Provari P3, really want to like it...I really do...but.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soully

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
Cerritos, CA
So I picked up my P3 on launch, and not counting the wait for the nautilus with the p3 threading (and the confusing communication link where aspire's customer service said there would be no such thing), I've loved it.

Until this moment.

You see, I saw the update had came out for the firmware, and I'm definitely having my batteries die alot faster than I'd expect. I rotate between 5 18650s and while I do chain vape, at 5-5.2 Volts I should not be eating through a battery to a battery and a half every day (I have the previous gen provari and these SAME batteries last a day and a half without hesitation). So I made an attempt to call my local provari supplier. What was I greeted with? "Oh, you can just do that online" and "You will have to go to their website" and on and on and on, not one shop even seemed to grasp that this product is capable of firmware updates.

I decided to contact provari on this, curious as to how to get my update. The response I was met with was worrisome to me: "You will have to send your provari to us and pay for shipping to and from our shop, but we'll do the update for you!" This is very sad as they call it a free update, but now I must pay to get the update, and be without my device for several days. Sure, it could be cut down to say, 5 days total if I pay for expedited shipping both ways, but how much will it cost, not to mention about how safe do you feel shipping your 200ish dollar device without insuring it to make sure it arrives? Or signature confirmation to verify the same? On top of that, at a quick glance on the forum I saw a post where someone has a nearby shop to them that does the update...and they said it's free....if you make a purchase of 20 dollars or more.

I love my provari, the style, the customization, all of it, I think they are wonderful...but toting "free firmware updates!" and falling hard on this promise does make my waver in my wish to remain loyal. I only own provari products...but if this doesn't change soon I'm probably going to seek out a different company and different device.

/endrant

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Did you know that there are 5 or more update centers at B&M's in the Greater Los Angeles area plus the potential for quite a few additional ProVari retailers in the area to decide to offer this service?

ProVape Store Locator

Some may charge a small fee -- but if they don't it would be prudent to at least buy something from the store for the convenience of having the service within about 20 miles of your home.

Or, just don't get the update, it's not a requirement and I've heard nothing to indicate it's necessary. You can wait and get it done if you ever need to send it in for repair....but you will have to pay shipping.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
The update fixes an issue with saying there's no power in the battery when there still is, and that's all I care about for the update. I'm in washington state (near tacoma) so not a single shop nearby

Time to update your location: Cerritos, CA.

This may be one of the most popular upgrades ProVape has done on the P3 as most of the changes/upgrades were made while the device was in Beta -- so some of your more local vendors may decide to offer the service in the future, perhaps near future.

I would hope you could realize that being able to get an upgrade is an excellent feature, a rare feature in mods....as is the repair service. Like Maytag, it may not be needed much with ProVape Products, but it is sure nice to have the opportunity to use if needed.

Last edited:

Soully

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
Cerritos, CA
Status update???

Is your unit under 1 year old? Warranty repair!

That was simple!

Jim

It is under the 1 year, but still doesn't change their answer about it. And they just closed my support ticket last night. I had to switch back to another device. My old p2 averages 3 days on one 18650 battery... I can't even get one full day out of the p3.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
It is under the 1 year, but still doesn't change their answer about it. And they just closed my support ticket last night. I had to switch back to another device. My old p2 averages 3 days on one 18650 battery... I can't even get one full day out of the p3.
If its under 1 year, it is covered by their warranty.

They will fix it for free.

You just asked the wrong question.

Open another ticket, based on its being broken.

Different results will occur.

Jim

Soully

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
Cerritos, CA
If its under 1 year, it is covered by their warranty.

They will fix it for free.

You just asked the wrong question.

Open another ticket, based on its being broken.

Different results will occur.

Jim

You were correct. My ticket closed so I reopened one stating the absolute lack of battery life. Prepaid usps has been sent.

While I was grateful for this, I feel this should have been the first step, not the "let's reword the problem and put in the ticket for the exact same issue to get the result that should have been done the first time".

They also said it may be my batteries fault o_O That was odd to be honest. I have 5 AW IMR 18650s I run and rotate (I've numbered them so they all maintain the same usage). And all five gave the same results (barely a day of use in the P3, and my P2 (that I finally got the ZAP cleaned so it could be used again) gets about 2-3 days out of at the same voltage), apparently they'll be sending me a samsung 18650 as well, they say they are much more efficient due to lower internal resistance or some such. Will see when it arrives.

Reactions: AstroTurf

Soully

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
Cerritos, CA
Any update? Because with the V36 or whatever the latest version is, My P3 still says empty when the batteries are at 3.6-3.8. Whether is the 18650's(AW, Sammy's 25r, LG HE2, LG HE4) or 18350(AW, Efest).
None as of yet, got an update yesterday that it's in the queue, waiting for the repair/update and for it to be sent back

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Joure
I used to love Provape but it seems they're quite content with being extremely user unfriendly as far as updates go. That's why I'm done with them. With my SX Mini M Class updating is a breeze. Download the update from the Yihi website, connect device to USB port on PC, start SXi software, click connect, locate firmware upgrade and click "upgrade firmware." The whole procedure takes 2 minutes. If Provape ever wants to see me return as a customer, they have to match that level of ease of updating. Anything else is not acceptable.

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
Just curious if you're using the same tank/ resistance when comparing your p3 to the 2.5? I know the p3 allows for lower ohms which would decrease your battery life. I get why rewording your issue seems annoying but you first asked for an update then stated its under warranty and broken. How you present the issue makes a big difference in how you get results with anyone about anything in life.

TFL!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Chatfield, MN, USA
I used to love Provape but it seems they're quite content with being extremely user unfriendly as far as updates go. That's why I'm done with them. With my SX Mini M Class updating is a breeze. Download the update from the Yihi website, connect device to USB port on PC, start SXi software, click connect, locate firmware upgrade and click "upgrade firmware." The whole procedure takes 2 minutes. If Provape ever wants to see me return as a customer, they have to match that level of ease of updating. Anything else is not acceptable.
I am sure they are going to miss you.

Soully

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
Cerritos, CA
I watched the video on this, several reviews, it's on my watch list, but for now I want to hold off, the battery life on it seems the same as was the p3 before sending off, if it doesn't improve with the update I'll probably think harder on it.

Until then, I just ordered a coil master (my God where has this been all my life), so going to try a different setup with my zap, I have a bunch of Japanese cotton so I want to give it a whirl as opposed to the stainless steel. More out of curiosity than anything,and the coil master is going g to make that so much easier, bless those people smarter than me for making these things.

Last edited:

Soully

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
Cerritos, CA
Just curious if you're using the same tank/ resistance when comparing your p3 to the 2.5? I know the p3 allows for lower ohms which would decrease your battery life. I get why rewording your issue seems annoying but you first asked for an update then stated its under warranty and broken. How you present the issue makes a big difference in how you get results with anyone about anything in life.
Very good question and my apologies for not having mentioned that. Yes, I've actually had to bite down and deal with my OCD and I put my ZAP on the P3 (it has the NASTIEST gap due to how long the ZAPs 510 connector is (or how short the P3s is? Unsure to be honest which that is) ), the life span is significantly shorter on the P3. I decided to test it with the zap as my other tank is a nautilus with p3 threading, so couldn't test it on the 2.5. My original hope and theory was that some kind of black magic on the nautilus was causing the battery to just stop holding a charge. But as I stated, I could take a battery out of the p3, put it into the 2.5, and still have a solid few hours of vaping (at the same voltage).

I also thought "huh, maybe it's because I'm in VW and that's why", so I did try this test again on VV, same thing happened, as soon as it was in my 2.5 (at the same voltage of course) that battery still had miles left on it.

At this point I'm still waiting to hear back, if I haven't heard anything by monday night I'm asking for some kind of status update, otherwise I'll be concerned with how backed up there repair support is (I realize it's only a handful of people, but to be -that- backed up? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread