Second hand nicotine from vapor?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by mighty26, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mighty26

mighty26 Full Member

This is a question I have been wondering about since I do vape sometimes in the car with the window rolled down with my son in the car. I was wondering if I am exposing him to nicotine and how much? Anyone know?

2. boratg

boratg Full Member

I think as vape as similar to a cigarettes if you would not let your son smoke it (at his current age) I would not smoke in confined spaces with him.

3. IMFire3605

IMFire3605 Super Member ECF Veteran

From what I've read, the nic in e-vape disperses quicker than in analog smoke. However, erring on the side of caution is always best, especially around kids in such a confined space. Just remember also, now you are not exposing him to the other 3,999 chemicals in analog smoke that can linger on your clothes and in your breath, he was more at risk then than he is now.

4. NGAHaze

NGAHaze Infinity Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    According to the information I have read, the water vapor produced by ecigs dissipates in less than 9 seconds, considerably faster than cigarette smoke. Additionally, it does not leave deposits or contaminate everything exposed to it. That said, even second hand smoke has not been definitively proven to be an actual health risk therefore vapor from an ecig should be even less so. Of potentially more concern might be the example set by vaping in front of a child. For that reason alone I would refrain from any exposure to the child if at all possible.

5. gorethugz

gorethugz Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I do smoke in my house with my parents around. but what they told me that it doesn't give any smell or smoke. and I enjoy vape when Im driving while the window was close. hahaha

6. Cyia

Cyia Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I recall someone saying they for the last 2 years have vaped near their pet bird and have done tests on the bird to see if nicotine was being transferred to the bird an all tests on the bird came back negative. And they said they vaped literally next to their cage so I'm going to take a guess and say it's not bad as long as you don't blow it in the kids face.

Also read earlier that everyone has some sort of level of nicotine in them naturally being intake from foods ect and our environment that carry it naturally.

Don't know how well you feel about all that jazz but as I stated before I think in a car with the windows down and you aren't blowing it directly in his face, he should be fine.

7. KerryK

KerryK Super Member ECF Veteran

8. RTYPE11

RTYPE11 Full Member

by the same token if some made peanut flavor e-liquid would it trigger allergic reactions?

9. Vapoor eyes er

Vapoor eyes er ECF Guru ECF Veteran

"Conclusions: For all byproducts measured, electronic cigarettes produce very small exposures relative to tobacco cigarettes. The study indicates no apparent risk to human health from e-cigarette emissions based on the compounds analyzed."
    An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Regardless of any studies I personally choose not to vape around children.

10. N9neen9N

N9neen9N Full Member

I had a guy at work freak out because he "thought I was smoking inside" when I explained it to him, he was still concerned about the second hand vapor...I wouldn't vape with children in the room but IMO second hand vapor dissipates far too fast to be hazardous

11. DanKnowsJack

DanKnowsJack Senior Member ECF Veteran

Have you ever given your child tomatoes? Hell even tomato sauce... Marinara, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce? Because if you have, than you have given your child direct exposure to nicotine. All members of the nightshade family contain nicotine, including tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant..... And many, many more.

12. xchevyss2005x

xchevyss2005x Full Member

Great writeup, very informative thank you!

13. iceman68

iceman68 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I feel sorry for the bird being used as a test subject with no say in the matter. :p It's kinda like the canary in a coal mine.

And how did the subsequent testing get done? I can just imagine the conversation at the veterinarian:

Bird Owner: "I'd like to get my bird tested for nicotine."
    Vet: "How much does he smoke?"
    Bird Owner: "Nobody smokes, we vape right next to his cage."
    Vet: "You what?"

I'm glad the bird is okay.

14. BigLebowski

BigLebowski Super Member ECF Veteran

I can see the conversation happening, the bird is just hanging out waiting for another hit, chirping like a fiend.

15. vapo jam

vapo jam Super Member ECF Veteran

i saw that one too - something about how bird's respiratory systems are a lot faster and a lot more sensitive than humans, so since no chemicals from ecigs were detected in the bird, there's supposedly zero chance that it would have any effect on a person. (don't know how true this statement is, just repeating what i remember)

wish i saved the link... i'll post it if i can find it

16. dynasty27

dynasty27 Full Member

17. Pegster

Pegster Full Member

From what I understand, studies here in NZ say there is basically no nicotine in exhaled vapor at all, and there is also no risk.

18. sonicdsl

sonicdsl Reviewers Mgr
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    There have been at least two major studies since the thread quoted above of the so-called "second-hand vapor":

ClearStream Air Published! | ClearStream by FlavourArt

IVAQS Project

As someone else put it, you would have to exhale the vapor directly into their mouth in order for someone else to receive any measurable nicotine from exhaled vapor (and even then it wouldn't be enough to produce any type of effect).

Also, check the CASAA website at CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association (and join while you're there! :) ) for many other documents on this and other related topics.

19. markent

markent Full Member

I think that as one of the largest attacks on the use of e cigarettes is that they will encourage younger people to to become nicotine users, that not vaping in frpnt of them is probably more responsible, firstly this reduces the risk of normalising nicotine use hence reducing thennumber of people taking up nicotine use and there by lessening one argument in favour of restrictive legislation

20. mtw4shore

mtw4shore Moved On

I think we can all agree that we don't want our children to smoke. It is a filthy, unhealthy habit with more drawbacks than could be written. That is why we quit! The difference between smoking and vaping is not known to a child, especially younger ones. I can't say if you should or shouldn't vape in your car with your child, windows up or down, that's your right as their parent. All I can ask is- do YOU think you should? Go with what you think is right.
    My parents smoked in the car with the windows up. My sisters and I would open the windows to get the smoke out because it would burn our eyes, and we would get yelled at for letting out the cold/warm air out. For that reason, I never smoked in the car with my daughter, and I don't vape with her either. :2c:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.