Removing sugar but not flavor...... suggestions?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
To put it simply it would cost much more money then it's worth to extract sugar from candy and make e-juice from what was left over, and would likely not be any good for e-juice making anyway. Just buy flavoring from a reputable DIY vendor (Most mom and pop Juice shops do that) and give the candy away at Halloween.

Don't believe everything you here. There is no such thing as a juice master's license which means you don't have to worry about studying for any exams. But then again I once went on a job interview and was told if I could find them a bucket of steam and a sky hook I could have the job so god only knows:):)

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
So my friend claiming to have a juice master license is probably lying to me?!

bD4qAFK.gif

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
In a nutshell? Perhaps. But the cost of extracting natural flavors from candy does nothing more than reinvent the wheel. Flavorings are cheap.

Try the available flavorings before you spend a lot of time using natural ingredients. After all, the candy makers use the same flavorings that are used in flavoring ejuices. We all started with Lorann's cake and candy flavorings at the outset to flavor DIY juices.

This exactly.

I am pretty new to this but am learning. I would like to make e-liquid using candy but don't know how to remove the sugar without removing flavor.

Trying to extract flavor from candy is a bad idea. It's not just sugars that are a problem but oils, starches, colorings, preservatives, fillers, wax etc... (the gunk) added when the candy was made all are potential problems as well. Any gunk that's not successfully removed may quickly foul wicks/coils and some of it might even be a inhalation hazard if extracted/vaped. If a good retail flavoring is available, that's really your best bet. There's a wide variety of high quality candy flavorings available some might even be the very ones used to "flavor" the candy you're now wanting to extract. Retail flavorings don't have all that unnecessary, undesirable gunk to worry with and would be less expensive, safer, cleaner and easier than attempting to make them yourself.

If you're still determined to experiment with extracting/making your own, you might want to browse the extraction sub-forum; Liquid Extraction From Tobacco

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I'd rather spend $2 on a flavor and make a bottle of juice in 5 min max than have to go through all the BS I would have to go through to extract flavors from candy. How long will that take. I bet a hell of a lot longer than the 5 min it takes me to mix a bottle using a flavor concentrate and that's taking my time, answering a couple txt while surfing the interweb..lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I would like to cut the cost of buying e-liquid by making them instead and that would include making flavors as well.
Hi Chris and welcome to the ECF forums. I'm glad you chose to participate; you will find lots of friendly folks with good advise.

If cost savings are your priority; then you are correct in thinking that DIY can be a good place to do it Often, a DIYer can make as-good, and/or better e-liquid, for pennies on the dollar when compared to commercially sold juices. But you won't do it by trying to "extract" your own flavorings. The additional expense of all the required equipment and materials (filters, separators, distillers, regents, binders, etc.) are going to offset, and surpass, any potential savings you might think would be there. Without all that commercial lab stuff you truly are playing with your (and your friends') health. Please don't do it. It is not worth it.

DIYers that extract tobacco flavors do so NOT because it is cheaper (it isn't); but because they are seeking flavors they can't get from commercial concentrates.
After all, the candy makers use the same flavorings that are used in flavoring ejuices.
@Chris Hendricks: This quote from @DaveP is at the heart of the topic. As these two quotes, that were taken from just to common candy's list of ingredients, state:
CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: NATURAL FLAVOR AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR
less than 2% of; citric acid, tapioca dextrin, modified corn starch, natural and artificial flavors,
This is what you are wanting to "extract" as these are what is actually contributing the flavor. (And don't forget that the yield is going to be LESS than 2% of the total volume of initial product used.) The majority of those flavors ARE coming from the very same flavor manufacturers we DIYers are buying our concentrates from. Keep in mind that most flavor manufacturers make the majority of their money, selling their product to the food and beverage industries, and NOT to the DIY sector (some will not even acknowledge the e-cig industry).

And don't be mislead by the "natural" in "natural and artificial ingredients." Those still can (and likely do) come from a flavor concentrate manufacturer. Here is just one screenshot of one flavor manufacturer as an example:
upload_2017-5-17_18-30-24.png

(source: The Flavor Apprentice)

I am guessing you are feeling kind of "ganged-up on" right now. Please don't; your question was an honest one. It is just not practical, beneficial, or particularly safe. No one wants to see you waste your time, money, or safety on such an unnecessary endeavor.:)
So my friend claiming to have a juice master license is probably lying to me?!
I do not know your friend so I won't/can't accuse them of lying. But, if it was my friend (especially if it was a friend and not just an acquaintance), and I thought they was being sincere, I would ask to see the actual certificate, or diploma, make note of the issuing organization, and go home and do some in-depth research BEFORE I invested any time or money in such a program. I would not only want to know about the educating organization, but also what businesses, and industries accept/require such certification. But that is just me.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
I'm inclined to think that if _you really know what you're doing_ you can probably make fairly safe flavorings out of all sorts of things. I'm also inclined to think that if you really know what you're doing you won't need to ask for advice here. Vaping seems pretty safe, but if you start extracting and vaping flavors willy-nilly, using any old technique, I wouldn't vouch for its safety. Unless you're prepared to spend a lot of time researching you're almost certainly going to be better off just using flavors that are generally considered safe.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
I do not know your friend so I won't/can't accuse them of lying.

I'm sure he's not lying- but what the hell is a "juice master?" I mean, I'd be happy to issue you a "juice master" certificate from the Go_Player School of Advanced Juice Studies. PM me, and I'll send you nice certificate, suitable for framing, for a very reasonable fee. For a little more I'll set you up with a BS (it's a BS, not a BA, for obvious reasons) in Juice Studies, and the best part is you'll never have to go to class, 'cause there are no classes!

But yeah, OP, if I sound like I'm making a bit of fun of your idea, please know that I'm doing so in a friendly way. We've all been there.

Last edited:

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Totally uncalled for

flambo

Feb 24, 2016
Rayonia
@Chris Hendricks

I'm not familiar with the variety of candy you aquired a shipload of.
If it's basically flavoured sugar, I suggest finding another use for it
eg use instead of sugar in iced tea
stick it in a blender and use the granules on breakfast cereal, or popcorn, if you're that way inclined.
If it's high fat & sugar, perhaps make small chunks and use in eg custard or ice cream or homemade popsicles-

If you want to create the flavour of that candy to vape;
easiest is google eg "Snickers clone" in Advanced (add "vape" and "juice")

I've lost the links to the highly regarded juice mixers on ecf. :(
However, Deeper DIY has some very knowledgeable people.
One of the moderators has a very successful juice business with a wide, vocal fan base.
(I've never tried any, because he freely admits tobaccos are not his forté,
and I have a fave DIY & far too many untried concentrates...lol)
One of the mods apparently bought a machine which could tell him exactly what is in juices (and perhaps food & drink) so he could 1:1 clone any commercial juice.

@IDJoel
Thanx for a great post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread