Question about mech mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebulaskin

Dec 6, 2016
hi!
Im really interested on buying a mechanical mod and I already read a couple of guides about them.
What I didn't understood is:
With a mech mod with a 18650battery, can I put a simple Aspire nautilus as a tank on it? I'm not interested in sub-ohm vaping, but I like the aesthetics of the mech mods!
So is it possibile to keep all the things simple just by putting a normal aspire nautilus as a tank? Will it's 1.6 coils work without problems?
Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for my crap English :)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
You can, and it will work. However, keep in mind that most mechanical mod users also build their own coils, at various resistances to suit their desired vape. Because with mechanicals, you don't have any output adjustability in the mod itself to compensate for your coil resistance. You get the output of the battery, and that's it. If you use any sort of premade or drop in coils, you may like the result, you may not.
I only use mechanicals. I don't even own a regulated mod. But, I own a variety of attys, and build coils at various resistances and configurations to suit each set up.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you want to use a mech with an 18650 battery and a Nautilus with a 1.8 ohm coil, you're fixed at ~7.5W. Which is fine if that's your sweet spot for the tank/coil setup. The obvious advantage with as regulated mod would be if a bit more power in the 10-12W range was your sweet spot. As @Rule62 pointed out, most folks build their own coils with a resistance that satisfies their vape preference. But if you're happy with the vape, there's no reason to not use it.

WhiskeyTango

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2015
Michigan
Like everyone above said, you can use it with no issues. My only concern would be that once in a great while, factory coils are shorted from the factory and if you were to install a new coil and put it right on to the mechanical mod, you would have a battery vent in your hand. If you are going to use premade coils with a mech, I would suggest you test them on a regulated mod before putting them on the mech.

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
Like everyone above said, you can use it with no issues. My only concern would be that once in a great while, factory coils are shorted from the factory and if you were to install a new coil and put it right on to the mechanical mod, you would have a battery vent in your hand. If you are going to use premade coils with a mech, I would suggest you test them on a regulated mod before putting them on the mech.
This...

...and don't use it on a hybrid style mech.
And this.

nebulaskin

Dec 6, 2016
...and don't use it on a hybrid style mech.
What's an example of hybrid mod? How do o recognize them? Nvm found it myself

Thanks a lot for the answers.. I know that I will have much more possibilities by building myself the coils with a proper tank but even if o read a lot of guides o still didn't understand how it works and by using a mech mods I don't want to risk my face :'D

So with a 18650 with a 1.8 ohm coil I would stay at 7.5w.. how did u calculate that?

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
What's an example of hybrid mod? How do o recognize them?

Thanks a lot for the answers.. I know that I will have much more possibilities by building myself the coils with a proper tank but even if o read a lot of guides o still didn't understand how it works and by using a mech mods I don't want to risk my face :'D

So with a 18650 with a 1.8 ohm coil I would stay at 7.5w.. how did u calculate that?

A hybrid mech is one without a 510 connector. The tank makes direct contact with the battery. They usually come with their own, dedicated tank.

The wattage is calculated using Ohms law. You can find all sorts of useful calculators here Steam Engine main page

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
IMG_20161206_092633_706.JPG
Hybrid/direct to battery contact. The top cap on the mod doesn't have an adjustable center pin.

IMG_20161206_092659_242.JPG

The tank/RDA must have a protruding contact like this, to keep from shorting out.
IMG_20161206_092717_577.JPG

Ready to go on my time keeper.

Keep in mind I've been using mech mods for almost 3 years :)

Last edited:

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Have a Kanger sub tank mini on a mech mod with a 1.5 ohm coil in it as I type. Advantage of it over the nautilus is that it comes with a build deck. Works great, coils in that range seem to last months and a life time supply of wicking can be had for about what one pack of disposable coils cost. Ten life times if you use rayon / cellucotton instead of real organic cotton.

Just remember the reverse is not true as you can not use a sub ohm coil on a twist or spinner style battery. Even a 1 ohm will over heat the connection and burn the little rubber seal that keeps stray juice out of your battery. Don't ask how I know this:rolleyes:

See a bunch of replies came in while I was eating lunch... If you do not have a regulated mod to test coils on a simple little ohms tester can be had for about $10.

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
What's an example of hybrid mod? How do o recognize them?

I'm going to assume puffon meant a direct to battery connection with the hybrid style reference.
Direct to battery connection is pinless where your atomizer connects to the mod and the atomizers positive pin directly contacts the positive top of the battery.
Therefore, your atomizer would need a sturdy protruding positive pin so the negative threads on the atomizer don't make contact with the battery and cause a short.

To figure out amp draw on the battery
voltage÷resistance= amps
Than to figure out the wattage
Voltage×Amps=Wattage

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I would never use a tank with a factory coil on a mech, but to each their own. I DO use a Subtank Mini with a RBA, but I am very careful.

Make sure the positive pin sticks out a MM or so on the bottom of the tank and as mentioned, test the tank/coil on a regulated device before using.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I do not recommend using prebuilt coil heads with mechanicals.

That said,
Please stop calling direct to battery mods "hybrids".
They are not even close to the same thing.
Using incorrect terminology causes confusion and in this case, a real danger to a user.

Direct to battery mods do not have center pins in the top cap and require atomizers with protruding positive contacts to be used safely.

Hybrids do not have 510 THREADS.
They have dedicated atomizers that attach to the body of the mod.
You cant attach the wrong atty to a hybrid.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
The battery outputs up to 4.2v at full charge, down to around 3.7 or so when you will need to recharge it. Watts = Volts * Volts / Ohms so with the fixed resistance of your atomizer it is easy to calculate the wattage range you'll be operating in. On a 1.6Ω coil between 3.7-4.2v, you're getting between 8.5-11 watts out of it, depending on charge state. So if you have a regulated device, you can set it to somewhere in that range, and see what it would be like on a mechanical.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I consider a mechanical mod to be a "VR" device instead of a VW or VV device. With all mods we need the ability to adjust them for individual taste. With a mechanical we simply adjust the resistance instead of the voltage or wattage.

In the beginning fixed voltage devices were all we had, there was no such thing as VV or VW. And, no one had even thought of temp control. So there is a lot of knowledge about mechanicals out there if you choose to look for it. So take your time and learn about battery safety, atomizer safety, and care & maintenance of mechanical mods. Above all remember that YOU are the safety feature of a mechanical mod, there are no electronic ckts. to do it for you.

I've been using mechanicals almost exclusively for about 6 years now,so it can be done safely & responsibly.

Rule62

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    I do not recommend using prebuilt coil heads with mechanicals.

That said,
    Please stop calling direct to battery mods "hybrids".
    They are not even close to the same thing.
    Using incorrect terminology causes confusion and in this case, a real danger to a user.

Direct to battery mods do not have center pins in the top cap and require atomizers with protruding positive contacts to be used safely.

Hybrids do not have 510 THREADS.
    They have dedicated atomizers that attach to the body of the mod.
    You cant attach the wrong atty to a hybrid.

I'm not one for mandatory regulation; but if there's one vaping product I wish was never created, and wish the industry would voluntarily stop offering, it would be direct to battery 510 top caps, or 'faux hybrids', as some have called them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread