Status
Not open for further replies.

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
I just wondered if any of you had experienced a similar problem to this;

I've noticed a few times recently that when the battery dies in my provari (light flashing quickly and not vaping) and i put it in my charger the voltage level the provari shows is very different from what the charger shows. I had kind of noticed this a couple of times before, but hadnt monitored it closely, but checked the battery level on the provari once the light started to flash yesterday and it was reading 3.0 (i actually thought the provari cut off point was 3.2).

Anyway, when i put the battery on the charger it was reading 3.7 (the charger is an xtar VP1). It took about 2.5hours on the slowest charging rate to reach 4.20, and when i put it in the provari it was reading 3.9 (I dont put the battery in the provari to vape straight after charging, i wait at least 2 hours, but wanted to check the charge level straight away).

The battery is an 18490 AW IMR and they tend to last me about 3/4 a day, although i know that means nothing without knowing how much i vape, how long puffs are, etc but speaking generally i vape between 3 - 5ml a day using carto tanks between 1.5 - 1.8ohms at about 10W. I'm fine with the battery lasting that long and seems fairly normal to me, but did wonder about the differences between the displayed voltages. Unfortunately, i dont have another device or charger on which to test it so thought i'd ask if any of you guys or gals had experienced anything similar.

I think i remember Eddard saying he had an XTAR VP1, so having more than one provari to test batts on may have noticed this too?

Thanks in advance :)

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
The ProVari checks both the remaining battery voltage, and resistance under load... :)

http://www.provape.com/v/images/ProVariManual.pdf

It’s normal for your atomizer to activate at a very low voltage while in battery check mode. This allows the ProVari to check the voltage.

It’s normal for your atomizer to activate at a very low voltage while in Ohms mode. This allows the ProVari to check the resistance.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
You have to keep in mind that battery voltage is a somewhat dynamic thing. You hit the fire button, your Provari starts flashing, and it was delivering power. It may have started flashing at 3.2 volts, but the drain the device just put on the battery dropped it below 3.2 volts in the process. Meter it and you now have 3.0 volts. If you had metered it again without firing it it would rise back up again, most likely above 3.2 volts after resting for a few minutes.

When you charge a battery, 4.2 volts is the cutoff point at which the the charge cycle stops. That doesn't mean the battery can hold that voltage at rest. If you had left the battery in the VP1 for an hour or so once the charge cycle completed, chances are you would have seen the display show the battery voltage "rolling back" at rest - same as what the Provari reported when you checked the voltage there. The older the battery the faster and more pronounced that voltage roll back is after charging.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread