Problem with Vaporesso cCell Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
I've had bad luck with these coils: NI200, kanthal, and SS... I've let them soak for half an hour, primed them like "normal" coils, to no avail. They all taste horrible. I bought the NI200 coils back when you had to import them from China (beginning of this year, maybe?), and bought the SS/kanthal coils from 2 different vendors recently (VaporDNA and MyVaporStore). Has the market been flooded with bad c-cell coils? Are they fake?

The c-cell coil that came with my target tank was amazing, but all my replacements have either not worked at all (NI200 coil that came with the target) or instantly started burning (they seem not to be wicking the juice well at all). I've been mainly using higher-VG juices, but I know these coils work well with just about anything.

I have the same experience after buying packs of TC and non TC cCells. Terrible and I find it incredibly ironic that they actually advertise no dry hits.

berger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
Carvahall
They wont work correctly in TC mode...the ceramic is heat sinking off from the coil so even thought the coil reaches temp (and corresponding resistance) it shuts down early because the heat is dissipated so fast...In short TC wont work right...but these coils work fine in straight wattage mode just like kanthal so its not a loss..its ceramic anyway so it wont burn unless you go nutz and dry burn for a long time and burn the surrounding cotton on the outside of the ceramic..then its toast
Ive always found them to require priming and repeated false draws to get them wicking right...and then they taste a little funny for an hour or two...by the next day they are broken in and work and taste spectacular..it just isnt instantaneous...different animal then cotton heads
oh..and about 30 watts is the upper limit

Last edited:
Reactions: redrebel821

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
I have been using the Kanthal cCells now for quite awhile and have had zero issues.

You do need to let them sit for a few minutes after filling because the ceramic is very porous. Most importantly, you have to break them in by starting out low in wattage and moving up slowly. I start at around 15w and move up in 5w increments. My sweet spot is 26W with these. I use them with my Cuboid and Melo 2 or Atlantis 2. I love the amount of flavor and vapor that I get.

I also have had great results dry burning to clean once the flavor starts tasting off or like the coil may be gunked. I get months out of each coil.

Good luck.

ETA- I have purchased from different sources and they seem to be consistent to me.

I recently started using the ccells & target tank. I did prime the coil with a couple of drops, some false draws, 5 min in and 15W to start (with 1W increases up to 20W in the first 24 hours). This worked well with the kanthal coil. After 4 tanks I started getting less flavor and a bit of bad taste( I use 60vg40pg sweet cherry liquid)
I then removed the tank and tried a dry burn. Small short pulses until no vapor/smoke and reprimed. The coil is burnt. Can't flush the flavor out. I think I think I might have burnt the cotton sleeve. My question is- How do you dry burn the coil without burning the sleeve?

Reactions: salemgold

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
There is a video in this thread about dry burning the ceramic that may help you visualize how the ccell is being cleaned. Granted, the one in the video does not have the thin cotton piece on the outside. I have not had an issue burning the thin cotton piece as I pulse the coil not letting the ceramic get hot enough to burn that thin outer layer of cotton though. The video is in his first post here.

Ceramic Coils and Cores Available!!!

Better yet, I just found this video showing a dry burn of the cCell. I will add that it takes more than a few drops to prime. I fully saturate (even flood) my coil when priming. The ceramic is very porous. I start at 15W and move up very slowly from there to break it in. Great video on cleaning here.

Last edited:

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
There is a video in this thread about dry burning the ceramic that may help you visualize how the ccell is being cleaned. Granted, the one in the video does not have the thin cotton piece on the outside. I have not had an issue burning the thin cotton piece as I pulse the coil not letting the ceramic get hot enough to burn that thin outer layer of cotton though. The video is in his first post here.

Ceramic Coils and Cores Available!!!

Better yet, I just found this video showing a dry burn of the cCell. I will add that it takes more than a few drops to prime. I fully saturate (even flood) my coil when priming. The ceramic is very porous. I start at 15W and move up very slowly from there to break it in. Great video on cleaning here.

This technique almost directly matches the technique I used to try to clean mine. I didn't rinse it between glows though. Maybe this is the trick although it sounds like you didn't rinse either. My only other thought is that I didn't pulse enough- thus not fully cleaning my coil. I didn't dry burn at 35 watts either. I dry burned around 20W. I will try to dry burn again at 35W before tossing it...and will post my results. If it doesn't work- I will pull the coil apart and see if the cotton sleeve was burnt at all.
Also- I want to note that I have had some very minor leakage from the air feed. It's not an issue for me because I'm using the UD Balrog box (which has a cotton juice ring that catches any leakage) I'm just not certain why it is happening now as opposed to prior to the dry burn.

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
Could not get it cleaned via dry burn. Pulled it apart and the cotton sleeve was burned. It's impossible to clean that. The manufacturer recommends not dry burning....for this reason perhaps.
If people are interested in dry burning ceramic to clean- ceravape's Cerebus uses coils that have no cotton whatsoever. The down side is that ceramic can over draw liquid. This will cause flooding and leaking. That's why the ccell has cotton(it stops drawing fluid once it's filled) It does have a shut off feature which sounds good. Unfortunately- I have heard that opening and closing that feature sort of acts like a juice pump. It causes leaking if overused.
I haven't bought one yet, but think I may. Ill try to follow up.

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
Hi!
I bought 2 packs of these Vaporesso ceramic coils (one pack, kanthal, the other one, Ni200).
I installed the kanthal one in my Atlantis tank and the Ni200 in the Triton. I let them sit for about an hour and both coils are giving me a horrible burnt taste.
I mean, is the same taste you get from a dry hit.
Im rockin´the kanthal coil over a Snow Wolf at 24 watts and the Ni200 coil over a Cuboid, in Ni Temp Mode at 440 F°.
Most reviewers say one minute to prime them up and you are good to go, so, is something wrong with these coils or they need more time to absorbe the liquid?
I always prime my coils with a couple of drops, and I did the same thing with these, but still, burnt cotton taste.
Am I doing something wrong or this is something that happens with these Vaporesso coils?

My first set of coils no problem, but on the second set they burnt. I primed them and let them set for a long time still burnt. In a Atlantis tank. Now these were on a Wismec mod. Here id the weird thing. I took the tank off the Wismec and put it on the pioneer 4 you mod and it worked. I have no idea why this made a difference.

I have another problem though. I cannot get the Vaporesso cCell to thread onto a Triton 2 that it is suppose to fit. It looks to be the same size as the triton coil but it will not fit???

Robfisher

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2014
Durban, South Africa
www.ecigssa.co.za
The new 0.6Ω cCells are just about perfect! Wicks beautifully and yet to get a dry hit... probably the best vape around today!
0.6cCellSS 001.JPG

Reactions: gigetto

Robfisher

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2014
Durban, South Africa
www.ecigssa.co.za
I searched here in Italy but no online shop got it at now ... all old batch with hexagonal flood holes and red rings ... today I trashed the last of 25 CCells in total , and all of them was 0.9 Kanthal ... probably my fav shop got a complete failure batch of them ...

Some of the early batches of cCells were nothing short of useless... the ones with the big juice holes (0.6Ω SS) are very scarce and I have never seen them on the Vaporesso website... but the new 0.6Ω SS with the normal Hex shaped juice holes are just fine... as are the new batch of 0.9Ω Kanthal cCells.

CRSteve

Jun 16, 2016
I noticed just after I dropped my mod/tank, the coil starting flooding and nothing I did changed that. I think when I dropped the mod, the ceramic cracked. The leaking got so bad, took the coil out and tore it apart. I found a significant amount of cotton and very little ceramic. I also noticed a tiny burnt flavor towards the end and sure enough, the top of the cotton was burnt just a bit. Starting to think the Aspire Triton Clapton coils are going to be my top choice for stocking up. They seem to rival the taste and duration of the CCells but much more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread