Smok AL85

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuroceper

Mar 9, 2017
i bought this mod a week ago and i still dicovering cool little detail about it. like when the battery is running out, instead off firing weaker until its completely died (like my beloved pico does) its completely stop firing at aproximately 20% battery capacity. i knew it because when i charged it via usb port it shows that the battery still have 20% power on it. i think they do it to protect the battery. i'd like to know if you also found this feature :)

Reactions: centauri272

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I contacted FT about my AL85 that still hasn't shipped. They told me they got confirmation from the manufacturer that it would be available to ship on 3/15. Original estimated ship date was 2/28, then 3/6.

Just checked, and it seems that for about $4-6 more, you can order it locally, and have it shipped for FREE, and it includes the tank!

PM me and I'm happy to tell you where I found it for $40 shipped, with the tank! (or do a Google search, which is how I originally found it. They've already shipped it, I should have it Monday, and I ordered it on Thursday)

Reactions: Eskie

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
Just checked, and it seems that for about $4-6 more, you can order it locally, and have it shipped for FREE, and it includes the tank!

PM me and I'm happy to tell you where I found it for $40 shipped, with the tank! (or do a Google search, which is how I originally found it. They've already shipped it, I should have it Monday, and I ordered it on Thursday)
I decided to order from FT because they accept PayPal, and I used my PayPal credit line to pay for it. Otherwise I would have bought it locally.

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

kuroceper

Mar 9, 2017
I love the form factor of my Pico and I actually felt in love of the AL85 because of that big screen . I don't mind about the small difference in wattage but I'd like to know if anybody of you who's been using both of them can give any info on the differences (if any) in battery life. thanks in advance.
greetings :) well at first i think that the bigger screen may impact the battery life in someway. but after using it for a week now i cant tell any difference on battery life on 3200mah battery. it still last me 8-9 hours of moderate use so its good for me.

Last edited:

nonnasonica

Mar 10, 2017
Italy
but after using it for a week now i cant tell any difference on battery life on 3200mah battery. it still last me 8-9 hours of moderate use so its good for me.
kuroceper I have a few questions for you:
what's the average ohming of your atomizer(s)?
is your coil(s) kanthal, SS316L or other lower resistance metal?
wattage mode or TC?
can you measure the Volts of the battery when the AL85 stops working?
The Pico starts firing weaker at around 3,3V and stops working (empty battery flashing and -lock- appears on the screen) at around 3,17-3,15V no matter the battery I'm using (Sony VTC5, Samsung IMR25R green, Keeppower IMR black all 2550mAh).
I vape in TC mode SS316L 0,38-0,39 ohms 200-210°C on aromamizers dual coil
thanks in advance

Steveohant

Feb 7, 2017
i knew it because when i charged it via usb port it shows that the battery still have 20% power on it. i think they do it to protect the battery. i'd like to know if you also found this feature :)
I alternate a Sony VTC6 & a Samsung 30Q in my AL85, both of my batteries seem to stop at about 3.35V. At least when I put them in the charger that's what they read, since it's not a good idea to run these batteries flat (for longer life) I'm happy about this feature.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Looking forward to winning one of these in the current giveaway. But as for buying one...... nah. Only advancement I see * for me * Would be the early battery cutoff, but I can see the battery getting low on a Pico and swap it out. For my money I'll stick with the proven commodity and get more Picos. And more. And more.

Reactions: Jingles

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well, I wasn't and then I did (thanks @Shel ;) ). I don't know what I'll do with the BB, but I figure my OBS Engine will look good on top as it's a 25 mm tank, and won't go on my Picos, and effectively earn me the perfect least likely to leak award for a travel about setup. At least that's how I'm justifying it.:rolleyes:

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
Well after FT told me the manufacturer confirmed the AL85's would be in stock today, I checked and found out the estimated shipping has been pushed back another 10 days. I wanted a red and black one but they only have the silvers so I asked them to send me that instead.

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Got my gunmetal Baby a few days ago, and I've really been loving it! Small size, compact, and the tank is fantastic! Great flavor and large clouds! Has a very solid, well built feel, and the screen is large and very legible.

Also very easy to change out the battery and change settings. My battery cover is very smooth, unlike the one on one of the YouTube reviewers... he complained that the battery cap was "crunchy"... mine is very smooth.

Anyone know if you can lock the setting when in Wattage mode? I know you can lock the device, but I want to be able to lock it so that it doesn't change my wattage accidentally. It's done it a couple of times... not that big a deal, it only changes it a tenth of a degree or so, and not very often.

Thanks in advance. Anyone on the fence about this combo.... get it! You won't be sorry.

Steveohant

Feb 7, 2017
Anyone know if you can lock the setting when in Wattage mode? I know you can lock the device, but I want to be able to lock it so that it doesn't change my wattage accidentally. It's done it a couple of times... not that big a deal, it only changes it a tenth of a degree or so, and not very often.

Thanks in advance. Anyone on the fence about this combo.... get it! You won't be sorry.[/QUOTE]

If you set your wattage then add it to a memory slot it'll stay at that wattage using memory mode[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steveohant

Feb 7, 2017
Ok thought I'd explain that a little better..
3 clicks of the trigger
mode should be the first option on the screen
Hold down the trigger you enter mode.
It'll ask you what strength normal, hard, or soft. Scroll though these with a click of the trigger or the buttons below the screen.
You then enter memory settings set each memory slots wattage using the buttons below the screen.
Scroll through each preset memory slot using the trigger.
Press the trigger to select.
You're now ready to vape in memory mode.
The buttons below the screen will now only scroll through the memory preset's as you require.
Hope this helps!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Ha, my gunmetal arrived today as well. Nice little kit. I had an Alien already and really like it, and when this came up on a sale I figured why not? I got the Alien mod only (another nice sale pickup) so this is my first with the BB tank. After breaking in the 0.4 ohm coil (all these Q2, Q4, all over the place names confuse me even worse than Kanger and their SOCC nomenclature) it's a nice vape right at 40W. I plan to pair it with a black Engine I have for the perfect out and about no leak setup. I have a bunch of Picos, but they won't take a 25 mm tank and the AL85 will.

zzenigma

Mar 18, 2017
i got an al85 the other day and the resistance isnt wright i put in a .8ohm coil and it reads 3ohms and changes each time i take it off and put it back on. every once in a while i get close and as long as when i change tanks i select old or have to screw around with it. the place i got it from is not answering back and i sent an email to support and no answer. anyone have any ideas? i really like it when its working but getting mad with it

Steveohant

Feb 7, 2017
i got an al85 the other day and the resistance isnt wright i put in a .8ohm coil and it reads 3ohms and changes each time i take it off and put it back on. every once in a while i get close and as long as when i change tanks i select old or have to screw around with it. the place i got it from is not answering back and i sent an email to support and no answer. anyone have any ideas? i really like it when its working but getting mad with it

That sound really annoying have you tried another coil or tank? Does it still happen with others??

zzenigma

Mar 18, 2017
Yup tried 4 tanks on it. And they all did the same thing. I really want to like this mod but with problems like this I'm stuck and not going to spend another 50 on another one. Kind of a bummer. Someone said maybe firmware update or is there a way to reset the firmware? This mod looks like you hook to computer and it auto updates firmware from unit

Steveohant

Feb 7, 2017
Yup tried 4 tanks on it. And they all did the same thing. I really want to like this mod but with problems like this I'm stuck and not going to spend another 50 on another one. Kind of a bummer. Someone said maybe firmware update or is there a way to reset the firmware? This mod looks like you hook to computer and it auto updates firmware from unit

You can hook the mod to your computer, should have been a cable in your kit.
I does sound like a firmware issue tho, since there's nothing else it could really be!
I looked on Smok's website and I couldn't see any links to AL85 firmware, there's certainly no update as yet.
That said I did look on my phone, maybe from a computer the website would reveal more! Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread