Status
Not open for further replies.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
Greetings Frick...

Evidently these issues around the Provari are something that you (and myself) find very interesting. Out of curiosity, do you know what the purpose of the current limiter is? Also, do you know what the current limit is for the smaller Provape-1 model?

I post this link too often, but I believe you'll find some relevant information at the bottom of the page here: http://www.provape.com/v/faq.htm

The circuitry draws considerably more current from the battery than would be indicated by the amperage at the coil. It seems we're already pushing the limits of the battery at 2.5 amps, which is why high-drain IMRs are recommended.

I've also read that most boost circuits are limited to 2 amps, and it's uncommon for them to run over 2.5.

I don't know the current limit for the Provape-1, and a quick google search didn't help.

sobero4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I never use unprotected ion Li-ion batteries in my Provaris, but my AW IMRs have never given me trouble and seemingly outperform the Provari Powers (which was a big waste of money IMO). IMRs are supposedly safer chemistry, and it has been my experience that this statement is infact true (being that they have no protection circuit and have given me no issues after using them pretty much exclusively for just over 1 year).

Sicarius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
NZ
The circuitry draws considerably more current from the battery than would be indicated by the amperage at the coil. It seems we're already pushing the limits of the battery at 2.5 amps, which is why high-drain IMRs are recommended.

Great link. I can see why AMR's are the weapon of choice now.

Because the ProVari converter is a pulsing device, the pulsed battery current can be a factor of 2 higher than the average current.

The battery needs to supply pulsed currents of over 8 amps. These engineering calculations show why you need a high quality, Low Internal resistance battery to supply what the ProVari converter needs.

Sicarius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
NZ
Has anyone thought about using the ProVari to do basic battery testing (off load Cb / on load Cb / Ao)

Only thing I can think of is delta V to calculate battery resistance, but my electronics is a bit rusty.

e.g. Off load voltage is 4.1V / On load voltage is 3.8V with a resistance of 2.6 ohms

Can it be done or do I need to vape some more and forget about it.

Slurp812

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
Northwest Ohio
Has anyone thought about using the ProVari to do basic battery testing (off load Cb / on load Cb / Ao)

Only thing I can think of is delta V to calculate battery resistance, but my electronics is a bit rusty.

e.g. Off load voltage is 4.1V / On load voltage is 3.8V with a resistance of 2.6 ohms

Can it be done or do I need to vape some more and forget about it.

The docs say not to run it without a load (atty/carto) but in this case, we would also need the voltage the thing is set to when running the Cb check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread