fastetr)

Last edited:

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Most of us don't understand any of that and don't want to have to install different browsers to get pages to load at a decent speed. I've use Chrome and IE and they both are slow on ECF but not on other sites. We shouldn't have to tweak out modems, PCs or browsers to view ECF.

Edit: I might add that I didn't have this problem a few months ago so I really don't think the problem is at my end.

SilverBear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
Most of us don't understand any of that and don't want to have to install different browsers to get pages to load at a decent speed. I've use Chrome and IE and they both are slow on ECF but not on other sites. We shouldn't have to tweak out modems, PCs or browsers to view ECF.

Edit: I might add that I didn't have this problem a few months ago so I really don't think the problem is at my end.

Thank you so very much for your entire post.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers

Could I please point out that this is not the point of this thread or indeed any of the advice we have given.

1. An ECF page will load in about 8 or 9 seconds (for the main page content - the ancillary materials may take longer).

2. If ECF pages take longer than this to load, then the problem is ALWAYS at the user's end.

3. We give some advice to solve the user's problems.

We hope the advice helps but please don't blame us if there is a problem unconnected with the ECF site. Unfortunately there are several reasons why you might see more problems with the ECF site than others, and therefore you only experience an issue here. Nevertheless the problem is not here.

In order to provide the best possible resource, ECF has certain issues that don't exist anywhere else: 5 million pages, 1,500 people online sometimes, 50 different scripts running, 100 different usergroups, 100 different forum extensions, 100 different advert conditionals, and so on. We can't remove any of that as it wouldn't be ECF any more. What this means is that the site is extremely complex and some browsers, or PCs, or browser/PC combinations will have problems if not updated or set up optimally.

Our advice is designed to help you locate the issue: if it is on your network or on your PC. It's just an unfortunate fact that ECF won't work perfectly unless your software is working correctly. We can't go back to the old web page system now, people expect too much.

It would be a lot easier for us if we could just go back to the old, fast 'flat' pages of ordinary websites in the old days. Unfortunately that is not possible as people expect too much now. The pages on ECF do not actually exist anywhere - they are each built especially for you, as a result of asking your browser various questions and then asking the database to build a special page for you. For the reasons listed above - the immense complexity of this site due in the main to the complex interaction between community and commercial interests, and which does not exist on many other sites (if any) - the site needs up-to-date software to view it, for best results.

Well, I guess you could say the problem is at our end: the immensely complex site. But we can help you to get the best results from it, if you are having issues. There isn't much we can do about the site, unfortunately, so we need to help you find what the problem is and see if we can assist you to fix it.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
There is nothing wrong with our hosting services, it's one of the best for our purposes.

If we are talking pageload speed here, a flat HTML page load time is the best guide to the network speed. Otherwise, the speed is dragged down by:-

(a) the efficiency of the host's systems
(b) the efficiency of the dynamic site - how fast the server apps work together to interrogate the database and build the pages
(c) the number of plugins - more plugins = a slower site
(d) the number of plugins that depend on external services - like social media ones
(e) how good things are at your end

To test the basic network & site speed, go to the Contacts page - the button is on the top and bottom navbar on every forum page. It's not quite a straight HTML page as it's within the forum but it should load in under 2 seconds (if it was in the webroot and with a direct path it should load in under half a second). Another useful test is Clone Tab, a right-click command in Opera: it asks the server for the same page without needing much in the way of DB queries, and is a good test of basic dynamic page serving speed - an ECF page will load in about 4 seconds.

The site is slow because it's a heavily extended forum with millions of pages and dozens of heavyweight plugins. On top of that, the social media plugins depend on external services and probably double or treble the page loading time. We can't speed the site up by using cloud servers or content delivery networks because every page is different according to who you are and what you have just done - each page is built specially for you, on demand. A large, extended forum is the slowest site on the web.

To improve site speed for your location, these are the steps I'd look at:

1. Replace your ISP's DNS servers in your router
This is a bit tricky the first time you do it but easy thereafter (you'll need to know your router's network address and its login). It is done because you may be using an internet route that is suboptimal due to ISP issues. You have to get into your router's management with your browser and change some of the set-up. If you want to know how to do this, please open a new thread such as, "How can I change my DNS server IPs ?".

Use OpenDNS IPS or any other you prefer, here are some example IPS:
Computer Security Guide
- right down at the bottom of the page.
Or google for 'free dns servers'.

2. Don't use Internet Explorer
It's just nasty, nasty, nasty. Use Firefox, Opera, Chrome (or one of the Chrome versions without Google's spyware), Safari, etc.

3. Update your browser
Go to the Help (or Tools) menu at top right of your browser's main menu, and find Update.

4. Update your PC's java install
I advise using the JavaRa process instead of directly via Sun Java because the JavaRa method is more secure: it removes old Java versions and the installer. Go here:
JavaRa

5. Use Firefox plus script blocker plugins
If after all this you still have a pageload time of over 8 seconds, use Firefox with script blockers: plugins like Noscript and AdBlock that stop page elements loading that are not part of the core content.

However there is a point of diminishing returns with Firefox because like any other PC or server webapp, loading it up with plugins slows it to a crawl. This is so noticeable that Firefox users, tempted by the huge variety of plugins, can bring it to its knees. Firefox loaded with tools can be very useful though, so if you have two PCs it may help to have a skinny one loaded on one computer and a workhorse on the other.

No page should take longer than about 8 or 9 seconds to load the core content. If it does then the problem is at your end, not here. Fix the issues above and with a standard home internet connection, you'll get down to 8 seconds or faster. If despite the above fixes you can't get this sort of result, your internet connection is the issue. People on the other side of the world can load ECF pages in 8 seconds. As a basic check, time the Contacts page - anything over about 1.5 to 2 seconds indicates a problem at your end, maybe network or PC related. If the Contacts page loads in under 2 seconds but other ECF pages take over 10 seconds to load the central content of the page (other stuff may take longer), then you have a browser or PC issue - your browser can't handle scripts properly. Update it or get another browser.

Note: the above timings may not apply at peak times since the site will be heavily loaded (lunchtime and mid-evenings East Coast).

Could I please point out that this is not the point of this thread or indeed any of the advice we have given.

1. An ECF page will load in about 8 or 9 seconds (for the main page content - the ancillary materials may take longer).

2. If ECF pages take longer than this to load, then the problem is ALWAYS at the user's end.

3. We give some advice to solve the user's problems.

We hope the advice helps but please don't blame us if there is a problem unconnected with the ECF site. Unfortunately there are several reasons why you might see more problems with the ECF site than others, and therefore you only experience an issue here. Nevertheless the problem is not here.

In order to provide the best possible resource, ECF has certain issues that don't exist anywhere else: 5 million pages, 1,500 people online sometimes, 50 different scripts running, 100 different usergroups, 100 different forum extensions, 100 different advert conditionals, and so on. We can't remove any of that as it wouldn't be ECF any more. What this means is that the site is extremely complex and some browsers, or PCs, or browser/PC combinations will have problems if not updated or set up optimally.

Our advice is designed to help you locate the issue: if it is on your network or on your PC. It's just an unfortunate fact that ECF won't work perfectly unless your software is working correctly. We can't go back to the old web page system now, people expect too much.

It would be a lot easier for us if we could just go back to the old, fast 'flat' pages of ordinary websites in the old days. Unfortunately that is not possible as people expect too much now. The pages on ECF do not actually exist anywhere - they are each built especially for you, as a result of asking your browser various questions and then asking the database to build a special page for you. For the reasons listed above - the immense complexity of this site due in the main to the complex interaction between community and commercial interests, and which does not exist on many other sites (if any) - the site needs up-to-date software to view it, for best results.

Well, I guess you could say the problem is at our end: the immensely complex site. But we can help you to get the best results from it, if you are having issues. There isn't much we can do about the site, unfortunately, so we need to help you find what the problem is and see if we can assist you to fix it.

How can you say "Could I please point out that this is not the point of this thread or indeed any of the advice we have given."? It is exactly what everybody is complaining about and the suggestions that you've said to do. My Chrome browser is up to date and yesterday I updated my javascript. No effect on performance. I don't have a clue as to how to Replace your ISP's DNS servers in your router and I'm not sure I want to do this because I don't know what effect that will have on other sites and I could screw up my modem so I can't even connect. Come to think of it, I don't even have a router, just a DSL modem.

If the forum is clogged up with what you say"5 million pages, 1,500 people online sometimes, 50 different scripts running, 100 different usergroups, 100 different forum extensions, 100 different advert conditionals, and so on. We can't remove any of that as it wouldn't be ECF any more. then it sounds to me that we a stuck with these slow loading pages and this is going to cause you to lose members and those members are going to go somewhere else and say why they left ECF. Not good advertising. My suggestions: Get rid of old Lounge and Outside posts. I doubt anybody reads those post from 2010. Videos take a long time to load. Those videos could be linked to the source instead. Some threads have over 200,000 posts. If you get rid of those old out dated posts or archive them, get rid of in post videos wouldn't that help speed up load times? That IS what we are talking about here.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
My Chrome browser is up to date and yesterday I updated my javascript. No effect on performance.
I don't have a clue as to how to Replace your ISP's DNS servers in your router and I'm not sure I want to do this because I don't know what effect that will have on other sites and I could screw up my modem so I can't even connect. Come to think of it, I don't even have a router, just a DSL modem.

Whatever help you need to fix it, we will try to assist with. Firstly I don't know what the issue is exactly, please help me here. How long does the Contacts page and a regular post page take to load, please? By that, I mean how long does the main body of the page take to appear. This will tell me if you need to change your DNS IPs to a better system or not.

If the forum is clogged up with what you say"5 million pages, 1,500 people online sometimes, 50 different scripts running, 100 different usergroups, 100 different forum extensions, 100 different advert conditionals, and so on. We can't remove any of that as it wouldn't be ECF any more. then it sounds to me that we a stuck with these slow loading pages and this is going to cause you to lose members and those members are going to go somewhere else and say why they left ECF. Not good advertising. My suggestions: Get rid of old Lounge and Outside posts. I doubt anybody reads those post from 2010. Videos take a long time to load. Those videos could be linked to the source instead. Some threads have over 200,000 posts. If you get rid of those old out dated posts or archive them, get rid of in post videos wouldn't that help speed up load times? That IS what we are talking about here.

Good points. The old posts are now archived and locked. Videos are mostly linked to YouTube or other sources as far as I know. Large page numbers aren't really the core of the issue, it is the number of queries and amount of processing needed to build each personalised page.

We are now going to spend some money investigating sources of speed improvements and I think it may be possible to get one or two seconds off the pageload times (but not more). If you are in the US and your pages take more than around 8 or 9 seconds to load then the problem is not at our end, but I will try to help you pin down what is needed to fix it.

You have to work with me on this because it isn't possible to go to a faster solution here, we'd have to get rid of the forum to do that. An 8-second load time is acceptable but anything longer isn't.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
If the problem was the site, wouldn't everyone be experiencing the same issue? I never have an issue, not like most of you describe. Occasionally it will slow for me briefly but the pages still will load in less than 10 seconds, otherwise all my pages load in less than 5 seconds. This is whether I am home or at work. So if it's the site, why am I not experiencing the same occurrences?

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
If the problem was the site, wouldn't everyone be experiencing the same issue? I never have an issue, not like most of you describe. Occasionally it will slow for me briefly but the pages still will load in less than 10 seconds, otherwise all my pages load in less than 5 seconds. This is whether I am home or at work. So if it's the site, why am I not experiencing the same occurrences?

joker, that has been some of my experience! i really believe there is a bottleneck on one of the servers. i have a lousy connection but there were plenty of times when i sailed through ''snails'' but others with better connections and browsers (as per roly;)) timed out.
i really think people who run into problems end up with a server not acting right.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Whatever help you need to fix it, we will try to assist with. Firstly I don't know what the issue is exactly, please help me here. How long does the Contacts page and a regular post page take to load, please? By that, I mean how long does the main body of the page take to appear. This will tell me if you need to change your DNS IPs to a better system or not.

Good points. The old posts are now archived and locked. Videos are mostly linked to YouTube or other sources as far as I know. Large page numbers aren't really the core of the issue, it is the number of queries and amount of processing needed to build each personalised page.

We are now going to spend some money investigating sources of speed improvements and I think it may be possible to get one or two seconds off the pageload times (but not more). If you are in the US and your pages take more than around 8 or 9 seconds to load then the problem is not at our end, but I will try to help you pin down what is needed to fix it.

You have to work with me on this because it isn't possible to go to a faster solution here, we'd have to get rid of the forum to do that. An 8-second load time is acceptable but anything longer isn't.

The contact page loads instantly. I tested 3 high traffic threads and got 7,8 & 9 seconds to load. I normally visits these threads later in the evening when there is more traffic on the forum and pages load much slower than these times. I assume that is because more people are off work in the evenings.

I have to disagree with you when you say that most YouTube vids are linked. There are probably thousands that open in a post and those pages take the longest to load.

I still see post from back to 5/10/2010 in active threads.

I would appreciate any help you can give that isn't beyond my technical skills.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011

I wish I could answer that J0ker but I can't. I only know what's happening on my PC and it started about the time ECF started doing major upgrades. I find 10 secs for a page to load way to long and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a page to load in 5 seconds. Later in the evening pages time out. I have enough time to go pee, get a fresh beer and refill a tank before the page loads. Well....maybe not all 3 but you get my drift. ;) I get that damn Chrome "Wait" page all the time in the evenings.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
I wish I could answer that J0ker but I can't. I only know what's happening on my PC and it started about the time ECF started doing major upgrades. I find 10 secs for a page to load way to long and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a page to load in 5 seconds. Later in the evening pages time out. I have enough time to go pee, get a fresh beer and refill a tank before the page loads. Well....maybe not all 3 but you get my drift. ;) I get that damn Chrome "Wait" page all the time in the evenings.

I really don't know. I haven't had lag problems in a really long time. When it does take a little longer, it's normally due to the traffic on the site but like I said, never over 10 seconds and that's just every once in a while. Maybe you should spray WD-40 on your network cables :D Just kidding, that would definitely slow it down!

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
OK, a quick update. We are looking into things because we do want all members to load pages in a reasonable time.

I will take a look at our analytics to see if there are any patterns of delays. Please do remember what Roly said upthread - this site is a forum and, as such, is incredibly demanding on server resources. It's really not fair to compare ECF with other websites, unless they are dedicated forums and have the same numbers of people online.

Furthermore, we've decided to upgrade our servers to the next level and also do some on-site optimizations (hence the disruptions you may have seen this evening). Not sure what the eta is on the server upgrade, but we'll keep you posted.

If you are getting consistent problems loading ECF pages, please will you check the contacts page to see how quickly that page loads - it's a good benchmark to see whether the problem is on our end or on yours.

SJ

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
OK, a quick update. We are looking into things because we do want all members to load pages in a reasonable time.

I will take a look at our analytics to see if there are any patterns of delays. Please do remember what Roly said upthread - this site is a forum and, as such, is incredibly demanding on server resources. It's really not fair to compare ECF with other websites, unless they are dedicated forums and have the same numbers of people online.

Furthermore, we've decided to upgrade our servers to the next level and also do some on-site optimizations (hence the disruptions you may have seen this evening). Not sure what the eta is on the server upgrade, but we'll keep you posted.

If you are getting consistent problems loading ECF pages, please will you check the contacts page to see how quickly that page loads - it's a good benchmark to see whether the problem is on our end or on yours.

SJ
Thanks SJ! Must be slow on my end because the contacts page fired right up. I'm going to have to figure out what the problem is........Loading any other pages here takes forever!

:)Wiz!

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Thanks SJ! Must be slow on my end because the contacts page fired right up. I'm going to have to figure out what the problem is........Loading any other pages here takes forever!

:)Wiz!

No Wiz, that indicates that the delay is coming from our end. That is to say, the contacts page fires up because there's no demand on the server, save for loading a static page. If there was a delay, we could say that there was likely an issue between you and the server.

So, I've taken a look at the analytics, and it's a slightly mixed picture. Mixed, that is, because all I can get is an overall page speed, with no segmentation by the time of day. Obviously that would be useful, because we could then estimate the exact effect of traffic on the page load time.

Anyway, what I have found is this....Take a look at the attached image. page speed.jpg You'll see that ~94% of pages are served under 9 seconds with a median of approx 3.5 secs.

What's causing the problem for the other 5% could be an issue between the server and the client machine, or it could be happening at periods of exceptional high load. I then took a look at the page load times for the front page, which I then segmented by (US) region. I've sorted the results by page-sample number, as it's not really possible to draw conclusions for results where there are very low samples. In the end, there's not much data to go on, although it's fair to say that there is considerable variation according to location (presumably due to the quality of ISPs). See the following image for the data: speed test 2.jpg

Anyway, not sure what conclusions to make from this, except to say that it's a useful benchmark for the upgrades.

One more thing to note is that Japanese visitors, on the whole, have the best page-load time available, beating the US by nearly one second on average. Presumably because they have better infrastructure (on the whole) and are visiting at times of low load.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread