FDA Should E-Cigarettes be regulated like a medicine? Such as nicotine patch, gums and inhalers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Without good access to better stuff than what BT sells in the Stop & Rob stores? I kinda doubt it.
So they go on dual using until they get that sorted out. I'm just saying there may be a lot of potential for smokers to quit who have been dual users for an extended period of time. Cigarettes cost 30 cents EACH and you do feel better when you vape instead of smoke. My bet is those 2 positive reinforcements will wear down the stubborn smoker over time.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
It is ironic that food grade flavoring is allowed in cigarettes then burned but food grade flavoring might not be allowed in ecigs which don't burn anything. I read this morning that a consumer research company says 59% of current smokers vape at least once a week. Could percentage possibly be that high. My own perception is anybody who doesn't stop vaping will eventually stop smoking. Could there be a delayed reaction thing going on here. In the next 18 months might we see a dramatic decline in smokers because those dual users finally quit?

I kinda hope not.

Perhaps in a hundred years. But doubtful in the next 10 to 25 years.

Reactions: skoony

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I think it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

Sometime in the 90s when the nicotine inhalers became available and started being advertised on TV, I thought it sounded like it might have a better chance of working than those useless patches. So I asked my doctor about them. He told me that he could not prescribe the nicotine inhaler to me, because I have asthma. I said, 'so it would be worse for me than continuing to smoke?' He said no, absolutely not, but his hands were tied -- because of my medical history of asthma, he was prohibited from prescribing me the nicotine inhaler.

Stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it, whatever idiot came up with this idea of having vaping be by prescription only -- if it was, I wouldn't have been able to use it either, and I'd still be smoking!

Andria

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
I think it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

Sometime in the 90s when the nicotine inhalers became available and started being advertised on TV, I thought it sounded like it might have a better chance of working than those useless patches. So I asked my doctor about them. He told me that he could not prescribe the nicotine inhaler to me, because I have asthma. I said, 'so it would be worse for me than continuing to smoke?' He said no, absolutely not, but his hands were tied -- because of my medical history of asthma, he was prohibited from prescribing me the nicotine inhaler.

Stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it, whatever idiot came up with this idea of having vaping be by prescription only -- if it was, I wouldn't have been able to use it either, and I'd still be smoking!

Andria

Those who want tobacco to be deemed under "Pharmaceuticals" or medicine need to read this ^^^. You'd need a prescription for it. And it's just as expensive to get the FDA to approve a medicine. Plus vaping isn't toxic enough for them to approve it as a medicine!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Well, since an e-cig, ANY form of e-cig, has very little in common with pharmaceuticals, and every industry I know of that has that kind of regulation is in the business of making BILLIONS of dollars through monopolization and corruption, I'm gonna say "no".

How about this?
It's more like a cell phone. Battery, race in electronic innovation, lots of different models, lots of personal choice. Let's regulate them like we regulate cell phone hardware.

Then Nicotine can get regulated like Caffeine.

These are more rational and scientifically justifiable comparisons than those to pharmaceuticals or to tobacco. Right?

So -
Regulate mods like they're phones or tablets.
Regulate Nic like its caffeine.

I'm fine with that.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Well, since an e-cig, ANY form of e-cig, has very little in common with pharmaceuticals, and every industry I know of that has that kind of regulation is in the business of making BILLIONS of dollars through monopolization and corruption, I'm gonna say "no".

How about this?
It's more like a cell phone. Battery, race in electronic innovation, lots of different models, lots of personal choice. Let's regulate them like we regulate cell phone hardware.

Then Nicotine can get regulated like Caffeine.

These are more rational and scientifically justifiable comparisons than those to pharmaceuticals or to tobacco. Right?

So -
Regulate mods like they're phones or tablets.
Regulate Nic like its caffeine.

I'm fine with that.

I'm with you on that! If only we could get the FDA to agree, or the White House! :blink:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Plus vaping isn't toxic enough for them to approve it as a medicine!

nuez-de-la-india-side-effects.png

blankpage.gif

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Those who want tobacco to be deemed under "Pharmaceuticals" or medicine need to read this ^^^. You'd need a prescription for it. And it's just as expensive to get the FDA to approve a medicine. Plus vaping isn't toxic enough for them to approve it as a medicine!

Well it's very true that with my asthma, I've had probably a few more hurdles to deal with than a non-asthmatic, to find a way to vape that doesn't leave me unable to breathe -- but I'm not a total nincompoop! I worked it out! I'll be a tootle puffer forever, with 85% PG, because that's all I CAN be, and all I CAN vape, but that's ok; it got me off cigarettes and keeps me that way. Will I quit vaping? I dunno; it's possible I suppose, particularly if my asthma gets worse in years to come -- but y'know, without all that toxic sludge in my lungs, I think my asthma will continue being less and less of a problem -- I had a fairly long period in which vaping actually seemed to bother my lungs worse than smoking did, but I'm pretty sure that's because cigarettes have all that topical anesthetic in them, to persuade my lungs to accept the hot smoke and not cough myself insensible with every puff, and once all that junk was out of my lungs, I had to get used to my lungs NOT being full of toxic sludge.

Now I've been off cigarettes for 16 months, my breathing is a bit better; I still need the Advair I had to add after I started vaping, but I no longer need the high dose of steroids, just the low dose, and I find that vaping is a lot less "urgently necessary" than it used to be. I'm not going to kid myself that I'm "cured," I smoked for 39 yrs and next to that, 16 months is a drop in the ocean... but the time might come when I can be a casual vaper, because I enjoy it, instead of a regular all-the-time vaper because I have to be. If so, great! But even if I continue to need vaping as the way to stay off cigarettes, that's ok too, because I KNOW it's not harming me nearly as badly as those cigarettes for 39 yrs did.

There is absolutely no reason to make vaping a prescription-only thing. If someone can't handle it because of whatever is wrong with their lungs, then they can't handle it -- but if they really wanted to make it work, I'm willing to bet that they could -- if they really wanted to be free of cigarettes badly enough. I did, and I do, so I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make it work.

Andria

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm with you on that! If only we could get the FDA to agree, or the White House! :blink:

This forum has 235,000 Members.

And I'm sure that for Each and Every member here, that there are at Least 2 Individuals who have seen the Benefits of e-Cigarettes.

So we should have what, Six, Seven Hundred Thousand Signatures on something like this...

White house petition

... just from ECF Members and their Friends Alone.

You put Six Hundred Thousand signatures on a Petition and CNN will give you a 2 Minute Slice. And the Whitehouse and State House and Senate Members will take Notice.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
This forum has 235,000 Members.

And I'm sure that for Each and Every member here, that there are at Least 2 Individuals who have seen the Benefits of e-Cigarettes.

So we should have what, Six, Seven Hundred Thousand Signatures on something like this...

White house petition

... just from ECF Members and their Friends Alone.

You put Six Hundred Thousand signatures on a Petition and CNN will give you a 2 Minute Slice. And the Whitehouse and State House and Senate Members will take Notice.

I signed and I had my husband sign and he's not even a member here! Hmmm, where are all our vapers?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
I signed and I had my husband sign and he's not even a member here! Hmmm, where are all our vapers?

BTW: I always have my Mom sign everything, send letters and stuff too. Well I sign on her behalf. But... her email has been messed up lately so when I go down for Thanksgiving this weekend I will sign everything on her behalf. I got her into vaping last year. A woman with a 50+ year habit of 3 packs a day quit overnight. I make all her juice and mail it to her monthly. I also buy her coils and new gear here and there. Anything to keep her healthy and here as long as possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread