Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I use one every day.
Brass AV Optic clone with a brass Kennedy 24 clone on top.
But I know exactly what I am doing, and I am not a careless man.
These are "advanced user" items.
Most sites have that as a warning.
If someone isnt sure exactly what that means, its obviously not for them.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    While I do like the simplicity and reliability of a mech, I do not enjoy the changing vape as the battery drains. With the low draw of a Nauti 1.8 ohm coil I guess it probably wouldn't be apparent for at least a day or so (I only vaped ~2 ml a day back when I used them).

With quality batteries that is not a problem. The battery "platoughs" at 3-7-3.6v. There is only the initial drop from knocking the top off the charge, and then the voltage drops off a cliff when it's time to recharge.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    With quality batteries that is not a problem. The battery "platoughs" at 3-7-3.6v. There is only the initial drop from knocking the top off the charge, and then the voltage drops off a cliff when it's time to recharge.

True, but for me it seems like by the end of the day it's just not as enjoyable. And I'm not talking super low builds, even with a 0.5 ohm coil it will be noticeable, at least to me. As always, there's no right or wrong, only what works best for you. Within the envelope of safety.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
    Dec 6, 2016
    Personally for me mech mods are garbage, unsafe, inconsistent. The guy asking about it should not even consider buying it.... yet. I dont like the flavor drop off and certainly do not want to be carrying around a battery case with me and having to change batteries out. I like the ability to change wattage based on flavor of the tank not having to change my resistance of my coils. I already have my perfect coil build for my taste as it is. My $0.02 clearly this is my opinion of them, while i could use them safely and obey ohms law, i will not ever use one. dual 18650 regulated mod vw/tc is how i roll.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    Personally for me mech mods are garbage, unsafe, inconsistent. The guy asking about it should not even consider buying it.... yet. I dont like the flavor drop off and certainly do not want to be carrying around a battery case with me and having to change batteries out. I like the ability to change wattage based on flavor of the tank not having to change my resistance of my coils. I already have my perfect coil build for my taste as it is. My $0.02 clearly this is my opinion of them, while i could use them safely and obey ohms law, i will not ever use one. dual 18650 regulated mod vw/tc is how i roll.

Lol.
    I really agree mechs arent for you.
    I have over 100 mechanical mods and about 30 regulated devices ( and about 30lbs of attys).
    I use a mech because I took the time to educate myself.
    I trust myself with safety over a chip and few weak wires soldered by a blind man.
    Some people need a net, i get that.
    I dont knock regualted devices.
    But some dont.
    A mech is a flashlight with a coil instead of a bulb. Primitive electronics.
    Its not mystery science.
    Know your gear.

smacksy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2014
    Alexandria, Louisiana USA
    a3228bcc0e2574383e43358010474b8a.jpg

I had my XXIX mech vaping well with the Atlantis tank after I modified the pin to be long enough to use on a hybrid top cap..pic is about 2 yrs old...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kprthevapr

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
    Dec 6, 2016
    Lol.
    I really agree mechs arent for you.
    I have over 100 mechanical mods and about 30 regulated devices ( and about 30lbs of attys).
    I use a mech because I took the time to educate myself.
    I trust myself with safety over a chip and few weak wires soldered by a blind man.
    Some people need a net, i get that.
    I dont knock regualted devices.
    But some dont.
    A mech is a flashlight with a coil instead of a bulb. Primitive electronics.
    Its not mystery science.
    Know your gear.
    As i already said i know how mechs work inside and out, it isnt that i cannot do it, i am more than capable. I have flavor preferences battery life expectancy as number 1 concerns. Safety is not really a huge concern as when you keep your amp draw within operational limits of your battery there should be absolutely nothing to fear. Like i said i dont like the flavor when batteries die in mech mods. I prefer dual 18650 for consistent flavor from start to finish, i dont even come close to using all the available amp of the device or batteries. But with regards to this guy who clearly doesnt know what he is doing wht mech mods, it is why i said YET he should not use them yet, he clearly needs to educate himself further. I spent about 70 hours researching mech mods when i first started vaping, as i am ocd i did the same research for everything from proper nicotine handling for my diy to proper battery care what types of batteries, flavorings, and so on. Knowledge is power but i see no reason to have a mechanical mod for me personally. As stated it is my opinion. Hell obeying ohm's law isnt even the entire battle with battery safety when it comes to mechanical either, not going under voltage is important as well. Congrats you like mechanicals, that is your opinion.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
    Dec 6, 2016
    What can be considered "safe" as a coil on a mech mod? I'm I correct assuming that the higher the ohm, the safest the mod is?
    Also, if I would like to build a coil myself with the proper tank and by following a couple of guides, what kind of cable and which diameter do you suggest to stay around 0,7 and 1.2 ohm?
    28-30 would likely do you good depending on if you are going dual coil or single, what atty etc. Know your batteries amperage limits and try to never go close to maxing it out and you'll be safe, a lot of manufacturers overrate their amps some are spot on but know your batteries well also. always test your build on a meter as well so you can be sure of safety on a mech mod.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 1, 2015
    On the River, GA
    What can be considered "safe" as a coil on a mech mod? I'm I correct assuming that the higher the ohm, the safest the mod is?
    Also, if I would like to build a coil myself with the proper tank and by following a couple of guides, what kind of cable and which diameter do you suggest to stay around 0,7 and 1.2 ohm?
    Depending on the tank/rda, I would suggest 28g kanthal and a coil jig. Most jigs come with at least 4 size bits to build on.
    I use a 2.5mm bit and 26g kanthal to build my derringer, 4 wraps comes out at .32, I use it on a time keeper mod.

IMG_20161207_103022_176.JPG

You can experiment with the number of wraps to get the right resistance.

Attachments

• IMG_20161207_103022_176.JPG
      IMG_20161207_103022_176.JPG
      240.8 KB · Views: 17

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    As i already said i know how mechs work inside and out, it isnt that i cannot do it, i am more than capable. I have flavor preferences battery life expectancy as number 1 concerns. Safety is not really a huge concern as when you keep your amp draw within operational limits of your battery there should be absolutely nothing to fear. Like i said i dont like the flavor when batteries die in mech mods. I prefer dual 18650 for consistent flavor from start to finish, i dont even come close to using all the available amp of the device or batteries. But with regards to this guy who clearly doesnt know what he is doing wht mech mods, it is why i said YET he should not use them yet, he clearly needs to educate himself further. I spent about 70 hours researching mech mods when i first started vaping, as i am ocd i did the same research for everything from proper nicotine handling for my diy to proper battery care what types of batteries, flavorings, and so on. Knowledge is power but i see no reason to have a mechanical mod for me personally. As stated it is my opinion. Hell obeying ohm's law isnt even the entire battle with battery safety when it comes to mechanical either, not going under voltage is important as well. Congrats you like mechanicals, that is your opinion.

You specifically said that " for you, mechs are "unsafe" and "garbage".

What I cannot comment on is the "unsafe for you" part as only you know your own limitations, but mechs in gerneral are obviously not "garbage".

nebulaskin

Dec 6, 2016
    Thanks a lot for the replies.
    Btw I already did quite a lot of research on liquids, watched a lot of videos about coil building and read the maintenance/safety measures for the batteries. The only thing I really have troubles understanding is the ohm law and the various "electronics" valors such as amperage, volts, current drain of the battery.
    Do someone know a place where i can learn a bit of this argument?

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
    Dec 6, 2016
    You specifically said that " for you, mechs are "unsafe" and "garbage".

What I cannot comment on is the "unsafe for you" part as only you know your own limitations, but mechs in gerneral are obviously not "garbage".
    Generally speaking because of how many people are not educated, it is my opinion of them and others who use them without understanding them. The garbage comment is because of their overall performance start to finish top to bottom and flexibility. Again just my opinion as a whole. It isnt that i am unable to use them but that the general public is largely not properly educated prior to purchasing these mods. Could i use a mech mod safely? Absolutely, but there is zero reason for me to use one, they do not fulfill my needs. Personal opinion on them is that they are sub par to what i desire out of a mod.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread