Slow ramp up time on mech mod ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
Hi guys ,was feeling quite "ambitious" and recently tried a new build on my mech mod , using 26g kanthal dual parallel coil build at 9 wraps each with a 3.0mm ID . Ohm reading at 0.29ohms and using the LGHE4 battery (yellow battery, and yes I've read up on ohm's law)

It takes like a long time for the coil to heat up and when it does , the vapour production is so-so , not like my other single parallel coil build (0.39ohms). Is there a mistake I've made ? Shouldn't lower ohms = faster ramp up time ? Or am I missing something out here :(

EDIT : nvm lol changed the coil to a micro dual coil. Results were better . Thanks for the help

Last edited:

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Thats a lot of mass to heat up, hence the longer ramp up. You could try the same build with N80 nichrome or 316L SS (which would considerably drop your resistance) and get a bit faster ramp up but on a mech I would stay with a single parallel.

Also, make sure your contacts are clean for maximum conductivity.

Reactions: Newtimer

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
Thats a lot of mass to heat up, hence the longer ramp up. You could try the same build with N80 nichrome or 316L SS (which would considerably drop your resistance) and get a bit faster ramp up but on a mech I would stay with a single parallel.

Also, make sure your contacts are clean for maximum conductivity.
Thanks for the help . I changed my build into a simple dual micro coil , much better results ! Thanks :)

Reactions: B2L

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
Regardless of resistance, the more metal to heat, the longer it will take (ramp up time). A single parallel coil will ramp up faster than a dual coil build because there's just plain less metal to bring to temp.
Thanks . Yup I've changed them to dual micro coils . Funny thing was before dry burning my fresh coils , the reading was 0.29 , then after dry burning , it went to 0.37 . Read through some threads here that it's normal ? Lol

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Thanks . Yup I've changed them to dual micro coils . Funny thing was before dry burning my fresh coils , the reading was 0.29 , then after dry burning , it went to 0.37 . Read through some threads here that it's normal ? Lol

Yeah you can gain a little after a burn in, also re-check your screws are still tight afterwards as they can sometimes loosen a little which will also add some.

So now are you running dual 4 wrap 26g kanthal on 2.5 id ?

Reactions: Newtimer

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
Yeah you can gain a little after a burn in, also re-check your screws are still tight afterwards as they can sometimes loosen a little which will also add some.

So now are you running dual 4 wrap 26g kanthal on 2.5 id ?
Noted. Thanks ! I'm actually running it on a dual 6 wrap 26g kanthal with an ID similar to that of a 20g needle (slightly bigger) Didn't really measure the ID of the item I used to wrap my coils with (i don't have the equipment lol) but it's definitely smaller than 2.5 , I'm assuming maybe around 2.0 or smaller.

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
Sound
Right now my mechanical is built using dual 3mm Diam. 5wrap 25 GA ss316 on LG HB2's. It's warm, cools down and ramps up quickly and predictably, and vapor production is thick and flavorful.
Sounds good. Idk why is it that when I'm coiling with 26g kanthal, anything more than 3ID will have a slow ramp up time (not unless I go lesser wraps, which kills the flavour and vapour for me).

Do you have any recommendations for 26g builds that would yield a safe 0.25ohm? I'm currently running on a dual parallel 26g kanthal at 2.5ID 8wraps , ramp up is quite slow but acceptable, would prefer something that would heat up fast with decent vapor and flavour production :(

Skeintastic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2016
I would skip using kanthal on a mech if your ramp up time is getting to you. Only by decreasing your resistance will you decrease your ramp time and that requires you having the right batteries. Kanthal is a goto for my cores on single coil fused for tanks and for my fused on series. The slower ramp up is ideal for those purpose.

I would switch wire. I don't like less than 5wraps on my round wire builds (and I prefer the vapor characteristics from 2.5 and 3mm coils) and 24 GA Kanthal isn't predictable in cool down time.

Get some 24 and 26ga ni80 and ss316 and experiment.

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
Try removing 1 coil, if the remaining coil heats up far faster you're getting loss in the mod itself.
Thanks . I changed it to just a simple 26g 4 wraps 2.5 ID . Everything's much better now .

I would skip using kanthal on a mech if your ramp up time is getting to you. Only by decreasing your resistance will you decrease your ramp time and that requires you having the right batteries. Kanthal is a goto for my cores on single coil fused for tanks and for my fused on series. The slower ramp up is ideal for those purpose.

I would switch wire. I don't like less than 5wraps on my round wire builds (and I prefer the vapor characteristics from 2.5 and 3mm coils) and 24 GA Kanthal isn't predictable in cool down time.

Get some 24 and 26ga ni80 and ss316 and experiment.
Noted. Thanks .

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
Kanthal is an energy hungry beast it takes longe to ramp and equally as long to cool off and if you want to get coverage go smaller ID wraps with more wraps if you want larger ID go fewer wraps but like many have said move to a better wire such as nichrome 80 or stainless they are much Lower resistance and ramp very quickly off single battery mechs and because of the lower resistance you can go bigger ID and more wraps and it still won't hurt your ramp time nearly as bad as a Kanthal build. I haven't used Kanthal in over 3 years. Here's one of my N80 builds I run on my parallel tug box.
IMG_20160801_190548.jpg

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
Kanthal is an energy hungry beast it takes longe to ramp and equally as long to cool off and if you want to get coverage go smaller ID wraps with more wraps if you want larger ID go fewer wraps but like many have said move to a better wire such as nichrome 80 or stainless they are much Lower resistance and ramp very quickly off single battery mechs and because of the lower resistance you can go bigger ID and more wraps and it still won't hurt your ramp time nearly as bad as a Kanthal build. I haven't used Kanthal in over 3 years. Here's one of my N80 builds I run on my parallel tug box. View attachment 609327
Very neat build ! I'll give those wires a try, thing is I was told those are meant for TC? I know nickel should only be used on TC and not on powermode. Are those considered "safe" to use for powermode?

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
The crown tank came out before temp control and was running 316L wire in their coils and N80 isn't compatible with TC but you don't want to use NI 200 or titanium wire with any power mode besides TC as they are dangerous. N60, N80, SS 316L are ok in power or regular wattage mode and SS 316L can be used for TC as well

I use N80 for all my non TC builds and only SS 316L for TC builds. Titanium is too risky as is NI200 and I haven't done any research on platinum wire yet.

Hmm alright, noted. Thanks for the information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread