Status
Not open for further replies.

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
Well, no matter how much VG I put into carto, there's always 10 drops of 36mg/ml nicotine per carto. And I vape it all. Then three same cartos more and a day finishes.

And so on..

View attachment 135520
i understand that there will still be 10 drops of 36mg nic. i was just letting you know that since your mixing it with vg or even pg with no nic, you are diluting it down so your actually getting less nic then you think. had you been putting 36mg juice only with nothing else mixed in then yes you would be vaping 36mg/ml.

when i mix my own juice i use a 48mg nic base in a pg, now i mix that with 0mg pg and vg to make a batch that is any where from 16-24mg nic 80%pg20%vg. which is the range i use for my vaping needs. higher nic in the morning lower nic from the after noon on. best way to think of it is having a beverage with ice in it. now as that ice melts you still do have your starting amount of said beverage but the water that the ice gives off spreads the concentration of that beverage out as it mixes together. which the end result would be a diluted watered down beverage. the same thing happens when you mix different nic levels you are left with a lower diluted level as your end result.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
It would actually be 36/5 not 36/4. (10 drops of 36 mg/ml in 50 drops total.) So you are,in effect, vaping 7.2 mg/ml (assuming your drops are of equal volume). From what I've read we absorb much less than we did when smoking (at least according to the few cotinine studies I've looked at that compare smoking to vaping.

It doesn't seem that out of line to me. Your nicotine would be comparable to someone vaping 3 ml if 24 mg/ml in a day.

Chriskarr

Verified Member
Sep 13, 2012
Oregon, U.S.A
I personally wouldn't be concerned unless it was inhibiting me from performing my daily functions and making me feel sick. Other than that, however, I would do what my body told me and try to ramp down so that I'm not taking in quite as much. Yesterday was particularly stressful (I lost my one spare KGO battery while canoeing) and I used 2mL of 24mg/mL. *Mmm...Blueberry pie...*

So, your ratio is 4:1, inert ingredients:36mg/mL fluid.

That brings down your nicotine level to 7.2mg/mL as has been stated. So one load is equal to 2.5mL of 7.2mg fluid, which is 18mg of nicotine. Since this is so dilute, I imagine it's imbibed over a period of ~3-4 hours with very regular puffs. The nicotine in your system stops having its severe short-term hypertension effects on your heart after ~20 minutes from ingestion, and you're only taking in 18mg in 3+ hours, totaling 2mg in 20 minutes which is far less than (in mice) the LD50 of 0.5-15mg/kg depending on administration method (from intravenous to dermal).

Hakuna Matata.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
This has been studied at Boston University and you absorb ALL of the nicotine when you vape.
Does this study say that you absorb all the nicotine?
Or does it say that you exhale almost no nicotine?

I would assume it is the latter, not the former.

Studies that measure cotinine level of vapers indicate we aren't absorbing anywhere near that much.
I think the most likely answer is that much of the nicotine is being destroyed by the heat at the coil.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

Herdo

Sep 8, 2012
Arizona
i understand that there will still be 10 drops of 36mg nic. i was just letting you know that since your mixing it with vg or even pg with no nic, you are diluting it down so your actually getting less nic then you think. had you been putting 36mg juice only with nothing else mixed in then yes you would be vaping 36mg/ml.

when i mix my own juice i use a 48mg nic base in a pg, now i mix that with 0mg pg and vg to make a batch that is any where from 16-24mg nic 80%pg20%vg. which is the range i use for my vaping needs. higher nic in the morning lower nic from the after noon on. best way to think of it is having a beverage with ice in it. now as that ice melts you still do have your starting amount of said beverage but the water that the ice gives off spreads the concentration of that beverage out as it mixes together. which the end result would be a diluted watered down beverage. the same thing happens when you mix different nic levels you are left with a lower diluted level as your end result.

To everyone here arguing over how much nicotine he uses daily, you are all right.

If he was vaping 2ml of his "solution" a day (4 parts VG 0 nic, 1 part 36mg nic), yes he would only be getting 14.4mg of nicotine a day (36/5 = 7.2, 7.2*2= 14.4). That is not not what he saying though. He is saying he uses 2 full ml of 36mg nicotine a day. In reality he is vaping a lot more than 2ml a day, something more like 8-10. So yes, he is getting 72mg of nicotine a day.

It's exactly like he said. Regardless of how many ml of juice he is vaping a day (probably somewhere around 8-10ml), at least 2 of those milliliters are 36mg nic juice. So he is still getting 72mg of nicotine a day. He isn't saying he only vapes 2ml a day.

Last edited:

bineva17

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2012
Hanoi
To everyone here arguing over how much nicotine he uses daily, you are all right.

If he was vaping 2ml of his "solution" a day (4 parts VG 0 nic, 1 part 36mg nic), yes he would only be getting 14.4mg of nicotine a day (36/5 = 7.2, 7.2*2= 14.4). That is not not what he saying though. He is saying he uses 2 full ml of 36mg nicotine a day. In reality he is vaping a lot more than 2ml a day, something more like 8-10. So yes, he is getting 72mg of nicotine a day.

It's exactly like he said. Regardless of how many ml of juice he is vaping a day (probably somewhere around 8-10ml), at least 2 of those milliliters are 36mg nic juice. So he is still getting 72mg of nicotine a day. He isn't saying he only vapes 2ml a day.

Yes I do vape 2ml 36mg nicotine juice mix with > 8ml VG daily (to make TH smooth 'cause I feel it a little too strong if I vape 36mg juice directly), sometimes 9-10ml VG depend on my mood, and I'm a chain vapor. That means I vape about 10ml daily, and I still think no matter VG I pour in, I still have 2ml 36mg nicotine a day...

I use more VG in the morning because of the sensitive sence when I wake up.

DC2: Your "The nicotine absorption contradiction" thread seems to be very helpful to me.

bineva17

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2012
Hanoi
I personally wouldn't be concerned unless it was inhibiting me from performing my daily functions and making me feel sick. Other than that, however, I would do what my body told me and try to ramp down so that I'm not taking in quite as much. Yesterday was particularly stressful (I lost my one spare KGO battery while canoeing) and I used 2mL of 24mg/mL. *Mmm...Blueberry pie...*

So, your ratio is 4:1, inert ingredients:36mg/mL fluid.

That brings down your nicotine level to 7.2mg/mL as has been stated. So one load is equal to 2.5mL of 7.2mg fluid, which is 18mg of nicotine. Since this is so dilute, I imagine it's imbibed over a period of ~3-4 hours with very regular puffs. The nicotine in your system stops having its severe short-term hypertension effects on your heart after ~20 minutes from ingestion, and you're only taking in 18mg in 3+ hours, totaling 2mg in 20 minutes which is far less than (in mice) the LD50 of 0.5-15mg/kg depending on administration method (from intravenous to dermal).

Hakuna Matata.

Thank you Hakuna Matata, this smart explaination makes me feel I'm closer to the safe boat!

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
No, you do not absorb anywhere near all of the nicotine in eliquid.

Reference the etter study late last year, roly started a thread on it: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...9-e-cigarettes-deliver-nicotine-jf-etter.html

The letter is at: http://www.stop-tabac.ch/fra/images...p_tabac/e-cig cotinine final erj 20110111.pdf

Experienced vapers, 18 mg/ml eliquid, "and participants used five refills or cartridges per day" (human terms, likely 4 - 5 ml/day), had measured cotinine levels on par with smokers, not multiple times higher (which should have been the case if we were absorbing/metabolizing all of the nicotine).

The 322 ng/ml cotinine level median equates to someone who smokes around 20 - 25 cigs/day, based on a prior Etter writeup from 2000, "Saliva Cotinine Levels in Smokers and Nonsmokers".

My takeaway is that an experienced person is absorbing/metabolizing somewhere around 20 - 25% of the nicotine in eliquid.

(In cigs, the nicotine referenced is nominal absorbed nicotine, for instance a pack of cigs rated 20 mg, or 1 mg/cig, means that you are supposedly absorbing about 1 mg/cig. In eliquids the nicotine is starting, source, nicotine.)

So vaping 2 ml of 36 mg/ml per day (cut, but that's the nic part) = 72 mg/day starting value. 20% of that is about 14 - 15 mg/day. That would be somewhere in the zone of 3/4 pack of regular cigs, roughly speaking. If you're at the 25% absorption level, it would be a shade under a pack equivalent. If you're really new, still learning vaping, your absoption might be a bit lower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread