Question for Battery Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

yosephmetal

Dec 29, 2012
austin
dc99 is right on that, 'most' only update the device. And if they do charge the batteries the charger isnt the best. People have different opinions on how often to charge them. The main thing is not to keep trying to hot your mod once its dead that is a sure fire way to kill your batteries fast! I swap mine out at about 25% and my charger the Nitecore D4 Charger has a 'slow charge mode' this lowers the amps it pushes into the battery, increasing the cycle counts you get out of it. And the less ware put on the battery making the battery preform better throughout the day. At least in my experience.

If you do get this and want to do the 'slow charging mode' you have to set it every time. Thats the one thing I dislike. And that is why I have the 4bay they have a 2bay as well but depending on how fast you kill your batteries...

I will also say that it is also only as good as the batteries as you put into it so if your going to get a good charger get good batteries as well...

I have these and have been happy with them
18650 LG 18650HE4 2500mAh High Discharge Flat Top
18650 Samsung 3000mAh INR18650-30Q High Discharge Flat Top
18650 Samsung 2600mAh ICR18650-26F Flat Top
Illumn.com - Flashlights, Batteries, Carry Gear, Intelligent LED Lighting, and More!

sorry for the long winded response.

Reactions: bzlytbeer
Most MODs are just starting to balance charge so the newer ones really are ok with usb and may take more amps charging than your charger. The chargers that show you what is going on are really good. Careful of the USB cord you use if you use that way; some are more equal than others. I use a charger but I'm going to see on the USB thing with my Sigeli.

bzlytbeer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Monee, IL (near Chicago)
Like Tom said above, a lot of the newer mods have built in balance chargers, which is the best way to charge your batteries, however, not all balance chargers are the same. I run RC trucks, and there are some chargers out there that are simply junk, and do not work well, leaving you with unbalanced cells, which can create issues - the worst of all, if one of the cells drops too low, it can be catostrophic, resulting in an unusable battery, or worst case, a fire or explosion. Personally, I would invest in a good charger and charge your batteries outside of your device, however, some do not allow for that as they use a sealed internal battery. I have mods that have both, and they are what they are. I have no real love for one over the other, but if you can balance charge your cells, that would be the better route to go. Keep in mind also that external tube-style batts (ie. 18650s) are single celled, so unless you are charging more than one at a time, there is no need to balance charge them. Cables can be a factor as well. Always try to use a good quality USB or charging cable as this will also reduce issues.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
So i understand that most TC mods have batteries either included or sold separately. I also understand that most of which have usb ports. The ones that have usb ports, are you supposed to buy the real 18650 batteries and real charger for them? Also how often should you change the 18650's?

I made be hearing a false assumption here that all mods with a USB port come with removable/replaceable 18650 batteries - but they don't. Look at the mod specs for what you are buying - there are several that have TC - that also have an internal non removable/replaceable battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread