Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
One of my favorite drippers is the Plume Veil and since I didn't have the cojones to try this out on the original I got myself a clone and got to work

The center post is two pieces with an additional two insulators. It's quite tiny and complicated so drilling it out through the center was pretty much out the question so I decided to feed through the sides of the insulators. Now these things are real tiny so drilling them was also not an option so I decided to file then on their sides.

this is the expanded view (deconstructed) of the center post

Plume Veil conversion

Now I know what you're thinking by looking at this picture. Why not just drill out the stainless steel part of the pin from the thread side and then just drill out the gold plated bottom connector and hey presto. Well the top SS part of the pin is small where the threads are and in fact it would need to be drilled out with like a 0.7mm micro drill bit. The other thing is that part of the pin is stainless steel and such a small bit going through solid SS spells trouble. I've had small drill bits easily brake on me and it ain't fun getting part of the drill bit stuck in there.

So I decided to file the insulators on both sides so I create to channels for juice to come up and supply each side of the deck.

Plume Veil conversion

The stainless steel top part of the center post had a flange around the bottom of it to keep tension against the insulator so I had to grind some of it off inline with the channels each side with a dremel wheel to allow juice to flow freely to the deck

Plume Veil conversion

Finally I also grind-ed the gold plated bottom contact each side to allow juice to flow up the channels

Plume Veil conversion

The final result actually worked out real good, it feeds and even drains like a charm

Here is a short video of the squonking action

Plume Veil squonking action

Last edited:

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Wish i could brother but it took about 45-50min of fiddling to get this done (ok perhaps it's just me and my two left hands)

Here is a side by side with my number one favorite the Odin. Doesn't look too shabby on the Grand

Untitled

PS don't know why that drip tip on the Odin came out so dark it's not, must be the light

Oldmerc

Aug 28, 2014
uk
One of my favorite drippers is the Plume Veil and since I didn't have the cohunes to try this out on the original I got myself a clone and got to work

The center post is two pieces with an additional two insulators. It's quite tiny and complicated so drilling it out through the center was pretty much out the question so I decided to feed through the sides of the insulators. Now these things are real tiny so drilling them was also not an option so I decided to file then on their sides.

this is the expanded view (deconstructed) of the center post

Plume Veil conversion

Now I know what you're thinking by looking at this picture. Why not just drill out the stainless steel part of the pin from the thread side and then just drill out the gold plated bottom connector and hey presto. Well the top SS part of the pin is small where the threads are and in fact it would need to be drilled out with like a 0.7mm micro drill bit. The other thing is that part of the pin is stainless steel and such a small bit going through solid SS spells trouble. I've had small drill bits easily brake on me and it ain't fun getting part of the drill bit stuck in there.

So I decided to file the insulators on both sides so I create to channels for juice to come up and supply each side of the deck.

Plume Veil conversion

The stainless steel top part of the center post had a flange around the bottom of it to keep tension against the insulator so I had to grind some of it off inline with the channels each side with a dremel wheel to allow juice to flow freely to the deck

Plume Veil conversion

Finally I also grind-ed the gold plated bottom contact each side to allow juice to flow up the channels

Plume Veil conversion

The final result actually worked out real good, it feeds and even drains like a charm

Here is a short video of the squonking action

Plume Veil squonking action

Thanks for an excellent post..just the sort of info I need to get me started.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
congrats.jpg

Nice write up and pics... thanks for sharing.

freedogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Erie,Pa
Trunker...I got a PlumeVeil from Chowderhead that he bottom feed modded and haven't had a leaking problem. Drippers that use the top feed PV and over drip have leaking out of the negative post airflow holes. Us bottom feeders, when we over squonk, our juice goes back in the bottle. The PV is a really good atty.

Chowderhead has a couple left and also has the CLT which in my opinion is the cloud maker of the bunch. I compared 4 diff mods on his thread, Catfish Atyy Mods.

PirateHooligan86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Florida
Woot, got mine up and running. My first bottom feed RDA retrofit, thank you for all the help and info. It turned out great and vapes fantastically! :)

Was leaking pretty badly at first though for me. I had to put an O-Ring between the RDA and REO, which seemed to stop it for now. I also have to keep the side-post airflow holes closed or it leaks through there as well, but I tend to over-squonk, ha ha. Works great after that initial learning curve though. Thanks again! :)

WP_20140917_10_01_54_Pro.jpg

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Nice job. I have a question: i saw a guy with a Plume a week ago, but it was as a dripper on a tube and the general consensus seems to be that it's a cloud-maker, but prone to leaking.

I'd welcome your thoughts.

T

It sure can be because it has 3 different places where air comes in (and liquid can potentially come out), the side air, the bottom of the deck air and the top of the top cap air. The major issue are the two deck air intakes which are at the bottom of the two negative posts. If you have the deck airholes open and over drip or over squonk you're in wetville before you know it. It's certainly a dripper with a steep learning curve but it does produce good flavor.
I still maintain that the Odin is far better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread