Questions about mah and voltage with Joye eGo/eGo-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemmings

Jan 10, 2011
VA
I did a search for this, but didn't see anything. I try not to be a redundant poster. :p

Disclaimer: I am an electronics idiot.

I have eGo and eGo-T batteries. I have a 650mah (I still don't know what THAT means) :laugh: and a 1000mah battery. What does mah mean?

Second question (if you don't wanna smack me yet) is how can I find out the volts? I am ordering liquid from Vaperite (Todd and his liquid are awesome so far!) and on the page it says that Organic Juices are best used from 3.5-5v. 6v kills the flavor. <--what does that mean?

Is there something I can read about this, or can someone stupid it down for me? Hahaha. Thanks :laugh:

cactusgirl

Sage Tribal Queen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
From one one idiot to another, mah means milli amp hours...so the 1000mah battery should conceivably last longer between charges than than the 650 mah battery. Make sense?

To gain a basic understanding of electrical curriculum, you can take a look at HowStuffWorks "What are amps, watts, volts and ohms?".

Hope this helps!

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
100mAh = approximately 1 hour, so a 650mAh battery will last approximately 6.5 hours before it needs to be recharged. This will vary on how often it's used and the type of cartos or atties used with it.

I believe the eGo-T batteries are 3.4V, but I could be wrong. What the Vaperite description is referring to is the voltage of the batteries used with certain mods. His juices taste great when used with 3.5-5V and will taste burnt with 6V mods.

live2ride96

Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
Orland Hills, IL
Ego is considered a 3.7 volt device, but that's just a nominal voltage, meaning in name only. I believe people have tested them, and found them realistically to be between 3.2-3.4 under load. And BTW, how long your battery lasts REALLY depends on your vaping habits. My 650 Mah ego battery lasts me all day, every day, and I go through about 2-3 ml a day with the ego-t, but less with a carto or clearomizer, for some reason.

ccclady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2011
Northeast USA
From a fellow electronically-challenged person (LOL), I had the same questions recently and was helped by several of the typically-great folks here in the forums to understand what all those bewildering mAhs, volts, and such really meant :) However, what they also told me, and I've come to understand, is to try not to get too hung-up on the terminology of these things...but on the other hand, I found that it ~did~ help to gain a basic understanding of them in order to make the whole "picture" a bit clearer.

With that said, I offer the following, which I hope will help....

mAh...the unit of measure that refers to the ~life~ of the battery between charges. For example, a Joye 510 battery is 180 mAh and has a lifetime of approx. 1-1/2 to 3 hours before it has to be charged again. Conversely, an eGo battery is 650 mAh which gives it a lifetime of approx. 6-8 hours before re-charging.

Volts...refers to the battery power which controls how hot the atty's heating element burns. Most of the more common styles of ecigs across the board, (except for the special very high voltage models) run between 3.2 to 3.7 volts.

ohms...refers to the measure of resistance to the electricity that comes out of the battery. The term "ohm" is used when describing/selecting attys or cartos. A low-resistance (1.5 to 2.0 ohm) atty offers a lower resistance to the electricity from the batt which will result in more heat to the atty. Increased heat = increased TH and increased vapor. Low resistance also draws more power from the battery, however, which is why you never want to use a LR atty/carto with a battery that is low in mAh (eg: a slim 510).

Hope this helps to clear things up a bit! :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Think of mAh as the size of the gas tank in your car. The bigger the gas tank is the farther you can drive, right. It doesn't make the car go faster, just longer. Same with batteries. A 1000mAH eGo battery will last longer before needing to be recharged than a 650mAh eGo Battery. The 1000mAH has a bigger tank.

The voltage of a eGo is advertised as 3.7 volts but as others have mentioned, it is in reality more like 3.4 volts. PV's that have more volts than 3.7 are called "High Voltage PV's".

The more volts your PV puts out, 4v - 5v or even 6v, the more vapor and the more flavor your atomizer or carto can produce. They will also run hotter which might cause your juice to taste burnt. ie: "Kills Flavor"

Hope this helps.

farnzo

May 22, 2012
Cincinnati
What mah means exactly is milliamps times hours. I won't go into algebra here but nothing in front of the h means that there is a 1 there. So, if you have a 900ma battery it can put out a constant 900 milliamps for one hour. If you know the metric system then you know that 900ma is equal to .9amps, if not congratulations you live in Kentucky. Let's say you have a 1.8 Ohm atomizer and a 3.7 Volt 900mah battery. Use a little Ohm's law here to find out how many amps your battery is putting out when you push the button. 3.7 Volts divided by 1.8 Ohms = 2.06 amps. Now take .9 and divide it by 2.06 and it equals .437. Now take .437 times 60 and you get 26.22 and take .22 times 60 and you get 13.2. But, what does it all mean astronaut farmer? It means that if you push down the button on an e-cig with a 3.7 Volt 900mah battery with a 1.8 Ohm atomizer attached for a total (not all at once of course) of 26 minutes and 13.2 seconds, your battery will die. Think about it before you doubt it, you only hold the button down three seconds at a time. So, about 20 puffs per every minute the button is pressed times 26.22 minutes equals 524 puffs on that combination of hardware. I'm thinking I might make this into a handy excel spreadsheet that you could plug the Volts, mah, atomizer resistance, and average puff length, so you can see how long your setups will last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread